Lack of Confidence, or Lack of Talent?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lack of Confidence, or Lack of Talent?

Seeing as how I'm a college freshman with a sizable loan to pay back, I've decided to do something in the way of making money while I'm at school-- mainly, I want to sell commissions.

My problem, however, is one that I've run in to over and over again throughout the years: I just don't think I'm good enough. It's a line of thinking that's kept me from countless opportunities in my high school years, and one that I definitely want to cure myself of now that I'm going to be spending four years trying to market myself. I'm pleased to admit that the short quarter and a half I've been here has given me a great confidence boost, but I'm still worried about my work in a practical sense- would anyone actually WANT to buy something from me? So I put it to jury with you CA.org folks, who are more knowledgeable than me in such matters.

I don't have my most recent work to show, but the following two pictures represent my level about eight months ago...I'll have newer images sometime this week, since I need to start compiling a digital portfolio for scholarships.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19818285/
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/18069885/ (Forgive the HORRIFIC pink background on this...it makes me twitch every time I see it. I didn't get photoshop until a few weeks ago, so I'm definitely going to go back and fix that picture when time allows.)

Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated. For the record, my abilities are NOT limited to fanart, those two just happen to be my best and most recent digital works. Anyway, I know the answers are probably going to be harsh, but I don't mind; I need a good kick in the pants anyway. Thank you in advance!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If somebody wants to pay for your work, then you're good enough. Try to sell some.. see what happens. If nobody bites, maybe you should reconsider your approach. It could be you're not advertising enough. Maybe you need to offer more marketable subject matter. Portraits perhaps. People like portraits.

A quick look at your portfolio suggests to me that you have issues with proportion and anatomy, as well as colour. These are things you should definitely work at. Post work in the critiques section if you'd like everybody to give you more indepth info on exactly what you need improving on. I can see some people being willing to pay for original work by you though. So give it a shot. What's there to lose?

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've run into the same problem. Haven't worked passed it yet but I'm trying to. Only with me people want me to paint murals and I'm worried it's going to come out bad and then they'll have it in their house. Not the sort of thing that is ez to cover up yanno?

Last edited by Xpose; February 1st, 2006 at 02:13 AM.
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    A quick look at your portfolio suggests to me that you have issues with proportion and anatomy, as well as colour.
    I'd add perspective, as well.

It's not such an issue with talent, as work can boil away those differences. Work will also help your confidence (under normal circumstances).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can be the shittiest artist in the world, but if someone will buy your art, then you're good enough.

Go on a case by case basis, and work for whoever wants your art.

That being said, you do have room for improvement.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    That being said, you do have room for improvement.
    I think every one of us could find room for improvement in our work.

As far as commissions, make sure you show potential clients your work so they know what they're getting. If they hire you for a commission, it means they like your work and in that instance you're good enough.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I suppose there isn't any harm in trying, and I'll definitely keep working on everything that's wrong. Thank you for all the advice!

Members who have read this thread: 1