Sketchbook: Journey of another absolute rookie

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Journey of another absolute rookie

Hello everyone. After seeing mindcandyman's thread, I thought why not give it a shot? I used to draw since I was a kid, but I stopped a few years ago because I was simply not learning anything, I didn't even know about learning how to draw (anatomy, perspective, etc). Last year I attempted to draw again but felt that the task was impossible. I'm now a 3D modeler (still a student, finishing in 3 months), but I believe a good 3D artist with no 2D skills is no artist, and I think it is viewed as such in the industry. So I must get to work, continue to improve my 3D while learning 2D. But as far as 2D is concerned, I am starting anew. I'll get a scanner soon and a bigger tablet (the one I have is a 5x4 Graphire 2).

I hope you guys will be there to give your advices. If you have any tasks in mind to suggest me for practice please do so. If there is something wrong with the way I paint (and there is!) let me know.

Here is the terrible beginning!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good for a terrible beginning. I religously suggest getting a copy of The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brian. I've found this book more educational and insightful that any other how to draw book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment. I remember some stuff from that book. It's cheap so I will probably get.

Anyway here is today's post, I just started 40 mins ago or so. I'll probably update it later tonight. I'm using a photo as reference, but no sketch was made, I'm just painting along to get a better feel of the thing. Next time I'll block in all proportions first before starting to paint.

One thing I am worried about, just like when I learn to draw from life, is that I will only be good at drawing or painting with references. Anyway, more updates to come, keep the crits and comments coming!

Last edited by Phil_Osirus; February 2nd, 2006 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Phil_Osirus! Glad to see your taking the first step. As far as PS painting ( I'm assuming this is in PS) goes, your off to a pretty good start, although her left ( your right) eye looks slightly smaller than the other. You seem to know how to blend pretty good. It also helps if you keep the whole painting around the same stage instead of putting detail in area by area. I also highly suggest the Digital painting in PS thread. The Peer Project also has some great stuff on value/lighting etc. Don't worry about getting stuck on referance, but try to only use it as a referance, and don't make your painting just a copy of it. Hope to see some of your traditional media drawings soon!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits and the links! Very interesting stuff.

I fixed the eyes proportion a bit. Here is the update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phil, I'm also an aspiring 3d artist, (modeler/texture artist), I'm a student and I completely agree with your statement. 3D is related to 2D in a whole lot of ways. And I feel a person with strong 2d and 3d skills will be much more sort after in the industy. As a student as of now my goal is not progress both my 2d and 3d skills so when it comes time for me to find a job, I'll be ready.

As of this current piece you posted, its looking really good thus far, just watch the relationship to the head and shoulders, but so far its looking really good man, keep posting.

Members who have read this thread: 5