Thanks

One for the Creature Concept Artists

I was watching Animal Planet real late at night again, you know nothing better on; sometimes you catch some really interesting looks at animals.

The show I caught last night was about Giraffes; check out the skeletal structure of their legs.

One for the Creature Concept Artists

If you start from their shoulders you'll see a bone like our own femur, then down past that joint are bones kind of like our tibia and fibia only a little more fused it seems. After that is another joint! Well, it's not that much unlike our own ankle joint but this is where it gets wierd. I guess the metatarsals have become extremely elongated much like it's neck, it's probably about like walking on our tip-toes.

Something else that was cool is their "Femur" and "Tibia/Fibia" aren't much bigger than the average mans. Their necks are obviously much longer buy they still have 7 vertabrae like us.

I don't know, I think it's really cool to see an animal designed around the enviroment especially as drastically as the Giraffe. Just something you might incorporate into your creature designs, all to often it seems most creatures have sort of catlike/doglike limbs etc.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice picture. I think most people take for granted how amazing it is that we share so many anitomical similarities with so many of the living creatures in this world. Looking at a skeleton the way an artist does kinda makes you go "Wow!"

Thanks
    A lot of four legged animals actually walk on their tip toes. It always pisses me off when werewolf movies show a transformation and have the humans knees crack and reverse themselves, when in acutality, the upper and lower leg would merely shrink while the foot would elongate placing the ankle at the "backwards knee" portion.

But damn, those are some cool/bizarre looking lower legs! I love how you can still see the incredibly pronounced ankle bone there. WTF is that for? With all the crazy evolutionary changes going on there, I'm wondering what purpose that serves now... And is that humerus actually resting on some sort of chest bone, or is that just a product of how they're displaying the skeleton?
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    I just learned this last night, actually... that type of leg configuration is called unguligrade. Humans are plantigrade, meaning we walk on our whole foot. Animals like dogs and cats are digitigrade, where their food is really comprised of the equivalent of our toes. Hoofed animals are unguligrade, which is like the equivalent of standing on their tip toes. They're neat!

Forest, I think the ankle bone is the attachment site for their achilles tendon. At least one major calf muscle, if not exactly an achilles tendon.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed....jpg/view.html Link for animal posture fun.

Seems like the picture you linked it missing parts of the feet. I think this is a more complete one.
    Last edited by Tully; February 1st, 2006 at 11:19 PM.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino
    A lot of four legged animals actually walk on their tip toes. It always pisses me off when werewolf movies show a transformation and have the humans knees crack and reverse themselves, when in acutality, the upper and lower leg would merely shrink while the foot would elongate placing the ankle at the "backwards knee" portion.
    I also pisses me off when you get creature designs that this kind of diformities.

On thing that a lot of artists miss when designing animals or even creatures is that you NEED to study comparative anatomy. If a joint/muscle/bone is there, it's for a reason. Nature is a great source of inspiration for it's engeneering wonders.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    On thing that a lot of artists miss when designing animals or even creatures is that you NEED to study comparative anatomy. If a joint/muscle/bone is there, it's for a reason. Nature is a great source of inspiration for it's engeneering wonders.
    Totally agree. But sometimes conventions stick so hard its difficult to break the mold. For example flying birds have a wishing bone, or fused collarbone, because of the flexibility they need for flight. Also a huge breastbone to anchor all those muscles needed for flapping their wings. But then stick 2 wings on a horse (without any anatomically correct modifications) and call it a pegasus. I don't even want to start with cherubs or angels. Anatomically they'll look right, but I don't think many audiences will understand it.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    Forest, I think the ankle bone is the attachment site for their achilles tendon. At least one major calf muscle, if not exactly an achilles tendon.
    Ooh, hadn't thought of that. Makes perfect sense now. The area below that still needs to articulated, and in this case needs an even stronger anchor point to keep it in that orientation, hence an even more exagerrated bone. Neat!

Seems like the picture you linked it missing parts of the feet. I think this is a more complete one.
    Awww...that doesn't look nearly as cool as walking on big ole' stumps!
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    I saw that show on giraffes, too.
    A giraffe giving birth.. is easily the most fucking disgusting thing I have ever seen.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    . Their necks are obviously much longer buy they still have 7 vertabrae like us.
    I remember being so fascinated by this when I was a kid...still am. Truly remarkable creatures.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Hahaha, interceptor; come on man!? Thats the most disgusting? What about say a hippo giving birth?

Some great thoughts and information in here guys, thanks!