Would you be so kind...

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Would you be so kind...

Would you be so kind to tear this down?

There's alot to work on for this piece... but I am having trouble pushing to the finish although I really desire to.
    Please give me some crit, tear it down if you want to so I have some clearer direction to move on with this image.

Would you be so kind...
    Would you be so kind...

I took two shots at the same image... one provides clearer view of the details, another one is more accurate in colors.

Acrylic painting... 8 hours so far.

altarstudio.com
    I put my work on the altar, it's my gift to the world
    Mayshing's Journey sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,

You asked to be torn apart, so here it is

The clouds and the rocks where the person is standing on are really impressive. And composition wise, the viewer is instantly drawn to the village lit by what seems to be light creeping form in between some clouds. That's where I think you are successful.

Where you're not so successful, is with the sky above the clouds in the background. What's up with the red strip and then yellow above? Are they supposed to represent a sunset? I guess the point of it s to refelct the sunlit village in colors, which is a good idea, but it's not working.

Your character looks like it's made of solid gold. I guess it's supposed to look like it's alose being lit by a beam of direct sunlight, but that isn't clear. Perhaps illuminate the rocks around him/her

What also bothers me is the village. It's built right under this massive cliff wall. What if there's a big downpoor and rocks get loose from the cliff? And the houses are clumped together without any logic to them. They look like they're randomly scatterd around. Wouldn't they be built along a road perhaps?

Bottom line is, in my opinion, that your piece lacks strongly in planning. Try thumbnailing in the future. Your painting skills are good, it's a shame the 'design' behind your piece isn't matched with them.

Feng Zhu said as a concept artist, you are first a designer, then an artist.

Good luck

aa.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the very thoughful and complete critque. I never considered myself a good painter, thank you for the reassurance.
    I will certainly replace the placement of the village.

The red strip is not working for me either. Originally, I started it with an abstract painting. Experiementing with abstract element, but now it's certainly not working for the piece.

Would you be so kind...
    Would you be so kind...

This is what I have gotten so far after some editing.

altarstudio.com
    I put my work on the altar, it's my gift to the world
    Mayshing's Journey sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.