Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Wasp Earth in 500,000 years?

Ok, looking for a little juicy creative input for some ideas I'm working on. what do you guys think earth could be like in 500,000 years? assuming it's not just some huge high tech mega city ala star wars.
    Could there be geographical changes? altered continents? wierd new lifeforms?
    Might humans change, evolving to adapt to different environments/lifestyles?

I've been working for some time now on a feudal/ancient/different world (blah blah blah) and I thought rather have it on some planet magically identical to earth but for its continents, why couldn't this be earth in the relatively far future?

Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    we should have terraformed and be residing on Mars by then

Thanks
    well , as you can tell we now have cd rom instead of books or tablets to store our information. we also know that in 1000 years or so the odds are not great that everyone has a year 2000 pc or find a undamaged or unskratched cd or dvd to pass the information along. that means at the moment we have no intention of passing our history along. and that i guess means that the humans has no future.

if there was a future i think the humans whould have found more ways to escape the boring reallity. maybe alot of them live lifes plugged into a mainframe of some sort , living virtual reallity lifes in made up paradise or whatnot. and most work is done by robots.

a more optimistic side of the future is. maybe they stop killing good ppl and start to think and stuff. maybe become nicer to their females and maybe evolve in the brain and body instead of their tools . get rid of their gods and anything else that they think is above them. like aliens perhaps.
    and then start to take good care of the planet, becouse they realize that they cant leave for several reasons. not until they repair what they damaged.

they start to evolve as humans and not as machines with tools.

their cities is now all based on a healthy mix or nature and hightech.
    all their leaders is gone and they have noone to blame but themselfs if the shit hits the fan.but also none to praise but themselfs if it works out ok.

but this is a utopia posetive idea. and we all know that thats just impossible,..
    thats why we call it utopia and not home.

no seriously i think the humans will destoy themselfs . and the squirells will inherit the earth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kian3001
    we should have terraformed and be residing on Mars by then
    we cant terraform becose then we mess up the balance of elements that surrounds us. so i heard.
    earth is acctually water. and mars is iron. sun is fire and moon is earth.
    and so on. this is a mad theory from some smart chineese guy. he said that we cant change the climate on another planet becouse then the universe would either collaps and reinvent itself or another planet of that element will be born.

Thanks
    we'll all be dead and so will much of the life on the planet along with us

Thanks
    Within 500,000 years there will definitely have been at least one, if not multiple Major Catastrophic Events. Things like a major meteor strike or a supervolcano eruption will almost surely have occured in that time frame. These type of events generally cause a lot of geographical and climate changes, which spur evolution (and a lot of exinction). Luckily we're on the verge of having the ability to protect ourselves from that sort of thing, mostly by spreading to other planets. Not keeping all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Unfortunately, not a lot of planets are very hospitable to us. Terraforming them is one possibility, but with the advances in biology that are sure to come I think at some point mankind will find that rather than adapting the universe to suit us, it'll be far easier to adapt ourselves to suit the universe. Meaning we'll modify our bodies to be capable of living in space, without air. These people probably won't resemble humans as we know them much, and it's likely they won't be able to return to an atmospheric planet like Earth without drowning in the oxygen, much like we can't return to the water where our ancestors lived. But that doesn't mean that all humans will become these space-people. Planet-people could go off on an entirely different path.

Of course, this is just one of an infinite number of scenarios that could theoretically occur. If the Catastrophic Event occurs before we've advanced enough to prepare against it, we could be forced to return to primitive tribal society (which would probably take us at least a few hundred years to get back on track from), or simply be wiped off the planet.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin
    Within 500,000 years there will definitely have been at least one, if not multiple Major Catastrophic Events. Things like a major meteor strike or a supervolcano eruption will almost surely have occured in that time frame. These type of events generally cause a lot of geographical and climate changes, which spur evolution (and a lot of exinction). Luckily we're on the verge of having the ability to protect ourselves from that sort of thing, mostly by spreading to other planets. Not keeping all our eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Unfortunately, not a lot of planets are very hospitable to us. Terraforming them is one possibility, but with the advances in biology that are sure to come I think at some point mankind will find that rather than adapting the universe to suit us, it'll be far easier to adapt ourselves to suit the universe. Meaning we'll modify our bodies to be capable of living in space, without air. These people probably won't resemble humans as we know them much, and it's likely they won't be able to return to an atmospheric planet like Earth without drowning in the oxygen, much like we can't return to the water where our ancestors lived. But that doesn't mean that all humans will become these space-people. Planet-people could go off on an entirely different path.

Of course, this is just one of an infinite number of scenarios that could theoretically occur. If the Catastrophic Event occurs before we've advanced enough to prepare against it, we could be forced to return to primitive tribal society (which would probably take us at least a few hundred years to get back on track from), or simply be wiped off the planet.

0kelvin

This sounds like the most plausible possibility for me. That and the high-tech virtual realities a lot of the humans will probably live in. Especially having in mind there will have to be a way to travel many lightyears to colonise planets.
    But somehow I doubt humans will be able to control anything more than a couple of planets - we'll never be able to control whole solar systems and stars for the matter. But maybe we can find aliens who can do that for us?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin

0kelvin

this sounds alot like greys. the often used design for aliens. the primate form and the big black eyes and grey skins is adepted for a life with no sun whatsoever. and they have bigger brains and less bodys. meaning that they probably lives in space or something. who knows maybe the grey if they exist is evolved humans in one way.
    hehe i feel like a nerd.

Thanks
    My guess is that after waking up some morning and realizing that his toaster is smarter than he is, some scientist will work on digitally recreating the human mind, and succeed. Humans will take the leap from flesh to circuitry, and with it our intelligence and capabilities will skyrocket. Those who have religious or other compunctions about it will be left behind as the rest of "humanity" goes and does it's thing.

We'll explore space, harsh planets, and live anywhere we want with our hardened bodies. Our pastimes will include hacking competitions, and getting high off of algorithms.

In 500,000 years, there won't be any homo sapiens, just robots. Unless the robots decide to preserve the old humans for posterity.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    My guess is that after waking up some morning and realizing that his toaster is smarter than he is, some scientist will work on digitally recreating the human mind, and succeed. Humans will take the leap from flesh to circuitry, and with it our intelligence and capabilities will skyrocket. Those who have religious or other compunctions about it will be left behind as the rest of "humanity" goes and does it's thing.

We'll explore space, harsh planets, and live anywhere we want with our hardened bodies. Our pastimes will include hacking competitions, and getting high off of algorithms.

In 500,000 years, there won't be any homo sapiens, just robots. Unless the robots decide to preserve the old humans for posterity.
    thats pretty surreal, that you measure intelligence with a human that wants to be as smart as a machine created by humans.

Thanks
    It will be fun what happens to evolution in this time. Until now, the human species adapted to its environment. This is changing at the moment. The environment changes or gets changed to match our needs.
    Anyone understood what I wanted to say?
    ▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    I read a string-theory book last summer called Parrellell Worlds by Michio Kaku and towards the end he discusses what's most likely in store for us in the future. Basically the future will be determined by how much energy we use. The idea was first brought about in the early 80's by some Russian scientist and energy use, in any society is catogorizes into Type I Civilization, Type 2, and Type 3 etc.. Right now we're just moving into Type 2. (wait...i believe it's #2, it could be #1) Anyways.. in type 1, energy use is very small and limited. A type 1 civ. uses fire and other fossil fuels to power their society. Type 2 uses atomic and solar and other technologies that haven't even been invented yet to power their civilization. A type 2 society is planet based..which is something that is occuring now...we ARE becoming a one world culture. In this phase, nations as we know it dissappear...they become more like states. In type 3, we use higher technologies such a fusion, the sun. etc. etc. At this stage we probably have just begun to move to the stars, or at least are using ours more effeciently, but aren't really traveling the vast distances...that would require another stage. Anyways..each stage lasts thousands of years (or more). In the book, Kaku describes that we will probably still be earth based for a very long time...until the earth is almost completey covered in cities and we use every bit of energy that this planent can give us.

Unfortunately for us to become like star trek for example we would have to at least be in a late Type 3 civilization. And for us to be like, say, Star Wars, we would have to be in a Type 4 or 5, where we actually use the entire galaxy (like black holes..or whatever) for power.

It's a really good book and anyone really interested in where we're headed should pick it up. I've probably messed up the above information, it's kind of early and my memory isn't awake yet.

okay..my sales pitch is over.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks

Thanks
    I suppose everyone is using Apple-Computers then ...

Anyway here´s an interesting link:
    http://www.thefutureiswild.com

Fipse
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    The traditionalists will ruin it all.

Thanks
    there was this show on the Discovery channel on the same topic but, this show took you all the way back to the dinosaur era and different segments of the show were focused on different times frames in life. They wen as far in the future as like 20 million years i believe... They had these computer generated animations where they took scientists ideas of what future animals or creatures would roam the earth. The farthest in the future it went, they had his animal that was a squid like creature but acted like a monkey.. swung around trees and stuff... and had these giant larger then elephant thype creatures that roam the earth as well.. there explaination was that these water creatures would inhabit the land to fill the void of other animals that are not exsiting... cant remember the name of the show exactly... but, it was damb cool... I wish i would have recorded it.. it was kinda long too..
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    500,000 years from now, everyone will be fluent in 133t speak. n00bs will be pwn3d by the billions.

Thanks
    I don't think we'll make it past the Y10K debacle (and if we do, the Y100K will finish us off).

Thanks
    EXIT MUNDI

a collection of END of the WORLD senarios. Well written, fun and intelligent!

Thanks
    if you are seriously looking for scientific data, I can pass the question off to my wife. She teaches Geology and has her Masters in environmental science, and although she's not doing research into Earth's Doomed Future, she has told me some interesting things that will affect humans alot sooner than 500,000 years (more like 500!)

