Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast
    Thanks
    hey nick!
    throw us a friggin bone! maybe some life sketches or something. an environment? anything! show us how to fly on the wings of a verture.

but seriously.
    Last edited by guggemmaneuver; August 24th, 2012 at 01:27 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to guggemmaneuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah no kidding. I thought I'd be seeing more stuff from you after your latest finished projects! Post ya prick.

I am finally.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Costau D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Ale thanks for the compliment Here are some more sketches with efforts put into understanding drapery, including taking my own reference photos with similar things.
    Last edited by Sepulverture; June 30th, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Shit I didn't even know I had a page 19....

Thanks you guys for posting,

Ian - Thanks for the suggestion regarding the text. I really should have taken that typography class in my awesome half a year at community college ... Something else to put on my plate at least i guess. I'm not gonna worry about changing it for those pieces, but for future pieces that need text I will keep it in mind for sure.

Gugg - There's a bone for ya Sorry for the .. er.. hiatus lately, I've been on the fence on how often I want to post on here, but I'm working on a new project now, so I should be posting more often, especially getting more responses than I had expected to be getting . Thanks for dropping byyyy

Costau - Well, after the Dominance War stuff I decided to take a little break, so been a bit lazy, however the past week is where most of these drawings come from and you will be seeing more and more as I get busier and busier on a new project. Ya prick
    page 2

Thanks
    Hey man I'm liking some of your designs. This one turned out great Link

I do believe you have always needed to loosen up, and make sure the foundation for your figure is fine before you started in on your rendering. Your static poses are fine, but work on practicing those gestures and don't jump the gun on your more dynamic ones(some of your more dynamic poses make the character look like they have broken limbs). This one link came out good actually, just some foreshortening issues. You have some good ideas, they would just benefit from better care in the presentation.

All I suggest is more gesture studies, and quick sketches from life or reference. It will help teach you to be more economical with your lines, and get the most out them.

-Cole
    Last edited by Costau; July 8th, 2009 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks
    hello Cole miner, thanks for the suggestions about doing the gestures. I've been collecting reference photos and things to do just that.

Here is the first practice page of a comic book that I plan to illustrate. This is my first attempt as it were to do this kind of thing, it's quite daunting but I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I will I ran into some consistency issues with this page, and having a hard time telling the story visually. To help reduce the whole fear thing and how daunting it is I've limited myself to doing single pages with a maximum number of 10 panels and in those ten panels I need to be able to describe both visually and through dialogue a whole mini story.

With this first page here there isn't a whole lot of story elements being represented, although I have most of the story arc planned already. This is really just a practice page to try to get down how I want to try to illustrate this thing, there are a lot of comic book cliches and whatnots that I want to try to avoid, but we'll see.

This page, if I in fact use it for the actual comic would come as about the 6th or 7th page in the chronological sequence of events, if that makes sense. I didn't finish inking the whole thing, and i probably won't because as I already stated this was only supposed to be a rough draft that I took too far
    page 2

Thanks
    Hey man that last drawing is simply superb! I am loving the looser line and the overall character of the figure. It seems like there are a few problems with it though, like the torso might be a little long, or overcompensated because of the garment. Don't loose the structure under massive amounts of fabric! But keep it going, your comic is looking pretty awesome so far

Thanks
    I really like your drapery studies...

Thanks
    Great! I see a nice evolution in your work!

Thanks
    here is a diagram to accompany the PM I sent you.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Thanks for the diagram OBX, it's helpful to have a visual aide when digesting new information.
    page 2

Thanks
    Hi Sepulverture!
    Now, its my turn to drop by your SB!
    I like your storytelling on the panels above..though doing some studies would push your drawings to the next level man.
    How are things over there in Beijing? Heard there was a bad ass sandstorm there..hope your doing well there in the north man!
    I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Hmm... I was sure I had commented on your SB before, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

EDIT: After writing my comment, I realized you haven't updated since 2009!
    What the hell, dude?

You've got quite a lot of nifty character designs going on. To improve on them, I would suggest doing supplementary studies to fully flesh out each and every part of the design.
    Your designs have the overall shape but they lack the little things that make a design seem real and plausible.
    Now, I'm not talking about adding nonsensical details, which is why I say do studies and research the real life counterpart of what you're trying to design - they'll give you plenty of ideas on functional details.

I like the medic and marine piece from the previous page. You've captured the emotion and interaction nicely. However, I think the glowing white hand coupled with smoke could be misinterpreted as burning the marine.
    If it were me, I would try tinting the effect with green or blue - colours that people have come to associate with 'healing effects'. Or I would get rid of the smoke/exchange it with some other sort of effect.

Overall, it seems to me that you're focusing too much on rendering/shading your drawings, to the point where it looks like you sometimes spend a minimum of time on a sketch then jump to the rendering.
    I would recommend taking it slow on the drawing stage, put enough effort into the drawing so that it can look good without any rendering. And remember to use geometric construction and drawing through the form.

Hope that helps.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    HK -- Thanks for replying to my comment in your SB. You are right in your "what the hell?!". Frankly I just lost a lot of drive, although the desire is still there. I have focused so much on other things (like my leather-working) that I haven't done much drawing.

You are right about my habit of rendering on minimal constructions. That was a habit I developed early on, and never worked to overcome.

I have done a bit of sketching trying to get back in the swing of things, and when I work on that I will keep your criticisms in mind.

thanks for commenting!
    page 2

Thanks
    Haven't posted for a long long time obviously.

I Occasionally realize that if I had spent all that time actually working harder and posting and getting feedback and whatnot that I would be worlds better than my current level.

I have actually done a lot of work in other fields such as my leather work. I was making and selling bags and shoes and accessories during the last two years, but looking back through my sketchbooks in my house and looking around online the fondness for the visual arts was brought back to the foreground.

To try to get back into the habit, I whipped up an environment study of a sunset.

I used a really crude cloud brush, but I haven't used photoshop in such a long time that I don't remember a lot of the skills like brush making.

Also it was essentially a color study to help get back into the swing of things. But please any feedback is welcome to help give me direction for future studies.
    page 2

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast