Sketchbook: Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Like and by others here, I've been inspired to keep a sketchbook journal. I will post any art I make, whether its bad or very bad and I'll try to post something every day.

Introduction:
    I'm 19, live in holland.
    Have had no art education or whatsoever and not following any atm.
    Like many people, I drew when I was a kid, but stopped later on. The past 6 years I haven't touched a pencil until 2 months ago. So I'm a rookie. I will start with pencil scetches, but my goal is to learn many styles, and learn to use all sorts of materials.

Any critiques that will help me are welkom, there is absolutely no need to hold back. Thx.

I'll start with posting what I made yesterday.

ps: I marked everything that I drew with artwork refference with a x

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad for not using a pencil to draw in 6 years. And only 2 months in. Its good that ur inspired. It'll be slow at first and kinda boring, but wen u hit some sweet drawings it will feel sooo good. Start by studying anatomy. Your hand has a memory built into it, and by doing studies and focusing it, and practising you wont have to think as much, and ur memory will do the work for u. work on all the very basics: hatching, contours, continuing a line (without obvious breaks) value, and color if u feel thats necessary. Also work on line control and drawing straight lines. wen u draw losely plant ur elbow on the table, and wen u have to draw a long straight line, rotate at ur elbow and us the wrist a little as possible. dont move ur body to hit the lines, move the paper. and to quickly build ur confidence use permanant mediums *ive said this a million times*. Who cares about mistakes, with time they wont happen as much, but trust me, they will always happen, and a true artist knows how to hide them. CA is going soo slow atm, i was trying to find a sketchbook to link u too that is soo inspirational to a fresh artist as ur self. Search of a book done by mindcandy. He documented his journey right from the beginning. well keep posting, and we'll help nudge u along the pathway. post everything u do, its crucial to get crits at such an early stage, they can help and go a long way to figuring things out. keep it up!

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for tips, (normally I draw with a paperblock in my left hand and not even on a table Oo). How I draw now is very different from when I was a kid. I used to draw very slow and look very good at reference. Now I just spam line where I think I want them, layers over layers until the right one becomes darker. These were all 5 min works except for the last one. Should I draw slower and pay more attention to place features on the right position. Or are quick sketches also a good way to learn?

I tend to get caried away in drawing pretty things that I don't pay enough attention to the basics. There are many basic thinks that I just forget to think about. I just figured I don't know how to draw two paralel lines that are in 90degrees with your viewing direction, in proper perspective. When I draw a figure, I don't see muscles but I just draw the curves. I get realistic proportion and anime/fantasy proportions mixed up a lot.

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Here is another example, its something I drew today. I had this picture in my mind and want to draw it. (a mother with a child pulling at her arm) But while I started I realised how little I know about feets, shoes, children propotions and faces. And I didn't kow how to draw an umbrella with proper foreshortening and perspective.

Edit:

I started blocking in some colors and shading the face.

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; January 29th, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Zhengpeng-Wim-Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to have you aboard Zheng. OBX is right about focusing on anatomy. You'll hear that wherever you go look in CA. Try to find a drawing group so that you can draw from real life. Drawing from books and photos will still help but the aspect of seeing something right in front of you that has REAL curves and REAL shadows has helped me tremendously.
    This next bit is more of a personal thing so take it as you will. I attend a college in the United States. A vast majority of the students, especially the ones directly from high school, try to draw in a Manga or Anime style. I don't know how it is in Holland but here, the cultural diffusion of Eastern styles has a strong impact in our younger aspiring artists. Don't get me wrong i very much enjoy watching good anime. Here's the thing.
    If you want to be, let's say a profesional background artists you would look at and study the profesionals in your field. You would see the caliber that you have to get to. It's not easy for most to break into any art field. Trying to break into the field with a Manga or Anime style makes the odds infinately more difficult. You would be competing with entire countries and cultures. I have many friends in China, Malaysia, and Singapore. They laugh at the silly Americans who try to become Anime artists. Over there Manga is part of thier culture. There are Manga comics on the shelves equivalant to Golf Digest or Home and Garden. They have Manga for everything. There are literlaly thousands of artists in every different Asian country who have drawn Manga since they could crawl and they do it cheaper.
    Alright i know i rambled on there. It's not like me. If you just want to draw for fun then none of this really matters anyway. If you do want to become a professional it's definatly something to keep in mind.

