Sketchbook: Zhengpeng's Sketchbook - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    A few sketches to get a general idea of how the body flows. I didn't have much time today, I was asked to do a battle background for a hobbyist rpg game. But I have zero experience on that so did some research and some concepts sketching. Not realy fancy one -_-.

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Zhengpeng-Wim-Boogieman-Oki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX
    i just finished doing about torso studies, and im too embaressed to even post them in my sb lol.
    You should post them, sometimes you learn more from your shitty stuff then from the stuff ur diggin. I was also to embaressed to post the figure drawings that I just did, but I posted them anyway.

Ps: can someone give me the signiture code to display all the new ssg members?

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 10th, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i posted the signature code in the SSG thread a few days ago.

Figure study looks good. Try building it up with a spine and lines for the shoulder and hip first so you can understand the pose better. Or use the mentler approach OBX posted in his SB, a very good approach.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    same as OBX

Also could you make your scans darker as there pretty hard to see on my laptop screen >< but keep the updates coming

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only £1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice curves

"Tears will drown in the wake of delight"

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did one from mind today and tried to use what I learned from my hand studies so far. I can't get used to digital sketching though.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    My left hand is getting tired, having to pose for me all the time ^^ I think its time to buy a webcam.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 11th, 2006 at 08:20 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice girls. try not to draw the abs on girls unless they're well built. On most girls the stomach area is relatively smooth. Watch the arm length too. Breasts should be farther apart. Try to think 3d when you draw, the left hand looks like its folded too much. The wrist can only bend as far as to make a right triangle with the forearm, it can bend further up than down but still close to 90&#176;.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Master 25 Days
    Try to think 3d when you draw, the left hand looks like its folded too much. The wrist can only bend as far as to make a right triangle with the forearm, it can bend further up than down but still close to 90&#176;.
    The left arm is coming a bit from the foreground... so thats not just the angle of the wrist. And the right arm is also bend, but its hard to illustrate that in lineart. Same thing for the bended leg, thats why the knee is a bit higher than you would expect. Maybe I overdid the foreshortening(definitely the case with the knee i think), but its better than not paying attention to it at all right?

More speedportraits.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 12th, 2006 at 03:00 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you want to get the hang of foreshortening, draw the limbs in simple shapes (cylinders) and draw through it so the foreshortening is unmistakably clear.
    nice speed portraits. Pitch your darks more.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portraits are just getting better and better. I suggest you try and do some from life.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reference photo was soo beautiful, I tried my best to keep the feel of it. Not just the head. I'm starting to like the B6 pencil ^^

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 13th, 2006 at 07:23 AM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman
    Portraits are just getting better and better. I suggest you try and do some from life.
    Actually I already did, I portraited my cousins some time ago. But there aren't so many people I can portrait. Most people start acting strange once you attempt to draw them... My mom for instance would ask me: "don't you have something to do for school? If not the bathroom hasn't been cleaned yet this week*hint*"

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good. I can't see the photo ref so I'll just crit base on your pic.
    Eye need a fold on the bottom. Normally I wouldn't mention it but you're going for realism here and thats a crucial part when rendering eyes. You want it to look like a sphere with skins wrapped around it. Also clean up your shadings a bit too. Smudges around the jaw area looks kind of confusing. i added some dark values under the jaw and a bit on the upper lip to show the form better.

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried some stuff to get rid of those smudges but I only made it worse...But I fixed the lower lip, that was imo very bad.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Here is a wip. Its supposed to become a battlebackground for a oldschool rpg game. I had to reserve a large area for the characters to stand and use only the upper part of it to create any 3d effects.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 13th, 2006 at 12:59 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hungry?
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    It was wrapped in something, so I couldn't see the entire apple. Its a bit flat cuz I tried to imitate the photo this time. But doesn't it seem tasty when you view it from afar?

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 13th, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks better. gj fixing the lower lip.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gawd u guys are monsters. im not around for 3 days, and bang like 4 ppl made it to thier second page. good jobs everyone, i better start drawing. good stuff zheng. ur right i should post my studies, but i kinda think they'd get borring after awhile, ive posted quite a few already. keep pounding em out.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is nothing.. just playing with colors like a little kid! I didn't have the chance then, so I have to do it now.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Just wanted to do something relaxed after reading a lot of dry colortheorie and history.

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 14th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm you're mixing the colors right? what kind of pencils are you using. Try blending the middle more so we can see a clear middle color. Not sure how color pencils really work but I know there's a limit of pigments that the paper can hold some sometimes your colors won't blend the way you want. it's also hard to add or subtract hues. Get ahold of some paints if you can or do it digitally. Real paint is the way to go if you ask me.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used soft pastels here, and the point wasn't to mix the colors. It was rather to put 2 colors next to eachother and feel what kind of effect it gives. Here is another work in pastels.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

You can see that the brown I used was made from a dark orange, which means its a complementary to the green of the gras. So the color doesn't harmonize to well, and is giving a unwanted effect, but I didn't have any other brown.

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 15th, 2006 at 06:52 AM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing spectacular today, just a failed flower. I couldn't get the core of the flower to live, and I realy shouldn't have started with white outlines of the flower. Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flower's looking good! You probably need some more contrast on the core to make it pop more, cause it looks kinda flat now. You did that in pastels too? I tried pastels a couple times but never got them to work for me..

