Sketchbook: Zhengpeng's Sketchbook - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omg open canvas is sweet! If I'm not mistaken it has a different zooming system than photoshop. It allows you paint smaller than a pixel, how cool is that. This is how the image is comming along. The skin is smoother now, the I haven't changed the hair and body yet. Now how do I get the nose to look les flat? And do you mean I should cut off a little piece of her face just below her right cheek? I'll draw the shadows of the hair after I finished the hair itself. And I think I'll have te define the shape of her body better before I can make the hair from realistic. And before I go do that I'll have to do some practise scetches of the female figure ^^
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 4th, 2006 at 12:42 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Zhengpeng-Wim-Boogieman-Oki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    errm less flatness? thinking 3d, think of planes and use the foreshortening rule.
    the planes will be usefull because then you can easily put your shadow that shows the volume. that's it.

btw you can blend the skin with opencanvas by using the watercolor tool and put the three bars to their maximum =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings are showing great improvement Zheng. I agree with boogie, your anime/manga stuff is fun, I draw it too, but think about ow much better they could be once you develop a solid anatomical foundation(something I am working on myself). You'll see that eventually you can fuse the best of both worlds. I'm sure you probably didn't need to hear it again but I think you'd benefit. Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I tried some anatomy practice with cubes but I can't figure how to work with it . I also traced some photo's to see how they would look like in lineart. I didn't realy had time to continue my painting, but I did fix the eyes and eyebrows cuz they looked realy ugly from afar. (somehow you don't see those stuff in closeup...) I'll update the picture in my last post to save some space.

edit I'll upload the practice stuff I did as soon as I get time to scan them in.

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 4th, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhengpeng
    Ok I tried some anatomy practice with cubes but I can't figure how to work with it
    You should probably read some Loomis, to help you with this. You don't happen to have "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth", do you ? "Drawing the Head and Hands" is also useful, there are some pages in it about the planes of the head...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some 1-3 min animal sketches from photo ref.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Here are some 5-10 min portraits. The last one though was a older drawing and I took much more time for it. If I remember correctly I even traced it partly. I just added it to fill up the empty spot, thought it might be interesting. I plan on doing a few more portraits today, so you can see if I improve a little ^^.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some realy basic stuff hehe.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and welcome to CA. I suck at photoshop so I cant really help you with that. I dont even have a tablet lol ( )

For the rest, I'd just say draw from life and study proportions. I believe the most important thing. People also tell me to stay away from manga because it's a style deforming reality. You need a good comprehension of anatomy in order to deform it in a convincing way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay Zheng, sorry i've been away with pneumonia. First off your improvement is awesome. Keep up the good work. To answer your question about the flatness of the woman's face above. I have made a few guides here that i hope may help.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    No matter what angle the head is in the nostrils and mouth still follow the same plane as the eyes. (Follow the blue lines) I did a little quick shading on the nose as well to make it look less flat. I hope this helps.

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for the energie you put in to help. I totally agree on the nose line. Though I made the mouth like that on purpose, people tend to pull their mouth to one side when they make a little smile. Maybe I did it incorrectly.. dunno about that. The new relief you put in the nose is a bit too exagerated imo. I don't think asian people have noses like that.

Here are 2 more very quick sketches. I know I can do better but I wan't to learn to do it quick so I can practise more in the same time :p. I wonder if you can tell who the guy on the right is supposed to be ^^.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 6th, 2006 at 01:18 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid work since last I was in here. Dig the chick from your last post.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman
    Dig the chick from your last post.
    Same here, and about http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4571/26a26wc.jpg :

I like the girl in the bottom right corner a lot. That hair seems really life-like, good job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another portrait from foto ref. I have honestly no idea who she is though. I just thought it would be challenging to draw that big smile and teeth without getting the Jaws look...

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice keep rocking those pencil sketches. I like that one u posted yesterday of the 15 minute portraits. Especially the girl on the bottom right nice render/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clingck* clangk* clingck*clangk* ??? is that a machine i hear ??? o nm, its just zheng... o wait, he is a machine, a drawing machine damnit! shit keep up the work, u make me feel guilty not updating my book in the last few days.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    soem good reference portrait stuff here. YOu should do more of those but keep in mind the proportions and how things line up. The mouth on the last girl should go to the left more, the middle of the mouth should line up with the nose.

I agree with Penciller on the nose thing. It just looks big the way you have it rendered. If you want to draw a rounder and flatter nose, try blending the edges more. If you want a half smile, you ahve to add in some cheek muscle actions otherwise it'll look like a fake smile. keep it up.

The perspective on the box is wrong like you noted. The horizontal sizes of the box should line up with the perspective lines drawn from the vanishing points on the horizon.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Master 25 Days
    YOu should do more of those but keep in mind the proportions and how things line up. The mouth on the last girl should go to the left more, the middle of the mouth should line up with the nose.
    Nope thats not true. Mouth and nose only line up in a frontview.