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am aware of that. However, there are some things that I don't agree about.

First of all, when you draw realistic things, doesn't mean you want to be a pro in drawing realistic things. The main reason you do that is cuz it is a helpfull even if you draw fantasy stuff. Even though there are tons of anime artists out there that have a cultural advantage, it doesn't mean you should stay away from it. Drawing anime allows you to learn many things that will help you in other styles. So who cares if someone laughs about my art for being mediocre of even less. Anime style art has grown a lot and if you look around you can see that the border of what is anime or not isn't a clear line.

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some things I would like to see, one is more studies from anatomy books and read them too. I can tell you like anime, I used to draw it all the time as well, but its learning the basics thats most important first, I did it the hard way and i still have alot of bad habits from doing so. But if you really love to draw anime, here is a suggestion, find the anime artists you like and do studies and copies of their works as well. I dont know how you hold your pencil, but some of the pieces feel up tight and scratchy, if you dont already, try holding at the back on of the pencil to try and loosen up at first. I hope this helps out alittle. Just keep on drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My personal opinion on speed is that you should take your time to get things right first. Speed will come over time.

As far as manga style is concern, you can stll be realistic and manga at the same time. Hyung Tae Kim is an example of this and he's very successful. His proportions aren't realistic (done on purpose) but they're expressive and believable. To me manga is a style and you should learn to draw right first, before getting stylize.

For some crits, I would suggest drawing the eyes with forms in mind rather than outlining an oval like you're doing here. The top line should be darker than the bottom line. When drawing noses, try to suggest the cast shadow and the nostril only, don't draw in the bridge. It will give your female faces a softer and more feminine look. On males I find that it's ok to draw in more planes on the nose to make it more masculine.

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

she looks kind of like Tommy from The Brilliant Green. ^_^
    http://www.projectj.net/tbg.htm

much love.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    speed wise, go with wat ever feels right. usually i take my time on something im really concerned about and want to get good. but if its meaningless and all about the idea, i go as fast a i can b4 i loose my initial inspiration and my drawing turns into something else. usually speed involves carelessness, and that can be a lil bit frustrating. so my opinion is to vary it through out the process of wat ur creating.

that picture u started of the mother holding the childs hand looks like it has potential, and decent construction lines. At the point ur at, its ok to try and challenge urself and aim high. but dont let being dissapointed if it doesnt turn out, there are millions of peices of paper and enuf lead to do a million more. I struggle with this myself, and tend to loose interest in my drawings and about an hour or so. hence the title of my sketchbook in my signature.

keep pluggin away, and in another month ull be doing even better drawings.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Here is a blackwhite sketch, I made it with no predetermined plan of what I wanted to draw...

And I listened to the comments on my pencil techniques. I experimented with drawing longer strokes without lifting the pencil from the paper. It felt like riding a bicycle for the first time, you want to fall back to you old habit of walking when you think you're losing balence. ^^ I used no eraser at all so you can see where my lines arent fluid and other mistakes made.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great improvement on ur linework Zheng! The noses look much more feminine now as well. Keep practicing!

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Hair painting exercise in photoshop. I used different technique on the left and the right strand. But I work at 200% zoom in without noticing so all the detail I thought I was adding wasn't visible Oo.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    Here I tried to draw something mechanical. Original design hehe. I realised halfway that it look kinda stupid and I coudn't draw the parts properly in 3d.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    And here are a few more quick doodles.