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I set the timer to 10 min for each drawing, this is the result.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

And more random sketches
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    You can clearly see the difference in quality of the paper I used here. The one with the clean white background is thicker and has a smoothe surface, I don't like it when I draw, but it gives much better results when scanned... Big dilemma!

Here is a sunset wip. Actually its just a basecolouring >_<
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 16th, 2006 at 03:10 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yehee cloud! lol those are nice. Its neat that ur timeing urself. thats a good thing to practice, but i would worry more about getting things right, and spending a lil more time on them, seeing as how i have the exact same problem.

that sunset looks grrreat! just remember that there is reflection in the water. u prolly already had this in mind, but dont forget to reflect the sun off the water, it will give a reaaaly nice effect and add a bunch to the painting.

one more thing, ur lines still look like ur going over them a lot. if u see something that my look wrongish, just leave it, or if it bugs the crap out of u erase and try again. (undo feature in real life). but building up a bunch of lines over an initial line will only draw the eye to it, and make the error more apparent. its kinda like going over a circle or ellipse over and over. the more u go over, the more u see that the circle isnt right, and the more annoying it will get.

great stuff, its good to see u sluggin away. keep it up.

post edit: if u want ur scans to come out nice or cleaner, load um in photoshop and go image>adjustments>levels or image>adjustments>curves
    play around with them and hold up the art piece beside the monitor till they look about the same. it'll never be perfect but u can get them to look pretty close, and sometimes better.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX
    one more thing, ur lines still look like ur going over them a lot. if u see something that my look wrongish, just leave it, or if it bugs the crap out of u erase and try again. (undo feature in real life). but building up a bunch of lines over an initial line will only draw the eye to it, and make the error more apparent. its kinda like going over a circle or ellipse over and over. the more u go over, the more u see that the circle isnt right, and the more annoying it will get.
    The sketches I make now, are not supposed to look good. They are just practise drawings . I can go cleanup if I want to, but that'l take time and isn't very educational... But I don't know if I could change my style of linedrawing if I wanted. Ofcourse, I would need much less lines if I would rotate my paper(which takes time and make you lose overview of the picture) and also if I would do more thinking and coördinating before I start drawing. But a part of it is because its in my character to. When I was kid there a friend of mine who also was pretty good at drawing. He drew thick confident lines, much different from mine. Not because he was more skilled, but because it was his way of drawing, his handwriting.
    And sure I could put more time into things to work out the details more accurate, but I'll save that for later. There are just some skill that I wan't to learn first. I try to adjust my way of sketching to the skills that I wan't to obtain. I used to measure lenghts with the aid of object like a ruler or my fingers, which offcourse helps, but you don't learn much from it... Oh btw I even started doing some drawings with my eyes closed. To see and eliminate the difference in what I think my hands are drawing and what they are actually drawing(lol something experimental ^^).

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the mood in your sunset painting, is that digital or traditional ?
    The flower petals are looking good as well, the white on the blue gives them a nice touch...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TGhe sunset looks really good. Some reflections in the water and you're good to go.

And about the lines, going over your lines is ok but I always clean them up so they lshow the forms better. Best thing to do is to not go over your line and just draw the object again on another piece of paper.

yeah just adjust the brightness and contrast when you scan.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, mabey i came across wrongly. its no big deal going over lines, and making them look a lil wirey. thats infact the way i used to draw. infact if thats the way u draw, try and draw a whole drawing without ever taking ur pencil off the paper, as fast as u possibly can go. but before u do it, write down 3 rules u wanna keep in mind as u go right beside u. then as u proceed look over to remember them.

I too had a friend exactly like u just described. except he would draw more cartoony drawings, and he was by far the better drawer wen we were young, but since then ive stuck to it, and gonne for more refined, and real looking art, and am more into wat im doing than he is. and now its aware that im the better drawer.

its good that ur doing studies, im just giving u pointers on how u might wanna improve ur line efficiency. also, try ghosting out ur line b4 u put it down. it doesnt have to be anything spectacular, just mover u pen over the paper without pressing, and try and draw an invisible line first, then wen u thing ull make it, let go and press on the paper.

either way just draw, it doenst matter if u dont take any of my ideas or play with them. just do wat u want, and as long as u put down the miles on paper ull get the benifits. peace.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a question on some material stuff:

I wan't to make myself a model of the human head and figure in 3d, so I need some clay-like material. But I don't want all the mess and I wan't something that doesn't need to go in the oven and is more adjustable. What stuff do you suggest and where can I get it? Would those kneedable things that kids play with be suitable?

And to anyone who lifes in holland(or maybe belgium is pretty similar). Where can I get: kneedable gum, good quality mechanical pencils, inking pens(are there any ink pens that are discreet,black-white, but allow you to make some grayscales?) and erasers. And also some modern artlesson books. I don't live in a big city so its hard to find any artspecialized stores(if there are any in this tiny country ^^).

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not happy whith the results of this one, so I'm gonna start over using a different method for the highlights on the water.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Here are some basic practises.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.