Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts

"willing to pay"

why do people use this phrase? You're either going to pay or you're not going to pay. A person isn't going to take the job and say "I know you'd pay if you had to, but I don't want to put you out". I see people use this phrase at the tail end of an often detailed and time consuming job proposal and my reaction is generally "well, thankyou very much sir, and will you let me shine your shoes while I'm at it?" This isn't directed at anybody in particular. I just think a person seeking a skilled laborer of any kind should avoid using this phrase, and I was wondering if it bothers anybody else, because I see it used fairly often.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Like most of our english language, people choose to fuck it up. Stupid little things like "willing to pay" always pop up and piss me off for some reason too.
    And when people say this it almost makes you think that they are calling you a lazy bastard who doesnt give a shit.

Thanks
    Same reason people say 'raised to the ground', I guess. Its just a phrase
    We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner
    Same reason people say 'raised to the ground', I guess. Its just a phrase
    I think you're thinking of the word "razed", in this case razed to the ground means destroying a building...

/english police

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    "razed"
    whoa, that was a vocab word from my 11th grade english class. kinda freaky that I remember that.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    And "at this time". It's assumed... hell-oo!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKECORRIERO
    " If you do this for free now.. more work MAY come later"
    Usually responded with an equally wierd (in English terms) "Fuck OFF"

But to be fair to people who use it, I think they mean they're willing to shell out however much money needed for it. Although most times some sorry fucks really mean just that. They're willing to pay for it, but usually not more than $25.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    what I absolutely love are the design "contests" where the winner would recieve a whopping $100!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo
    what I absolutely love are the design "contests" where the winner would recieve a whopping $100!
    Plus the company running the contest will own all rights to all entries sent in.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cotron
    I think you're thinking of the word "razed", in this case razed to the ground means destroying a building...

/english police
    oops. Me have bad english.

heh. You know later last night after I posted, that shot into my mind. 'razed' and 'raised'. I guess I assumed they were interchangeable. hehe, looks like you learn something new everyday .
    We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo
    hah. or those contests where the winner desing gets to be in the game etc...
    currently playing: Kuhlau, Bach, Beethoven
    Le Order Nouveau!

Thanks
    THat's always a fun one.

Thanks
    similarly i often hear, "If you do me a painting, i'll even pay you for it!" or "... I'll even hang it on my wall!"

gee thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin
    similarly i often hear, "If you do me a painting, i'll even pay you for it!" or "... I'll even hang it on my wall!"

gee thanks
    if i hear something like that, i often compare a left brainer with my computor or a calculator.
    why bother with them when we have those things to aid us.

art is often frowned upon, and for no appearent reason. just imagine what boring place the earth would be without art in any form.

many take art for granted i guess. and talanted artists make it look so easy. but in reality they cant do it and its very hard.

just think of how much the design does for any company,game .car and etc etc.

without design then the product would be obsolete and just a nice thought in someones brain.

suggestion. if someone say that. just punch them in the face. and then look at them for a while until they get it.

Thanks
    There are a lot of people who actually get really pissed off and offended if you tell them you're willing to pay, so I'm going to stop offering money altogether. It got me in a lot of trouble at the bar last week.

Thanks
    i think its very helpful that people use these phrases. These are codewords for "don't waste your time". much better than you doing the work and then people going "oh by the way, now that you put in all that effort, time for me to totally screw you"

Thanks
    I've always thought "willing to pay" was a passive way of the employer not wanting to give an artist the idea that they have a large budget. Sure its a bad way of putting it, but I never really thought about it until now. Granted, they should assume that if they don't have a large budget to begin with theyre probably not going to get the quality artwork they want either.
    My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)

Thanks
    Seriously, the worst one I ever saw was on Los Angeles Craigslist:

-------------------------------------
    "I need an oil painter who can paint in high realism... cars, boats, figures. The paintings must be unsigned, as I will sign my name on them. I can find people in India and China who will do this for $2 dollars, but would rather find someone local."

Compensation: 20% of the profits"
    ----------------------------------------------

I sent an e-mail to the asshole prentending to be interested just so I can get his address and phone # so I can post it all over craigslist!!

Thanks
    I really think that someone selling portrait drawings in the center of a square makes more money than some of the artists that have their work commisioned by some asshole that says "... I'll even pay you for it". or something of that line. Then again I think it is up to the artist to consult with the buyer on how much must be payed for the final product and that they should have it in writing.

And as "People's Court" has taught some of us that the world is all about that signature at the bottom of the agreement... Then, if you want to be VERY sure that he/she is then you might just want to have them place a blood stamp on the document so that the DNA can be examined later to prove that the person is who they say they are.

However the price should be more or less determined by the artist but allow the buyer to haggle a bit.

(Then again you could just say fuck off and fuck yourself with a cactus but then again you're not me...)

Thanks
    I would assume that someone making the statment "Willing to pay" thinks that a heck of a lot of artists work for only the recognition. They would be right in a lot of their thinking. I think that in some way they belive they are doing the artist a favor by giving you something instead of nothing.

I belive the "Willing to pay" is only part of the whole statement "I'm willing to pay you but it won't be much"

I don't know maybe I should turn it around and feel that they are asking a favor from the artist. Something like " I would like some artwork from you that is really good, beautiful and fantastic, only it still won't be for much $$.

Thanks
    I get the same shit for GD jobs. Almost worse in fact, as "its all done by computer anyways" They see it as an ordinary job, like ordering a fucking hamburger at Mcdonalds, they get it straight away. No clue to the actual creative process. More often I get, when they clue in to the fact that that theyll have to pay, "could you just throw an eye on this shit I did at home last nite instead of paying you for doing it, and tell me what you think"
    Or they start by saying " why dont you think about it, start gettin some ideas" before anything has been signed. Yea right. I say tht I dont do anything before something is signed. After all, I wanna get paid for my thinkin process. Morons.
    I also get the whole "youll be seen" BS. I tell them that I wont do it, even though Im just starting out.

Just thought of a good retaliation to make them understand that its work, if they ask for stuff and pay isnt mentioned. Tell them:

"Sure thing, If you clean my appartement, wash my car, do my dishes every night for a week and mend these pants."

Alternativley, if its the old "I have no money" ask them I they intend on giving their product/book/whatever away for free to THEIR customer. Usually the answer is no.

The reaction is usually pretty good, and you get your point across without actually feeling like an arse for expecting pay from the tight bastards. Especially the first one.
    Last edited by timpaatkins; February 3rd, 2006 at 09:04 AM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Now there's a phrase I've heard all too often, and guess what....the firm's addwhere I'm working at also had this catchy little expression. I guess SOME PEOPLE just don't notice that it might be offensive to others--I know I'm offended by it, and others should be too--, otherwise my boss is from the same old mold, so nothing new there. I wish they'd post at least their ads in a civilized matter, 'cause I'm fuckin' tired of these illiterate stereotypes.
    They should get an extra employees just to make these ads(stupid idea, in case you didn't notice)

In all I agree, it fuckin' agravates the hell out of me when I'm goin through the ads and see another rookie firm (cause someone with experience would at least try to avoid this expression) with this little'ol sentence.

I think the expression was conceived as "willing to pay CASH..." and "cash" somehow got lost along the way, dunno....

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60883
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60824

Thanks
    I hate the word kiosk.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *