Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    looking good. Main problems I see are:

the hand holding the sword have fingers that are too stubby, make them skinnier . It would be best to have her hand holding the sword more steadily. it looks like she just flung the sword up and over but her hand isn't grasping the sword securely enough to do that.

The hat should sit lower on the head. a bit above the brow is good, keep the angle of the hat pretty much the same.

the hair ribbon is really confusing because it looks like it's going into her skirt and it going around her left arm is kinda too much imo. If you want to give the ribbon a windy feel, you should give the rest of her garment some flow as well.
    I'll do a sketchover later if you want.

figure study looks pretty good, do you go straight into the structure drawing? when studying figures, I find that the gesture drawing is the most important part. It allows you to understand the energy and rhythm of the pose.

For the hair cg, try not to concern yourself with drawing every strands of hair. Using masses of darks and a bit of highlight will suggest the form better. Strands of hair are really only visible when they're seperated from the mass.

CCAD FRESHMEN
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yes, id give the same crits as 25. U do show some pretty nice knowledge of folds and clothing tho, it really stands out in that last work. keep up the tough stuff.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, I realy apreciate it. I will fix the hat, but I don't agree on the hand and that thing isn't a hair ribbon >.< The loose way she holds the sword is too suggest supernatural strength. Same goes for the ribbon, which is actually a wrap fo the sword that she controls with her left arm. I'll change the lineart slightly to make it more clear. But here is the colors sketch. You'll understand better what is what, because of the colors...
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Zhengpeng-Wim-Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    ahh, that makes it clear. In that case you should move the ribbon so its totally behind her and the sword and not sandwiched in between them. And definitely move it away from the skirt. When illustrating something, its best to make things unmistakably clear so that you dont' have to explain what is what to the viewer. cool design though.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    I improved the picture a bit. Tell me if you like it.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 1st, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    It looks better than the first version, and it looks good. I'm a little disturbed tho by the linequality down at the bottom of the skirt, if it aint to late the pic would probably look better if you reworked those. I gotta say tho I like your painting experiments (the hair and the face way up there ^). And I also gotta say I think it's time you put the manga stuff behind you. I see you're making some attempts at real world studies but it's time you make all of them real world studies. That's my opinion at least. Peace.

-hal

Thanks
    definitely fix the bottom of the skirt like boogieman suggested. And double true to leaving the manga stuff behind you. Once you get all the basics down and you go back to manga, you'll see that you can make you figure looks more convincing and have more structure to them.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Ok, feel free to convince me, but I find your arguments a bit vague. Can you be more preciese about what you mean. For starters, what do you mean with manga. That a many different definitions used so plz state what you mean exactly. However, I don't plan on using this kind of lineart for my next colorwork. I wan't to try something more 3d next time.

Can someone help me out a little on the painting part. I never used color mediums when I was a kid, cuz they were just too expencive at that time. I feel like a fish on dry land when I start painting. I did do some research on my own, as you see its not just random colorpicking anymore(thats what I did in my last colored art). But still I feel very unconfident about it and I got lots of bad habit like using the airbrush on top layers.

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 2nd, 2006 at 09:41 AM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Don't know how to define manga except as Japanese comics? But that wasn't the point. What I was trying to say was that you'll probably make faster progress in drawing if you focus your work on drawing the real world as You see it instead of copying another artists piece of art. Specially when the art is so stylized and detached from reality as the drawings you're imitating (not trying to bash on manga, just saying that anatomy and light isn't always true to life). I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just suggesting that if you wanna progress from this kind of stylized drawings like you posted above into realist art and maybe eventually developing a style of your own, now would be a good time to start. I assumed that's what you wanted to do but maybe I was wrong. Really I don't care what you draw, as long as you're happy with it that's fine. Just trying to be helpful.

For getting better at painting digitally I suggest you check out these links here on CA:
    killing.lessons
    The Peer Project
    There's a bunch of links in the tutorial section too and I think you can find some good stuff in the photoshop/painter (whatever you're using) section too.

-hal

Thanks
    Sorry If I sounded negative about your post. I just wanted to understand better and I think I have. Your very right about lightning stuff, you wont develope decent skill in this from drawing in manga style I guess.

Here is a very early color sketch I made. The colorpalet I use isn't very realistic, neither is the proportion of the figure. But I'll try to treat it as real flesh anyway. I'm having some real difficulties with the face right now so wish me luck :p

[img=http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/4738/22a13zt.th.jpg]

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    nice sketches zhengpeng!
    i've got a question:
    do you think threedimensional while you draw your stuff?
    i ask that question because i see a big issue of flatness in your sketches.
    perhaps my experience can help you a bit.... well.. sideshowbob (also from conceptart) guides me to improve, and he told me to think about a space in my empty piece of paper. and i tell you, it really helped me.
    my imagination helped me creating volume in my sketches.
    of course he also teached me how to use the foreshortening and the vanishing points to turn my object or to move it in my space =)

another thing that helped me is to draw lines instead of curves. it makes everything MUCH EASIER and MUCH CLEANER.
    find the dots you need by constructing them or by imagination. then you just connect them!

i really hope that will improve your skills, because i think you are talented.
    keep your sketches up, i want to see more!!!!

Thanks
    I do think in 3d, but I'm still very atached to the scientific 3d, so with no perspective aplied. Oo I tried practising with some cubes and tried to draw cubes with 3 vanishing points... it was very hard for me! And I have to learn to think in color too.

Edit: The face I was drawing was way off, I had shaded the whole damn thing and then I had to redraw it >.< I painted over the old face and tried to get thing right. I think the placing of all the features al almost correct now, although its hard for me to tell after looking at it for so long. Gonna take a little break from it and continue later.

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 2nd, 2006 at 06:43 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    manga banga kanga. lol. all that really matters is that ur drawing.

that painting u did a couple posts back is really nice actually. i like that its a lil blurred, makes sense for a painting of a beautiful girl. my issues are with the hand holding the sword, and the line quality varies throughout the whole drawing.

boogie has some good threads for digital painting. i dont really know that much about it tho, and dont have much to help u with. all i know is that if u do the mileage ull get good. and experiment experiment experiment.

basically just go here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42 and read all the tutorials and stuff. very good. i havent even read them all but its such good stuff.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.