Tablet size?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tablet size?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Tablet size?

hi im new here.. and i want to buy a wacom tablet but i dont know wich size is better? ... someone can help me with that?

thanks

guillermo garcia
    dejavu studio
    graphic design / animation / character designer / illustrator
    emai. dejavu.creativo@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    ... damn tablet envy!!

(sorry i, couldn't resist)

(If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

SSG#14: We'll think of a better name someday!
    staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

Thanks
    if you live in the UK go to your closest GAME store i got one in there really good only £9.99 USB ready,

Thanks
    Size isn't that important with tablets. Many professionals use the 6x8 size or even larger, but these aren't really necessary. I use an Intuos3 4x5 for painting, and it works just fine. I would have bought a 6x8 for good measure, but a few more square inches raise the price of the tablet too much. I haven't regretted the decision to go cheap.

What's more important is the quality of the tablet. You want the highest resolution and number of sensitivity levels you can afford. Graphires and tablets manufactured by companies besides Wacom tend to have lower quality than the Intuos line, and that can really hinder you. Get an Intuos if you can. (Or if you've got an extra $2500, buy a Cintiq monitor. ) Buy the largest size you can afford, but know that size doesn't really affect the quality of your work.

Also remember that the Intuos3 has Express Keys and one or two Touch Strips, depending on the size. The 4x5 has four keys and one strip; the larger sizes have eight keys and two strips. The latter should do fine for most purposes, but I suppose it could be nice to have the other set of keys.

Thanks
    It just depends on whether you can make small strokes or you prefer to paint with your arm more. www.newegg.com has amazing US prices for Wacom tablets. Considering the Intuos 6x8 is over twice the area of the 4x5, it is a steal since it is only a 45% more than the 4x5, whereas the Graphire 6x8 is OVER 2 times the price of the Graphire 6x8. It depends on your budget, dedication to digital media, and stroke length. I prefer the larger sizes since I came from traditional media like most, but like to sketch with loosely with my arm hence the desire for a larger sized one.

Crit my latest: Medieval Warrior

Thanks
    An important consideration if you are planning on buying a 4x5 intuos 3 is 'are you left handed?' - if you are the keypad (which is as far as I know on the left hand side on all) will be difficult to use.

I have a 6x8 intuos 3 and it's everything I could have wished for so that's my advice. I had to disable finger activation of the left touch strip though as it will sense the slightest touch from rubbing your hand against the strip.

Thanks
    people usually like the bigger tablets.

Last edited by dfyb; February 5th, 2006 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    ^ Well, people who buy smaller tablets usually like them, too.

The best way to decide is to try out all the sizes you can. Then you'll be able to truly decide what your personal preference is.

Thanks
    ... i never used a tablet before and this one that i just bought is a 6x8 and it feels right to me. Of course i have no frame of reference with the tablet thing, but i've always tended to work small, without a lot of arm movement.

i think that LucidSaint hits pretty close to the mark. It seems to depend on how you work/paint/draw. If you use large strokes, with plenty of arm, then the larger tablet would feel at home. But if not, then i'm sure a 6x8 or smaller would be the way to go, considering the price difference. Why pay more money for real estate you may not even use?

(If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

Thanks
    I would suggest staying away from anything other then a Waccom. From experience they do not function as good as the Waccoms.

Size: The 11X14 is just to much tablet in my opponion. You can't put it on your lap to draw because its to big and the cord is not long enough. The 6X8 is perfect. Its large enough to do big strokes, and small enough to still fit on your desktop.

Pens: The feel of the waccom pen is 100x better then others. Some of the off brand tablets have batteries that you put inside the pen which gives the pen alot of weight....

Thanks
    ... i've got a non-Wacom and true to the word out there, the pen feels incredibly cheap and the buttons are just broke-ass.

Although it works fine now while i learn and get used to a tablet, i know that i will eventually be looking to replace it with a wacom once it goes belly-up.

Thanks
    My advice is to get an Intuos 3, size doesn't matter unless you're already used to a big tablet. Get what you can afford. Don't get a graphire. Go with a refurbished one straight off the Wacom website, if you can, they're cheap and good.

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    I got a tablet from Trust with an working area of around a A5 paper. It's okay, but not particularly good. I've had some problems with the pen, though, and generally it requires the pen to be incredibly close.

It cost me around $90 and for that price, it ain't bad, considering the working area.

Not that good yet.

Members who have read this thread: 1