Sketchbook: Epiphany - Updated August 23rd 2012 - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    hey sensei!

oooh nice ballerina, I think your sense of proportions getting on. the hands need work. I second what the guys said. Im darned inspired by your progress now

by the way..stay away from the game.....its....evil...

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci
    ---------------------------------------------
    INTERNATIONAL SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP

ERILAZ! OTHERSIDE! CRAZY3DMAN! THEGREYPENCIL!

I SPY WITH MY EYES...GROUP

SEPULVERTURE! BHANU! BENDRAGON! JOHN T!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    TheGreyPencil - Thanks man, i'm glad I can inspire you. Hearing you say that inspires me to work more towards my goal. And by the way, how is it.... evil? If by evil you mean that on my athlon 64 + 1.5 gb ram it still runs crappy thanks to my lousy radeon 9600 then i agree, and if you mean it's incredibly addicting i agree. But ya can't aspire to be a conceptual artist for that type of game if you don't play the games, right?

Crazy3dMan - Thanks for the good luck. Hopefully i can survive swarms of children for 9+ hours each day speaking this funny language that people seem to speak a lot around here.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    yea well theres playign the game to see the in game cinematics as well as check out the unit and enviro and architecture designs, and theres just that, playing the game.

Im not sure how much you'd gain aesthetically from beating the crap outta the final bossman but well do ask yourself from time to time whether you're taking in anything more artistically. If it inspires ya its okay but I doubt inspiration lasts past a 4-5 hour gaming marathon haw so...approach with caution dude.

ZCAI

"The greatest tragedy is when theory far exceeds performance." Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    The hands are looking good! Sorry for the confusion regarding my comment, i was talking about the fist picture that you copied. I see that you've drawn much better lines on the third fist. Well done, and keep going!

Thanks
    Amer-nazri - Thanks for the hand compliment, i took what i learned from that drawing and tried to apply it to todays post. I have to say, after reading a thread in the lounge by some white power dumbass, every time i see your name if i am just glancing through recent posts, or updated threads i always think it says "american nazi", then i go back and actually read it.

Thegreypencil - you're right about playing to learn something, but every now and then ya gotta just get lost in the game. Actually, one thing about playing this game now and it taking a bit of time away from my drawing is i am still scared to death of just getting burned out again, so every now and then i just gorge myself on videogames, movies, whatever so here isn't a repeat of what happened in highschool (if you remember what i said in that post). I have done that two or three times since i started this sketchbook (so far i've gone back through half life, half life: blue shift, and half life: opposing force, and made some maps with the source SDK to try to keep myself from getting burned out).

Anyway, here is a skull study. I know that proportionally it is a bit "wonky", and upon realizing that, rather than goingback and making all sorts of redraws, i decided to make it an excersize to try and utilize whati learned from thathand study, and mix it with a skull study. I'm pretty pleased with the resullts, although there is a lot that i realized i don't quite understand yet, which has prompted me to do some more studies in different areas that i hadn't previously considered.

page 2

Thanks
    hey yea I hear ya

sweet skull study. PR0Ps!

ZCAI

Thanks
    Thank you for stopping by to critique my sketches I was going to return the favor but, your progress and the advice you've gotten here already...this is great stuff man. I feel you on the burnout. Here's the thing though, I've been working increasingly harder and harder since the recent end of my military enlistment toward improving my skills and getting accepted into an art school. I love drawing and always have and I don't want it to ever feel as much like work as fixing airplanes did. Someone on a thread here said that when you start getting frustrated that is when you should push harder. I dunno, I just try to lose myself in a project, whichever one I feel I can. So, I usually try to have several going on at once. The best thing I can do sometimes is step back and look at what I am doing and where it needs adjusting. I spend just as much time looking as drawing. Although, I am not all that fond of doing them gesture sketches really do help me loosen up and make me forget any frustrations and stresses that I have put on myself...Anyway thanks for sharing your progress and pursuant to some of the comments in my thread, including yours, I am working from the Loomis books as well.

David Golas
    My sketchbook
    and the work of a fellow pilgrim...
    Biggjoee5790's sketchbook

Academy Students Blog

DPC Blog

Thanks
    Hey Anuran, thanks for stopping by first off, and no problem with critiquing some of the stuff in your book. It isn't really that im frusterated about drawing, or my progress or lack thereof, i totally agree about pushing yourself harder when there is something frusterating you during your training. Some of the things that frusterate me the most are hands, feet, and faces (i really have been meaning to bust out some awesome hand and face and foot studies, i have the photo refs, i have my mirror in place, the only thing i don't have is the courage to sit down and conquer it yet. I plan to start those studies after i finish the training period for my new job, and i am out of the transitional period between my new and old job, i'm working both right now). I also hear ya about just loosing yourself in a project, i have got a few going myself, but the problem with that is that when i get a project going, and start another one at the same time i have a hard time going back to the previous one, which is a terrible habit i'm trying to break. Anyway, i'll quit boring you now and just say thanks for stopping by.

Updates coming soon, guys. Don't want you to think i'm slacking off or anything.

Also, Amer-nazri - I think in my last post the comment about your name may have sounded like an insult, so i'm writing this to say that it wasn't an insult, if you got that impression. If so, my apologees (sp?)

page 2

Thanks
    Hey there, i reworked that skull a bit, although after looking at it for a while i noticed some glaring issues with symmetry, aside from some of the proportional things i noted in another post. I don't know if i changed enough to make it worth posting, but here it is anyway. In addition to that, i read my response last night to Anuran a few times, and felt like i was being too lax lately, so i busted out a face study sketch. Took 3 hours 36 minutes to get to the point i am at now, mostly because i erased a few times and started over with a few different sizes, and positions, finally settling on this one. Hope it dosen't suck up the thread too badly, i know there are problems with it still. Anyway, here it is.

page 2

Thanks
    yes sep, observation of your own work and distancing yourself from its merits enough to see its errors is invaluable indeed its a joy!

by the way, that face? im not sure who you're studying but it reminds me dead on lempicka, if ye dont know who she is, go google her. lots of graphic style there! i cant crit the anatomy since its lookign so stylistic but i must say it all flows together great

nice one!

ZCAI

Thanks
    Wow, all the way back on the third page. sorry i haven't been coming much lately, and don't have any work to offer you. It's been really busy lately. as an example, i walked out the door to go to my day job about about 8 this morning, and just walked in the door from my night job (it's 2:51 A.M. now). have had 0 time to myself lately, i should be going to bed right now, but i decided it was equally important to give my sketchbook some love because you all are putting so much effort into helping me improve. I get to leave a bit later in the morning tomorrow, so there is a chance i can draw something, but i don't know about time to post it. Anyway.

Thegreypencil - Really that is just a picture of a random girl on the internet. I typed "sad face" into google, and after wading through some really bad "gothic" clip art i finally came across this, and a few others, so just saved them as ref pics. One thing i am noticing now after spending some time away from it is that the lips are too low, and (her) left eye on the bottom when it is starting to slope towards the tear duct is too curved, and on the same eye the pupil/iris are a bit too big, and the iris on the right eye is a bit too oval shaped. Thanks for the compliment about it flowing well, that is nice to hear.

page 2

Thanks
    Well hang in there dude. ITs tough working but artist's gotta eat eh. Im chomping down biscuits now after the most expensive life drawing sessione ver. actually it only cost me 2 GBP but I missed the bus and ended up having ot take a cab that drove the outing's expenses to ahem...16GBP!!! WTF??? that could have paid for like a million life drawing sessiosn..oh wait not to mention a million packs of biscuits *growl*

ahem..point here is that..money..is important he he Ill forgive the haitus as long as you post regularly enough!

about the drawing of the girl? well happy accidents eh important thing here though is not that it flowed well enough together but you noted those errors in placement and proportion

ZCAI

Thanks
    Yeah, i hear you about traveling costing an arm and a leg. It would be costing me about 28,000 yen per month to travel back and forth to/from work if it wasn't for these awesome unlimited use month bus passes you can buy at certain shops, and that would still be costing me somewhere around 14,000 yen per month if it weren't for my company reimbursing me for 15,000 yen worth of travel expenses each month. This day/night shit will be ending soon though, on the 19th i will move out of the training phase and i will actually have my schools assigned to me, and once that begins my night job will be reduced from 6 days a week to 2 days per week, which is killer because i will have evenings to myself again. On a good note though, my day job got out early today, so my friend (the guy from manchester i asked you if you knew) and i had a drink together, during which time i sketched up a loomis frame and hand study before trudging off back into the trenches. I have been finding myself being able to catch more and more of my mistakes nowadays, especially on some of my older drawings, so i am feeling like i am starting to see the fruits of my labors. Thanks a lot guys.

OH... P.S.. What is a GBP?

page 2

Thanks
    GBP are the currency in england...Great British Pounds. I still have a bunch around here somewhere along with some Euros. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your Loomis sudies and I would like to see the changes on the drawing of the girl as well.

David Golas
    My sketchbook
    and the work of a fellow pilgrim...
    Biggjoee5790's sketchbook

Academy Students Blog

DPC Blog

Thanks
    Great to heaer that yuou are starting to see your own mistakes! I think that is a point that all raet artists have to aspire to reach. The point where you can draw something and then look at it and see any mistakes you made instead of assuming you drew it correctly.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Hey guys, really sorry that i haven't been posting/returning PM's, i just really havent had the time. Tomorrow will be my first breather in a while, day job is off cuz it's saturday, but gotta go to work at 7 pm, so i have some time to post. My studies are pathetic at best, so far i've only had time to draw one loomis frame and a really poorly drawn hand study holding my cellphone. I'm gonna see if i can't get some more done before i post though. Anyway, i just wanted to put something up to say i haven't forgotten about anything, just trying to find a few minutes to be able to scan and post (what little i do have to scan and post).

page 2

Thanks
    Here it is. I hope the sheer size of this post dosen`t overwhelm anybody.

Yeah. I know. It`s hard to even call this a post, especially after the amount of time it has taken to actually post an image.

page 2

Thanks
    figure's right upper arm: a little short.
    figure's feet: need work.

all in all A for effort against overwhelming schedule keep at it now. ten more days till the 19th eh? hope to see those big posts you last did

ps: you can evaluate that hand drawing sicne you're in the best position to do so it looks weird but its better to draw than not. so draw and draw!

ZCAI

Thanks
    That pathetic post you just critiqued was the post i talked about. It was meant to be bigger than that. But, well, we all know how it is to have no time. I ride the train for damn near four hours every day to/from work, so i planned to get some badass life drawing done there, but so far the trains are so packed because of the morning and evening rush that i`m lucky to get a seat, so instead i`ve just been reading greek mythology books (nothing like getting back to your roots, eh?) and some ancient summarian stories, which have provided me with a wealth of creative ideas for pictures/stories, and renewed interest in epic stories. I started a perspective practice picture tonight just using some blocks that turned is turning into a new "actual" picture, so i will try to post what i have done by tomorrow. Anyway, here is my contribution, i did it last night when i came home from work. It looks weird to me, and i`m sure it will to everyone else too, but gotta keep the flame from going out.

P.S., Thegreypencil - You`re right about it looking weird, my best guess is that the second knuckle (for my middle finger) is just fucked up, and i didn`t know how to fix it, that is what stands out most to me. Thanks for stopping by, i had somehow gotten the idea that the SSG was pissed about my not posting lately.

page 2

Thanks
    yow id liek to think the SSG is alot more patient and forgiving than that!

well glad to see you're still posting stuff. You can still draw loomis skele frames on the bus ya know keep the creativity flowin eh!

hang in there fer now!

p.s: its tough and really tedious, but keep correcting the form and detail on your hand studies eh!

ZCAI

Thanks
    TGP - Thanks for stopping by once again, i'm finally adjusting to this new schedule, and the rocks in the road are getting smaller and smaller, so sooner or later i will be putting out on a more regular basis, thanks for hanging in there with me.

I hate to call this my post, it's really quite embarrasing to take so long between posts and only be able to put up such minor updates. but here it is.

