The King's Mercy
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The King's Mercy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The King's Mercy

Well I finished this pic a week ago, took it to an art show and it sold and I'm happy, but I tried a few new techniques and experiments with color theory on this one ( a subject in which Im very shakey) and I would like to know what's working and what's not working, and how I could have improved this so I can learn for next time I tackle something like this. FYI its losely based on several lion vs. mouse Aesop's Fables, not really any particular scene but that's the look I was going for at any rate, that is, sentient but not full blown anthropomorphic. Thanks in advance =)

My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a really beautifull image. The fur is just magnificent. His snout is a bit off though. But it took some time fo rme to see it. Other than that, it's very very good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you added some more shadow where his eyebrow would be (if lions had eyebrows) that might make him look more angry. Also a more red wet look to the inside of the mouth would make being eaten seem more threatening. Personally I think the real problem is the mouse's pose, it just doeasn't say 'terrified' or 'pleasepleaseplease!'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that this is a beautiful piece. You seem to have affectively dealt with the colors, as was your goal. The green background compliment the reds in the main well, as does the yellow/oranges and the blue violets in the mussel. The snout is slightly askew, which you can see more when you mirror it. I don't person think you need the lion to look more angry. He doesn't need to be angry to eat the mouse, he just needs to be bigger and stronger. I do agree that the mouse looks some what concerned, but maybe having his eyes be a bit wider would help convey the fear better. In my opinion, you should have posted this one in the finally finished section. It is much better than some of the things I have been seeing over there.

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know? I actually thought that too and had a real problem conveying that without totally messing up the mouse's anatomy (I don't typically draw mice), would you mind doing some sort of redline as a suggestion?

I suppose I'll post it in the finally finished section, to be honest I was kind of worried about getting throttled for not being a "professional", but honestly I'm not sure what constitutes professional these days anyways. *goes and does so*

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions so far!

My Sketchbook

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What medium is this Necron, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops! Sorry I failed to mention, its watercolor, colored pencil and a little bit of acrylic ink, but mostly colored pencil.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a great piece, I like the concept. The color combination works well. I agree with them of making the mouth a bit red wet to make it more threatening or dramatic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's very nice and the texture is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a nice image. Nice handling of the colored pencil too. The main thing that bothers me is the composition though. I think the piece would become stronger if the mouse would read as a silhouette. ( I don't mean as a black silhouette ) Now, the lion's fur behind it is preventing so. A lower view would do the trick, making the mouse stand out more from the background. ( Maybe a complete side view as well, but I'm not sure of that )

Still, nice media handling man.

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.