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey zheng, u have a wacom tablet, or are u using a mouse?

u asked where i get my anatomy resources? right here, man, CA.org. best place on the freakin web. o and cg talk... lol. heres the link i used to learn a really quick contruction method http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=313809

aaand here

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26748

ur improveing really quickly, if u keep drawing at this rate ull rule the world! ur faces are getting much better, but it really helps to understand the bones and wats underneath things, if u really want to imagin and draw straight form ur head. U said u wanted to try all sorts of techniques and styles, and i think thats a great frame of mind. If ur at the anime stage right now, thats really cool, i was there once, mabey ill post some of my brolly and dbz sketchs i did wen i was younger in my sketchbook. but u should play around and try more realistic or even sureal styles and forms. id say try some more realistic styles, coz i see u got a nack for it in those sillouette studies. im really dinggin those, prolly my fav out of all the stuff uve posted. owell yah just browse around for anatomy resources, theres tons on the net, and if u cant find any, go buy a fitness magazine or sumthing. keep up the hard work.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did this one fully digital. And I plan to color it soon. So if you have anything to comment, be quick ^^. Zhengpeng's Sketchbook
    And some 15 min scetches from photo reference. The first one I finished in 3 min, didn't look good at all then redrew it in the remaining time, but it still looked silly. So for then next one I decided to divide the paper into two halfs to help myself a little. I had time left, so I shaded it and added some decoration :p. The third was pretty hard to do. The legs were hidden by dark pants and realy hard to see.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good. Main problems I see are:

the hand holding the sword have fingers that are too stubby, make them skinnier . It would be best to have her hand holding the sword more steadily. it looks like she just flung the sword up and over but her hand isn't grasping the sword securely enough to do that.

The hat should sit lower on the head. a bit above the brow is good, keep the angle of the hat pretty much the same.

the hair ribbon is really confusing because it looks like it's going into her skirt and it going around her left arm is kinda too much imo. If you want to give the ribbon a windy feel, you should give the rest of her garment some flow as well.
    I'll do a sketchover later if you want.

figure study looks pretty good, do you go straight into the structure drawing? when studying figures, I find that the gesture drawing is the most important part. It allows you to understand the energy and rhythm of the pose.

For the hair cg, try not to concern yourself with drawing every strands of hair. Using masses of darks and a bit of highlight will suggest the form better. Strands of hair are really only visible when they're seperated from the mass.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, id give the same crits as 25. U do show some pretty nice knowledge of folds and clothing tho, it really stands out in that last work. keep up the tough stuff.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, I realy apreciate it. I will fix the hat, but I don't agree on the hand and that thing isn't a hair ribbon >.< The loose way she holds the sword is too suggest supernatural strength. Same goes for the ribbon, which is actually a wrap fo the sword that she controls with her left arm. I'll change the lineart slightly to make it more clear. But here is the colors sketch. You'll understand better what is what, because of the colors...
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh, that makes it clear. In that case you should move the ribbon so its totally behind her and the sword and not sandwiched in between them. And definitely move it away from the skirt. When illustrating something, its best to make things unmistakably clear so that you dont' have to explain what is what to the viewer. cool design though.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I improved the picture a bit. Tell me if you like it.
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 1st, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks better than the first version, and it looks good. I'm a little disturbed tho by the linequality down at the bottom of the skirt, if it aint to late the pic would probably look better if you reworked those. I gotta say tho I like your painting experiments (the hair and the face way up there ^). And I also gotta say I think it's time you put the manga stuff behind you. I see you're making some attempts at real world studies but it's time you make all of them real world studies. That's my opinion at least. Peace.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitely fix the bottom of the skirt like boogieman suggested. And double true to leaving the manga stuff behind you. Once you get all the basics down and you go back to manga, you'll see that you can make you figure looks more convincing and have more structure to them.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, feel free to convince me, but I find your arguments a bit vague. Can you be more preciese about what you mean. For starters, what do you mean with manga. That a many different definitions used so plz state what you mean exactly. However, I don't plan on using this kind of lineart for my next colorwork. I wan't to try something more 3d next time.

Can someone help me out a little on the painting part. I never used color mediums when I was a kid, cuz they were just too expencive at that time. I feel like a fish on dry land when I start painting. I did do some research on my own, as you see its not just random colorpicking anymore(thats what I did in my last colored art). But still I feel very unconfident about it and I got lots of bad habit like using the airbrush on top layers.

