Thanks

Rate of failure vs. success

Ignore this if this is out of place. I haven't really taken the time to familiarize myself with these forums. At any rate, for those of you who have exhibited, attempted to, or established yourself in the local art scene (even mildly), how many failures did you have to endure before getting any success? I understand different elements affect that one. But, I was hoping to pick up a generalization, especially when dealing with prominent galleries and art scenes.

Anyone really can chime into this. I just need something to boost my esteem at the moment.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC
    Ignore this if this is out of place. I haven't really taken the time to familiarize myself with these forums. At any rate, for those of you who have exhibited, attempted to, or established yourself in the local art scene (even mildly), how many failures did you have to endure before getting any success? I understand different elements affect that one. But, I was hoping to pick up a generalization, especially when dealing with prominent galleries and art scenes.

Anyone really can chime into this. I just need something to boost my esteem at the moment.
    Consider this....

A guess would be 80-85 percent of all artists in art school will fall off the map and not succeed with their dreams. The upper one percent finds success quickly. Llewellyn was selling in galleries as soon as he tried to do it. It just depends if you are ready and your work is ready too. Carl Dobsky has been making a living with his painting skills since college with me. Andrew..same thing...Coro took a little longer cuz he wasnt getting his work out...he had such piles of stuff when he was discovered by petey konig and hooked up with his shaba job. he moves more artwork thru galleries now than anyone here or anyone else i personally know. He was ready for it.

If your work is strong, your presentation MARKETABLE..then you will find success quickly. People are looking ALWAYS for the next big success. Be ready for when the opportunity finds you or you find it. You dont want to miss the boat...but there are many...so be ready for anything...that way you can take advantage of as many opportunities as possible.

good luck

J

Thanks
    change your name into one of the succesful artists here and you are on the way to success.
    just kidding.
    myself dunno, havent tried the path of making money of it yet, heard art is the hardest path to walk if you want success.

sometimes its seems like some will like your art more if they like you and your personallity. guess its like any other business. contacts and luck basicly.

to boost your esteem would be difficult.
    for a left brained computer technician that never had drawn anything it would be most difficult to get a job with anything art related.

if some dude says it was easy for him, maybe it was becouse he was very talanted and was in the right line of art and so forth. you get it?

but i dont think its all about talant, 60% luck 30% contacts and 10% talant.

good luck thou.

Thanks
    yea those 10% talent was more based on that you can acctually draw

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort
    myself dunno, havent tried the path of making money of it yet, heard art is the hardest path to walk if you want success.
    My sister is a graduate of "The Culinary Institute" in upstate, NY. According to her instructors, more restaurants go out of business than any other type of business. So believe it or not, there are people out there who have a tougher time making a go of it than us. Still, if you want to succeed in illustration you need to have the stomach to take some incredible dissapointments, dust yourself off and keep trying. Fine artists have it even harder.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    This is funny, mostly because MC Hammer said it on his behind the music, but also because its true.

"Success is the intersection of chance and preperation"

Basically what Manley said.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    you forgot the factor of knowing the right people/connections...

kinda like a friend calling you saying: "Hey, I'm renovating this gallery and they are looking for new artists to exhibit.." (happened to me)

it always helps to know someone who has had an exhibition at the place you want to show your works in, or someone who works there...

had two exhibitions that way- both were of mediocre success, but I wouldnt call them "failures".

my art was shown - I even sold 3 pieces - and I got in contact with the right people who are willing to show my work if I ever want to attend and exhibition again (dont feel like I'm gonna do one soon though - wanna get more experience in fine arts first to ensure full success).

apart from that: basically evrything the others said..

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    There's Hammer with the wisdom again. God bless 'em. I still can't touch it.

Thanks
    Mort : I'm not sure if you're serious 'bout' those percentages but i don't
    agree at all. 60% luck?! Personally, I don't believe so much in luck. I think it's
    all about grasping opportunity when it comes around, and having the balls to
    leap for oppurtunity even if it's uncertain in any way.

Luck is something that mainly lives in the heads of people who never grasped opportunity.
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    I always thought that the problem isn't that an individual will fail to be successful as an artist, but that they will usually fail to be anything more then mediocre in their career.