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I think 25 days is right. The position of the mouth doesn't change with how the face is turned. The midpoint of the mouth, where the arch is on the upper lip and where your front teeth meet, line up with the nose on the face center line. Atleast in the general case... Don't believe me, hit Loomis.

I haven't seen the ref for your last portrait so I can't know, but the feeling I get is that the mouth is a little too far to the right of the picture and the eyes are a little to far to the left. Other than that it looks good.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the reliëf of the face. Belief me, the location of the eyes and the mouth is almost perfect this last pic(maybe the right eyes is little bit off). The lips are pulled back because of the smile, causing a unordinary reliëf. The placing is correct, it just doesn't look as credible because the shading isn't good. Or maybe the person I drew is a mutant Oo. If it wasn't a photo, I would doubt the correctness of it myself.

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 8th, 2006 at 01:53 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down. meh, we cant reaaly critiq on proportions cos we havent seen the reference. but the teeth thing, a tip is to simply render the whites, and dont shade the space inbetween each tooth. the human eye will do the rest. over all the the rendering is really nice. the strokes that i see that arent smudged or faded seem to follow the structure reaaly well. very good, for the time uv been drawing. the hair is out standing, nicely rendered. her left eye tho... could use a lil touchup... the pupil just shouldnt do that... but again if thats the reference... i have no say. keep up the great stuff, proportions will come in due time. u just gotta do the miles.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have to agree on what you said about the pupil and the teeth. There are a couple more mistakes I think, but using eraser just makes it worse most of the time so thought myself not to use them.
    I've never been good at swallowing medicine, but keep them comming ^^. Maybe I'll look back over a few month and think: omg what noob drew that mouth soo much to the right Anyway I just came to tell that I won't post today, but I will tomorrow(I'm not a robot after all!). I've did lots of stuff today but haven't scanned them in yet. (did em on a3 paper so I have to merge two scan together which is anoyingly timeconsuming) I think I did about 20 hands today if not more :p and a few figures.

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mm keep doing those photo refs i'm really liking them ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should post up the ref pic so we can give you better crits. otherwise we won't know what's really correct or not. Because w/o ref, the mouth really looks unaligned and the chin looks too big.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hand practise. I did some warmup, shapeless hands to get a feel for the proportion. Then I started studying the movement of the thumb.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Speedsketch and my first step toward anatomy(bleh I hate it)
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 9th, 2006 at 03:44 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should post up the ref pic so we can give you better crits. otherwise we won't know what's really correct or not. Because w/o ref, the mouth really looks unaligned and the chin looks too big.
    I forgot the location. If i would upload it to imageshack from my harddisk, that would be illegal right?

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for educational purpose i dont think they would mind. What kind of site did u get it from in the first place. Most likely they used that image from somewhere else too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waxed armpits? God that must hurt. Anatomy studies are looking great. Some small problems but you'll work that out with time, you got the general idea down.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to see you practicing anatomy but try to take it slow. No need to rush into full body shots right away. Get the bones down first, draw them from all angles, then move into the muscles. It help's to know where the muscles are attaching to make them convincing.

Nice hands also. Try to block them in and draw through your shapes. Most important thing to keep in mine is the palm is curved and not flat and the fingers converge to a point beyond the middle finger which is parallel to the arm in the default position. It's important to keep this in mind when you have the fingers wrapped around something to not bend the fingers out of line to make it fit the contour of the object.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to see you practicing anatomy but try to take it slow. No need to rush into full body shots right away. Get the bones down first, draw them from all angles, then move into the muscles. It help's to know where the muscles are attaching to make them convincing.
    Oh I thought you have to start big and then go into details later...

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies, keep the cogs turning. starting big and going into details later is kinda a rule of thumb for doing major or final art pieces, like wen painting, use a large brush, and then as the drawing progresses u go in and flush out the finer details. 25 is right about the bones. They are wat the muscles are draped on. its not about drawing from large to small or small to big, wen doing figures. but its more like constructing a building, u need the supports and then u put on the stuff. u do studies so u dont have to draw everything wen ur doing a final peice. so u dont necessarily have to draw the bones, just practice the, just suggest the bones with quick lines. hell, there is soo much to drawing, and i only know a tiny fragment. im still practiceing this stuff too. just gotta pound and pound and pound. and hey, for every good drawing there are a 100 shit ones to follow up to that. i just finished doing about torso studies, and im too embaressed to even post them in my sb lol. but yeah, just keep drawing, and dont get to ruffled off ppls crits. i used to get soo bummed out wen some one wacked my drawing. i still do, but hey its human. peace.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.