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 2nd, 2006 at 09:41 AM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know how to define manga except as Japanese comics? But that wasn't the point. What I was trying to say was that you'll probably make faster progress in drawing if you focus your work on drawing the real world as You see it instead of copying another artists piece of art. Specially when the art is so stylized and detached from reality as the drawings you're imitating (not trying to bash on manga, just saying that anatomy and light isn't always true to life). I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just suggesting that if you wanna progress from this kind of stylized drawings like you posted above into realist art and maybe eventually developing a style of your own, now would be a good time to start. I assumed that's what you wanted to do but maybe I was wrong. Really I don't care what you draw, as long as you're happy with it that's fine. Just trying to be helpful.

For getting better at painting digitally I suggest you check out these links here on CA:
    killing.lessons
    The Peer Project
    There's a bunch of links in the tutorial section too and I think you can find some good stuff in the photoshop/painter (whatever you're using) section too.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry If I sounded negative about your post. I just wanted to understand better and I think I have. Your very right about lightning stuff, you wont develope decent skill in this from drawing in manga style I guess.

Here is a very early color sketch I made. The colorpalet I use isn't very realistic, neither is the proportion of the figure. But I'll try to treat it as real flesh anyway. I'm having some real difficulties with the face right now so wish me luck :p

[img=http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/4738/22a13zt.th.jpg]

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches zhengpeng!
    i've got a question:
    do you think threedimensional while you draw your stuff?
    i ask that question because i see a big issue of flatness in your sketches.
    perhaps my experience can help you a bit.... well.. sideshowbob (also from conceptart) guides me to improve, and he told me to think about a space in my empty piece of paper. and i tell you, it really helped me.
    my imagination helped me creating volume in my sketches.
    of course he also teached me how to use the foreshortening and the vanishing points to turn my object or to move it in my space =)

another thing that helped me is to draw lines instead of curves. it makes everything MUCH EASIER and MUCH CLEANER.
    find the dots you need by constructing them or by imagination. then you just connect them!

i really hope that will improve your skills, because i think you are talented.
    keep your sketches up, i want to see more!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do think in 3d, but I'm still very atached to the scientific 3d, so with no perspective aplied. Oo I tried practising with some cubes and tried to draw cubes with 3 vanishing points... it was very hard for me! And I have to learn to think in color too.

Edit: The face I was drawing was way off, I had shaded the whole damn thing and then I had to redraw it >.< I painted over the old face and tried to get thing right. I think the placing of all the features al almost correct now, although its hard for me to tell after looking at it for so long. Gonna take a little break from it and continue later.

Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 2nd, 2006 at 06:43 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    manga banga kanga. lol. all that really matters is that ur drawing.

that painting u did a couple posts back is really nice actually. i like that its a lil blurred, makes sense for a painting of a beautiful girl. my issues are with the hand holding the sword, and the line quality varies throughout the whole drawing.

boogie has some good threads for digital painting. i dont really know that much about it tho, and dont have much to help u with. all i know is that if u do the mileage ull get good. and experiment experiment experiment.

basically just go here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42 and read all the tutorials and stuff. very good. i havent even read them all but its such good stuff.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the portrait so far. Try using some more saturated colors in some of the tones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is as far as I got today. There is something wrong about the face that I can't seem to fix right. I'll make the shading a bit softer later on, but I did this with the hardedged round brush only for practice.(the hair is airbrushed) Oh and if you were wondering, I drew this from my mind and not from reference. Hard to find girls with white hair thes days...
    Zhengpeng's Sketchbook

My trial version of photoshop has ended . I've grown pretty atached to it in those 30 days. I've already had painter, so now I'll probly have to try open canvas I guess.

Last edited by Zhengpeng; February 3rd, 2006 at 05:33 PM.
    My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice. opencanvas is excelent. try artrage 2.0 too (http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html)

keep up the great work. ur improveing soo much.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. Some things you can do is tighten up the structures of the face but not so much since it's a female. The nose looks a bit flat. The part under the hair should be darker and some of your edges are too soft in some area and too hard in others. You're coming along nicely though and its good to see that. Paintover later if you want it.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.