Learning art by yourself....

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Learning art by yourself....

Hello everyone

I'm new here as you might have noticed, no post regarding my drawings yet, I'm just finding it hard to get to the scanner. So the reason I posted this thread is that I never went to art school, nor did I have any teachers to tell me how to....do anything. And how do you feel, do you think that I might be able to pull it off by myself, or should I seek professional help
    So I'm asking you for one thing....be honest, and tell me what you think about my case, without having the advantage of seeing my drawings first, so that your oppinion would be a generalized one.
    And that's it, that's the question....."Is art possible by yourself, without the proper education for it?"

Think about it
    P.S.: How would you have managed if you hadn't gone to art school?(regarding art of course)
    ________
    Good crit-ers will be rewarded a chocolate-chipped cookie

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take Life Drawing Classes.....regardless.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, never having gone to art school myself, I think it's managable. CA has definately been a huge help in many regards the past couple of years, because here, really, you aren't learning art by yourself. This place is a HUGE resource. Take advantage of it.

The best thing that I can suggest is do your studies. You don't have a link to a sketchbook or anything in your sig so I have no idea where you are skill wise, but keep to the basics and then start working out from there once you are comfortable with those. That's probably the best basic advice anyone can give without seeing what you can do.

The other thing is identify what type of art speaks to you the most, and then pursue that, but don't neglect your basics in favor of "style". For myself, I prefer more of a realistic approach, with illustrative touches, but I'm not quite sold on photo realism. You may prefer more of a comic style, I don't know.

but study whatever school it is that you prefer (school here being method of illustration). Find someone who is a master of that school that is willing to teach you, and then apply yourself.

And make sure that you open up a sketch thread if you haven't already, get busy, and don't worry about replies. Focus on your art, and to hell with the rest.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice Oreg, one question, what do you use for the colour drawings (medium, stencils, everything), because so far I only drew in black and white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW! Oregano, you have never gone to art school!? I'm impressed.
    Charlie_2.0
    Talking from my experience..
    there is a lot of good things about artschool. One you get a good basis in the Basics, understanding of value, color,composition, design, anatomy, form,how to use certain mediums, and discipline. If you go to a good school where they have good teachers who have discovered their own tricks with doing things, this in my opinion is very valuable. They will show you many demos of how they do those tricks, or aslo just the basics on how to draw or paint something. It is more of a hands on experience.

The bad things about art school is, after graduation. haha. Maybe it was the school I went to but they focused a lot on the basics and technique, and not so much on the creative/originality aspect. Which I am trying to find for myself at this point, getting back to how I thought when I was a kid. Not so much how I draw things with style, but what is my subject matter, how do I want to express an idea or story. Another bad thing about school is it's expensive.
    I feel you will learn quicker with school, rather then teaching yourself. You will need a lot of discipline. If you teach yourself or decide to go solo. still take life drawing classes somewhere. It will help you immensely. Pick up a few art books also, go to museums or Galleries, and just observe things. this will help you. Learn all the things I stated above, like value and whatnot, and don't forget about your creativity, that is also very important.

good luck man, in whatever you choose,

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_2.0
    Thanks for the advice Oreg, one question, what do you use for the colour drawings (medium, stencils, everything), because so far I only drew in black and white.
    Hey, no problem.

for myself, if I'm working digitally, I'll do a graphite (pencil) sketch, scan it and clean it up some, and do all my color work in Corel's Painter 9.

If I'm working traditionally, which isn't as often as I'd like right now, I usually work in oils. But I've also been known to work in colored pencil, acrylics (yuck) and water colors (meh, phooey). I prefer oils and colored pencils, though, as they are the most intuitive for me. But that just comes from lots and lots and lots of practice, and I'm still not where I want to be.

For working surface (again, talking traditional mediums) I'm pretty well all over the map right now. I use regular typing paper or my sketchbook for drawing, and then I've got a small ton of canvases for painting. Once I use those up, I'm switching over to Illustration board because back in the day (like fifteen years ago) I always prefered it's smooth surface to roughness of canvas. Took me a while to recall that little tidbit though (I didn't do any artwork to speak of for about 10 years, give or take, and just got back into doing seriously about 3 years ago). Plus I just purchased a used projector that I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of so I can get my pencil and paper sketches onto canvas/illustration board accurately.

Drawing in black and white can be incredibly evocotive, if handled correctly, so don't sell yourself short on that note.

Again, hope that helps,
    Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Oregano, you really deserve that medal of honor thingy blinking next to your ninck, I never thought I'd get any help on this forum-since almoast everyone's an art school graduate, and I'm here with a telecommunications technician's diploma-, no offense to the ones who do care.
    Thank you for your help guys, I'm ready to learn more, don't refrain from posting your ideas and tips, maybe share some techniques (now I know I'm asking too much...).
    your help is highly appreciated

Thanks again guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Charlie: I'm another self-taught, never even finished college, had a 30+year career in graphic design (with occasional illustration, filmmaking, etc., to relieve the tedium), am currently recovering skills (and my soul). I work much like Oregano at the mo', may be doing more traditional stuff soon 'cause i'm starting to tutor my daughter, who wants to attend art school (hope I can swing the $).

total formal art courses in my life: 2. one was jewelrymaking

it can be done. stick with it, even when it hurts some (it will). it is worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, you've gotten some great feedback so far!

Get all the studying material you can manage. Get all the books by Andrew Loomis, you used to be able to get them for free at saveloomis.org. You can still get them for free elsewhere on the web, you just have to do a little searching.

Draw and paint regularly, every day if you can manage it. Study, practice, experiment, ask for criticism.

If you can attend courses, do so. Figure drawing, illustration, etc.

Check the requierments of the studios or companies that you're interested in working with. Train yourself until you can send decent samples that at least meet the requiernments and quality. Look at the works by other illustrators who have worked for them, and strive for a similar quality of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say I dont think that any one can " learn Art" but I do know its possible for an artist to grow in many different aspects thus strengthening there understanding of light form and shape thus giving them more creative choices and allowing for them to express them selves better.I think that ultimatly the choice wont change your growing as an artist. the very fact that your a member of this site will ensure your growth, but how fast you grow might differ when and if you do decide.

Last edited by Robert.B; February 6th, 2006 at 08:28 PM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you guys are interested I managed to scrounge up pictures of an old sculpture of mine(abstract of course), and also a picture of a face I'm still working on (W.I.P. doesn't even begin to describe it),wich I'll also post when it's finished.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOW! Oregano, you have never gone to art school!? I'm impressed
    ditto on that

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by poise
    WOW! Oregano, you have never gone to art school!? I'm impressed.
    ditto on that
    aw, shucks guys. T'ain't no big thang.

~Shane

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another thought about not going to art school... I never did either, but don't fall into the trap that I went into. I had it as a hobby, and for a while I wasn't progressing, and not much time to work on what I had. Which ended up with that for several years I didn't do anything with my drawing, and it took a year, a year and a half just to get up to where I once was skill wise, and I'm turning into an old woman.

Don't forget to spend tons and tons of time on it even if you're not feeling you're getting anywhere. If you're serious that is. Else you're gonna look back and think "man, what a waste of time".... And end up as a hobby artist like me.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While it is completely possible for you to be self-motivated and learn on your own, school is a great opportunity to grow and learn with other artists... being active here helps, but getting to know other people that are into the same things you are is priceless. You can't create anything of value in a vaccuum... get out, take some lifedrawing classes if you can. I felt the same way going into art school, that it was unnecessary... and a lot of it was, but the things I learned that weren't in the curriculum were what really made it worth my time. It was fun, and in turn made me enjoy making art all the more. I also learned a lot by doing projects that I normally wouldn't attempt on my own- and that's where you grow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey
    I'll say this in english though we're from the same country and town even (who the hell r u anyway? )
    I've been thru art school since 5th grade, university included
    Ihave some of my hi-school teachers to thanks for certain technical advice and artistical guidelines. I have NOTHING to thank my univ. teachers for, except absurd school taxes and truckloads of bullshit. Even worse, I was so disapointed I ended up constantly skipping class (no difference, really), barely turning in my assignments and generally losing interest for visual arts. Ultimately, my teachers' greatest achievement as far as I'm concerned were steering me(us) clear of bad taste and kitsch generally eversince junior high. One of the constructive things about art school was inspiration from viewing coleagues work, methods etc. NOT teachers, and I'm real sorry to say [art education-wise in this country at least] that you can easily make up for artschool by constant research, practice and, generally, passion. I know I'm not the first to say this, but stalking CA for two years now has come up with more benefits for me professionally speaking than those 4 years I've wasted in the university. So god bless this site and forums
    Eventually, it all comes down to practicing, and constantly filtering inspiration you get from seeing what others are creating. You have the internet. I wouldn't trade it for another 16 years of artschool

PS: get a wacom

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorknes
    Else you're gonna look back and think "man, what a waste of time"....
    That's a fairly good description of where I was when I found CA. I think I mentioned that I went 10 years without doing anything seriously. I'm still kicking myself for the lost time, and have to work twice as hard to catch up.

I've *finally* reached a point where I feel that I've surpassed what I had ten years ago, but it's seriously daily battle sometimes.

If you do have the opportunity to go to an art school, GO. Don't be a martyr - there's no sense in that.

~Oreg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... i've always worn this idea that i was "born an artist" and that my skill or talent was something that flowed from someplace inside my skull and there was no need to really study.

Not only wrong, but wrong with a capital DUMBASS. i was a fool to think that in the first place.

And finally, after 35 years, i've learned that no matter what, it takes study and practice to improve those skills of mine.

i've always shied away from going to school for one reason or another. But i've finally signed up for some figure drawing classes at the musuem here. Nothing heavy, just courses put on by the musuem... call it "life enrichment". A few years ago, i would have scorned the idea of school, because "real artists don't need it."

... baaahhhgggh!

i can sit and doodle all i want, read books, study art work online or where ever, buit i think that some kind of schooling is important and part of the process of becoming a better artist.

(If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

SSG#14: We'll think of a better name someday!
    staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.