There is a lot wrong with this, obviously, so tear it to pieces, i'm sure everyone will notice things that i didn't. I hadn't realized how out of touch with the pencil i had become till i sat down and tried to do this, but i have realized with everyones help that if i am to improve my figures that i need to loosen up quite a bit, and what better way to learn how to do that then to study from the masters of grace and movement themselves. If i weren't so physically lazy, the i might have aspired to be a ballerina.

This next turd is the perspective practice picture i mentioned before. When i started it, it began to go a good direction, so i wanted to work it into a decent picture, but as i got into it i realized it was quickly becoming one of those "ok you fucked up, now start over and figure out how you fucked up" ones. I will give you a shiny new dime if you can figure out what it's supposed to be. I heeded TGP's advice about laying clean guidelines when i started this, but all the lines started to build up and were just confusing me, so i erased a lot of them.

page 2

Thanks
    About that study of the master...it looks very stiff! I think you're right about that one leg being too short and the other one should be adjusted so that it is underneath the head. With most poses...if you draw a line striaght down,...there will almost always be one foot underneath the head to create balance.

The picture looks flat as well which is due to you not using line variety.

ex. Changing the thicknes of the lines in the contour will give your figure more depth by making things appear to recede and come forward.

re: 2nd img...the perspective looks solid in the lower half of the page but it looks like you stopped making things go to the horizon line in the top half so it flattens out.

Thanks
    ahhh good for the moment Sepulverture. About guidelines, you is right. if they serve nopurpose other than to confuse..bin em!

Ill crit the figure later but right now its 3.37 am and your perspective piece looks a okay to me but its invoking lots of ideas for fantastic headgear in my noggin wooo...thanks

ZCAI

Thanks
    You're right, otherside. I hadn't noticed that the foot was making her look off balance. In my defense though, i realized i wasn't using any line variation about halfway through that dancer picture, and tried beefing up the lines on her left toe (to give the illusion of weight, as someone previously mentioned) and on the darker side of her to give the impression of shadow (i went back and lighened up some of the lines a little to try to give the impression that light was falling on that side.. apparently i failed though, i'll try harder next time). As for the picture of the [insert name of object here]. Ironically, the bottom half is where i stopped using guidelines so much, and started freehanding it, and that is where i felt like i fucked up. Thanks for stopping by again, nice to see a friendly face come back to spit on my art (or lack thereof, as the case may be) .

TGP - Glad to be able to fill your noggin' with some ideas, now that you said that i just brainstormed up some headgear ideas as well from that piece. Looking forward to your crit on the figure.

Updates to come. Thanks again OS and TGP.

page 2

Thanks
    hey there sepulverture

heres another thought.,...on lunchtime during work here so crits are aspilling at random. the dancer....if you go back to the ref pic her left leg should have some sort of slant inwards or her shoulders should lean to the right to compensate for the weight of her right leg moved away from the centre. ill line it later but mull over it.
    i might be wrong cuz she might have some crazy muscle powah! but go take alook at the pic again.

ZCAI

Thanks
    Been a few days... you still sketching Sepulverture? Want to see more!

Erilaz

Books of love:
    RebeccaK bumskee dirty_c Iconophobian Steph Laberis

Thanks
    TGP - No, you're right, i should have moved that leg over so it was lined up under her head, but i just didn't realize i left it so far off center. In the ref pic, her leg is actually slanted inward a bit, and i tried to show that, but didn't do a good enough job apparently. I'll try another one today hopefully since i have time.

Erilaz - Nice to see ya there pal. You bet your ass i'm still sketching (when i can that is). You want more, you got more . I'm kinda happy with how the gentleman turned out, rough as it is. Too bad i can't say the same for my skeletal fellows. They're licking some pretty hairy nuts, gotta get back on them quick, eh?

More to come - I promise

page 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
nice loomis stuff, keep it up!
you improve faster than you think!

Thanks
    Just curious...since you gave the ribs such a big shape..why not the pelvis? It is the second largest mass of the body. I think that's just my school talking though, whatever works for you!

The guy does look good! I have one crit for it though.....looking at the how the feet are placed on the ground, it seems like you should show more of the top of the shoulders.

Thanks
    Hey man, Sorry I've been gone so long. Good to see you're still working at it. Keep working on those forms. I'll be checking in more often.

Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

• Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2