Let me know....she also knows plenty of other professors that do a lot of environmental research, so perhaps you can get some first hand info (can't promise though).
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    You guys should so totally listen to the longnow seminars (courtesy of Prom cuz that's how I found out about it). There's alot on this topic. It's a bit closer to home because their speculations encompass only 10,000 years. Some seminars are better than others but all in all it's all quite enlightening. One of the guys that talked (I don't remember his name or the seminar - I think it may be the one on "Long Policy Analysis" or "The Art of the Really Long View") there worked on the Minority Report movie and he mentioned that they kept some of the more crazy stuff out of it because it would have been just too weird and distracting from the story (if you remember there were some genetically engineered plants that moved around - well think even weirder and with humans).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Now

http://www.longnow.org/shop/free-downloads/seminars/
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    oops, just realized, I was talking bull, so I deleted it. sorry

Denart's Link is extremely interesting
    Last edited by blacky; February 3rd, 2006 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks
    Wow, interesting replies. thinking about turning into fleshless robots is kind of depressing... I was thinking along the lines of changes in the natural world or how humanity might continue/evolve if our current course of rapid advancement crashed. maybe human history would even go ALL the way back to square one somehow, and then reshape itself.

loomer- opinions/information from actual scientists would be even better than that of scifi nerds like us. for example, in the time frame of 100,000-500.000 years, what ecological/geographic changes could siesmic and volcanic activity in the "Ring of Fire" cause?
    thanks for your input everybody, and keep speculating.
    Dan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I thought type 1 was planet power (we're not quite there yet, type 0.7?), type 2 was solar system power (Dyson Sphere), and type 3 was galaxy power.

Anyways, I don't think continents will move much, but the polar ice can raise/lower the sea level a substantial amount, revealing or hiding huge land areas, and this in just some 10k-70k years cycle.

Edit: oh, yes, robotic bodies would be very interesting, and much more durable in the short term, and long term too if they can repair. They certainly wouldn't 'drown in oxygen'.

Go check out 'Technological Singularity' on wikipedia. It's about AI advances helping to trancend humans into a direction/form we can't really predict. Basically the end result would be some sort of super intelligent entity that either absorb or ignore (and possibly step on) us. Such an entity could become a type 2 then 3 very rapidly.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; February 3rd, 2006 at 08:24 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Did anyone see the program on the Discovery Channel a while back (Back when they were a channel about science and history instead of motorcycles and home makeovers or whatever shit they're putting on these days) about theories of future evolution?

They got together a bunch of leading scientists on the evolution of species and asked them to project what sort of weird future animals might evolve in a few hundred thousand years. Humans were out of the picture for some reason (I guess we either left or went extinct), and the final few minutes of the program was about this race of intelligent octopus creatures that lived in trees in a tropical rainforest. They were supposed to be similar to the precursors of human beings in Africa, except, you know, SQUID.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    This is one of those questions that I definitely think seriously about before answering, but...

Some suggestions...

Compare the relatively recent past (100,000,000 years or so) in 500,000 year sections and get a handle on how much change can actually take place with an active interlocking ecosystem.

Forget about interpolating anything that's above the level of basic instinct as far as the human race is concerned. What you think you know now means shit in terms of 10,000 years. The only things that matter over that length of time are power, religion, survival and sex. If you need proof that the human entity can interpolate the benefits of science to an nth degree, just take a quick look at the Islamic/fundamentalist christian mess we're dealing with now to pop your brain cells back to reality. It's more likely we'll be sacrificing virgins than walking around with metal bodies 10,000 years from now. Stupidity is the human race's most persistent trait, and the need to create God's truth is its most obvious sign of that trait.

Thanks
    Since us Americans are all getting fatter, I think we'll evolve thicker bones and we'll have taller structures to disperse the weight more evenly

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    This is one of those questions that I definitely think seriously about before answering, but...

Some suggestions...

Compare the relatively recent past (100,000,000 years or so) in 500,000 year sections and get a handle on how much change can actually take place with an active interlocking ecosystem.

Forget about interpolating anything that's above the level of basic instinct as far as the human race is concerned. What you think you know now means shit in terms of 10,000 years. The only things that matter over that length of time are power, religion, survival and sex. If you need proof that the human entity can interpolate the benefits of science to an nth degree, just take a quick look at the Islamic/fundamentalist christian mess we're dealing with now to pop your brain cells back to reality. It's more likely we'll be sacrificing virgins than walking around with metal bodies 10,000 years from now. Stupidity is the human race's most persistent trait, and the need to create God's truth is its most obvious sign of that trait.

Very true, but if we do make the transition to circuitry, then that problem could disappear, unless we code our biological emotional responses into ourselves. Once that happens, religion and morality as we know them may die to a large degree, but maybe we'll go somewhere as a race. At least, theoretically.

But yes, barring that, your scenario sounds about... wrong.

We won't live that long. I don't trust us to survive whatever shit we set ourselves up for. Maybe we'll manage with global warming and climate change, and all those little things, but sometime, somewhere, someone will decide that nukes need to start flying, and then it's cockroach paradise.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Cockroaches...

YUM!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast