Thanks

Artist statement

This is my first artist statement im making it for my web site which my sis is designing. feed back would be much appreciated.

Robert brown
    Artist statement

Summarizing ones self is such a challenge. I say self because I made the choice 4 years ago to devote my every bean to the act and product of creation. My name is Robert brown and I am as of now a 22 year Artist in my 4rth year of college at the Cleveland Institute of Art. Since the tender age of five I have always been in the constant mode of illustrating what my imagination propels me into drawing, sculpting, animating etc. As child a I was always wanting to create my own world that was as visually impacting and compelling as were those created by my hero’s growing up (my mom, John carpenter, George Lucas, Jim Henson, Giger, Todd McFarlane and many others). As a child I was constantly in “ make believe” I found my self at home with nature , you would find me in my back yard observing various insect like spiders, praying mantis, and small reptiles. I was always interested in there ingenious adaptation and perfect bio-logistic functionality, but of course as a kid I didn’t know that this was why I was drawn to nature, I was thinking “ wow pretty”. As time progressed I began to find more hero’s and more inspiration all the while refining my skills as a draftsmen. It was around age 13 that I saw a channel in which I knew I could poor out the contents of my imagination, the game industry. Having been at this point an advent game player the thought had never crossed my mind (Games being art). I joined the Cleveland institute of art in 2002, and that first year was defiantly a doozey. I had always been around artist all my life as with my family being made up of artist( my mom, sisters and little brother are artist as well),but to be around so many individuals who all have there own passions and artistic choices in aesthetics has defiantly given me a new experience in diversity.

Having been in art school for 4 years especially one so traditional has given me a growth spurt in not just the craft of my work and my skill as a draftsmen, but both intellectually and conceptually I have grown into a new person. The ability to deconstruct the content of all things we take interest in is an invaluable understanding. An Artist must be honest with his or herself in order to understand not simply there work, but the source behind there intuitive choices. Art for me is now turning into play again I feel my self coming back to the source, the reason I made the choice to devote myself to creativity (its fun)! The majority of my work is a mixed media of 2d and 3d renderings, my work is very figurative and often I create characters and later the worlds they encompass (or visa versa) often I will simply create arbitrary renderings which our investments of process and later studies for other concepts .I am a very ambitious and fast leaning person which is why allot of my knowledge is self taught. I believe that as an artist we have the power to influence and shape the world we live in to a tremendous extent, and in order to that we must first explore ourselves through play and creativity so that we can better understand the meaning of our manifestations.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Personally, I don't see the need for an artist's statement if your work speaks for itself. However if you feel strongly about including your philosophy, edit it down to no more than a short paragraph. Most visitors to your site (especially art directors) are unlikely to read something that long.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    k thanks
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    yeah i agree but its required for what im applying too.

any way hows this i shortened it

My name is Robert brown and I am as of now a 22 year Artist in my 4rth year of college at the Cleveland Institute of Art. I have always been in the constant mode of illustrating what my imagination propels me into drawing, sculpting, animating etc. As child a I was always wanting to create my own world that was as visually impacting and compelling as were those created by my hero’s growing up. I joined the Cleveland institute of art in 2002, and that first year was defiantly a doozey. I had always been around artist all my life as with my family being made up of artist( my mom, sisters and little brother are artist as well),but to be around so many individuals who all have there own passions and artistic choices in aesthetics has defiantly given me a new experience in diversity.

Having been in art school for 4 years especially one so traditional has given me a growth spurt in not just the craft of my work and my skill as a draftsmen, but both intellectually and conceptually I have grown into a new person. The ability to deconstruct the content of all things we take interest in is an invaluable understanding. An Artist must be honest with his or herself in order to understand not simply there work, but the source behind there intuitive choices. Art for me is now turning into play again I feel my self coming back to the source, the reason I made the choice to devote myself to creativity (its fun)! The majority of my work is a mixed media of 2d and 3d renderings of characters and worlds that breathe with life. Often I will simply create an arbitrary rendering which functions as a investments of process and later a study for other concepts .I am a very ambitious and fast leaning person which is why allot of my knowledge is self taught. I believe that as an artist we have the power to influence and shape the world we live in to a tremendous extent, and in order to that we must first explore ourselves through play and creativity so that we can better understand the meaning of our manifestations.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by noshadowmaster
    I am Robert Brown, a 22-year-old artist in my 4th year of study at Cleveland Institute of Art. Since childhood I have been constantly engaged in every aspect of the arts, from drawing and sculpting to animating. Coming from an artistic family, I joined the Cleveland Institute of Art in 2002, and being around so many fresh individuals who all have their own passions and aesthetic tastes has definitely given me a great experience in diversity.

Having been in such a traditionally-grounded art school for 4 years, I have not only seen an increase in the craft of my work, but I have also grown intellectually and conceptually as a person. Art is turning from work into play again, and this is the reason I devote myself to creativity - it's fun!

I am a very ambitious and fast learning person, which is why much of my knowledge is self-taught. I believe that as artists, we have the power to influence and shape the world in which we live to a tremendous extent, and in order to achieve that, we must first explore ourselves through creativity and learning.
    There was still quite a bit of waffle there. I cut out all the stuff I thought was unnecessary, fixed spelling and grammar, and generally tidied it up.
    If you absolutely have to have an "artist statement", then make it clear and concise. If it's short and to the point, the people who read it will get a good impression of yourself, rather than if it's long and rambling, they'll lose interest or at worst think you're pretentious (drop the "meaning of our manifestations" thing). Don't put bad points in about yourself. Be entirely positive and truthful.

Also, spell-check like crazy. You can't afford not to, really, it's such a turn-off when people don't even know a "there" from a "their"... if I was an art company, I wouldn't be looking to employ a "fast leaner", know what I mean?

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    thanks bro
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Its a well written piece of mini biography. But I'm gonna have to say something that hurts.

If its not really necessary, can the text. Like Figure2 says, your artwork should be the main focus of your site. Next to your artwork is your industry related CV. I don't know exactly what you're applying to, but if its a job, then the biography isn't really necessary. If its a doctorate or research position or some scholarship thingy then its a different story although most cases the portfolio of work is still the most important.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Hey there Noshadowmaster, I have to agree, about the canning of the artistic statement. It makes you seem pompous, arrogant and pretentious. Let them make that discovery for themselves! Hehe, I kid I kid!
    But seriously, I dont see any need for an artistic statement, especially when you are solo. Maybe if you had a company or a few equal partners, but maybe not even then. You dont want potential clients thinking "who the hell does this guy think he is!?" or something similar. Dont give them any excuse to not hire you!

Cheers Tim
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog