Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey Sep!

I like the scythe handed anthropoid fig. It reminded me of a friend who had an assignment in wich she had to draw the outline for an animal and draw a human skeletal structure inside the outline. You're allowed to squash/stretch bones to make them fit inside the animal. On some of the skeletons from the knee to the ankle does seem short. Keep practicin'!

seansea

old sketchbook... new sketchbook...under construction
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm definitely liking your life studies, and they're by far the stronger pieces in your sketchbook so far, I think. Very nice shading on those.

Good to see you doing some proportion and anatomy studies, too, though you seem to have a tendency to make the legs a tad short. Something I tend to do when I can't remember the "proper" proportions is to check against my own body. :p

Thanks
    LoTeKK - Thanks for the comments about my life studies, and about my shading. Anything in particular you`d like to see me draw and post? I collected some empty bottles of liquor from work, and plan to arrange a still life with them. I really want to develope a keen sense of light placement so my concepts can end up looking as good as my life stuff (not saying my life drawings are great, but if they are the strongest point in my book why not aspire for the rest of my stuff to be as good?). Thanks for dropping by my book, always nice to get new commenters.

Seansea - Yeah, I liked my scythe handed pal too. At least untill i noticed the close resemblence between him and the trijan monkeys from FarCry. Damn, and I thought I had a cool idea going there. I did, however, draw the skeletal structure first and add the meat over the bones, rather than the other way around like your friends assignment.

TheGreyPencil - I`m glad my efforts are showing in my hand drawings. As for the hand drawings, as I once said to Seansea "ask and you shall recieve".

More coming.

Epiphany - Updated August 23rd 2012

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    actually, em scythed handed figure reminds me of the monsters in final fantasy:thespirits within...i know they look radically different, but my mind is big on free association so

hehe. well post us some pictures of them bottles when you get round o still lifin em!

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci
    ---------------------------------------------
    INTERNATIONAL SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP

ERILAZ! OTHERSIDE! CRAZY3DMAN! THEGREYPENCIL!

I SPY WITH MY EYES...GROUP

SEPULVERTURE! BHANU! BENDRAGON! JOHN T!

Thanks
    Hey there, sorry for the lack of posting lately, no excuses offered, although the memo on one of the drawings may give you a hint as to why I`m a bit late.

Got a couple of updates, im holding off on the skeletal dumps for now. My current goal with them is to wait untill I have at least 50 new ones drawn before I post those (it may take a while). In the meantime I`ve got some more hand drawings, I`m trying to get more into eyes and trying to find my copy of drawing the head and hands by Andrew Loomis.

page 2

Thanks
    It is taking much longer than expected to finish my 50 skeletal frames, so i decided to make a dump to show you that I have in fact been trying to keep my promise. So, here is my progress. 30 skeletal frames.

This last one is a horrible attempt at foreshortening to make it look like he is running headlong into the viewer. All the circles and lines are me practicing to gain better control over my lines, I`m tired of the scratchy look of my pictures due to my overuse of short quick strokes, rather than long flowing lines. you may see a lot more of these, as it is my intent to be able to draw long lines as accurately as i see them in my mind.

As always, please critique my efforts, and I have noted that the legs on my skeletals are a tad short and am really trying to address that issue.

page 2

Thanks
    sucks in air...here goes...

keep at it dude...

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    hey there! again...

we request some self portraits, so hug a mirror

ZCAI

Thanks
    Now this is what im looking for! Greatly appreciated. I will definately try to work on the definition of my hand drawings, try to give it more (depth?) The rest of my 50 skeletal frame will be a mix of lined paper and plain white paper. As for the self portrait? Absolutely chum, ask and you shall recieve. Although I won't be able to post again for about a week, as I am leaving for Tokyo tomorrow for a short vacation. Hey, maybe I will see Tensai Tokyo while I'm there, eh?

As always, thanks a lot for the comments! As for the last skeletal frame (the one with the guns) the reason that particular one has fucked up proportions is I was trying my hand at a little foreshortening, but the loomis arcs totally slipped my mine. Other than the hand studies, and self portrait, and skeletal frames, i guess i know where my next ventures will be in studying. gonna try to bust out a some action pictures using loomis arcs.

page 2

Thanks
    Hey not bad man. My only suggestion for now(which i'm quite sure others have said) is to use a wider range of values in your shading, but honestly i think you should practice one thing or another. Basically it's hard to practice shading (which takes a strong understanding of light) and practice nailing the contour of whatever you're drawing at the same time. I personally think it's more important to start practicing contours first than shading. Take for example those hands you drew. Hands usually tend to have a few more bumps (from bones) and folds of the skin in them; so no amount of shading is going to make them look that much more realistic. So my suggestion. Nail those forms first. Worry about the shading later. Things might not look as pretty, but it will pay off in the end. Just keep at it man!

Thanks
    Sith - Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for stopping by. You are absolutely right about the hands needing more definition as far as bumps from bones, irregularites, etc. the next time i pose a hand drawing i will try to do one with just lines to show contour, and one with shading in my usual style, and i will try to incorporate a wider range of values.

Everyone - Is there one thing here, above all else that everyone might agree I should work on for the time? My plate is starting to fill up a bit . Here is my assignment list so far:

Anatomy (Skeletal Frames for propotion)
    Hand drawings with focus on contour rather than shading
    excersizes in increasing value range for shading
    self portrait
    general life drawing (lets not mention this one for now, since it is a given that i should do this)
    eye studies
    face studies
    anatomy (muscle structure)

page 2

Thanks
    Last update for about 7 days. A self portrait from photoref, with my cat (she looks like a fucked up monkey-dog or something in that picture.. but i guess that is why we practice, right? to get better). And a torso study.

Oh, and by the way. This is the 50th post on my sketchbook. Beers are on me!

page 2

Thanks
    Well, I just got home from Tokyo tonight, and I have the last of my promised dump of 50 frames (and tried to pay more attention in making them look good, an tried to stay aware of the things TheGreyPencil pointed out in his critique of my last dump. So, here goes.

20 more frames for critique:

And since I was away in tokyo for so long, and unable to do much studying while away, I decided to bring everyone some present back:

A couple of super rushed life drawings!

These were done on the subway. I have one more done in pencil that looks better overall, but didn't hae time to scan it today. I apologize for how shitty these are, as it was my first time on the tokyo subway, I didn't wan to keep my attention off the monitors/announcements for too long for fear of missing my stops.

page 2

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6