Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hel- Norse Goddess of Death

Thanks

Hel- Norse Goddess of Death

Hi all, I've been crazy busy finishing up at the studio with Marvel Ultimate Alliance (will have a big download of images created for that as soon as legal clears. I decided to revisit this piece, based on all of the crits and comments sent in about it.
    I added some tweaks to lighting, details to her armorand the dead portion of her face so it reads better. I redid the sky in the backdrop to be more congruent with the overall piece and punched up some core shadows and secondary light sources as well.
    The writing in the bottom I also changed from English to Norse Ruins. For those who don't read Nordic symbols all that often- It is basically the name of Balder -the god that Hel waits most patiently for to fill that headstone.

I also worked on the helmet quite a bit, to fix some of the misreading issues and give it less of a football helmet shape.

Regards,
    Gangus

Attachment 175868
    Last edited by emily g; July 28th, 2007 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Made serious revisions to work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    awesome, simply awesome

Thanks
    looks really good, but im not liking the dodge tool look to the highlights. Its too white.

cool headdress design.

mike

Thanks
    great image, she definitely looks like a pagan death goddess! the only thing that's not working for me is her face. I think it's the helmet that's throwing you off. try painting on a new layer and ignore the helmet nasal. once you're done, copy/paste the nasal back in.
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    That kicks so much butt. Loving it. I understand bee-dubya's point though. Without the nasal the eyes would seem to close and to far to the left of her head. Off to lose myself in your website now...

Thanks
    I do not know if you are useing "clouds" for sure, but i think you are. right now them and any difference or wierd layer settings you have is distracting and muddying it up. I would sudgest to flatten it and then paint the same colors back over the top so it at least looks more like brush strokes. also give it more fully hard edges, like her shoulder, the gauntlet, the bird heads, and the horns. use your 100% white sparingly, like, i mean a few dozen pixels total in your picture, it will give your art a much deeper and broder visual range. and the small parts that are white will really "pop". skin actually absorbes light and refracts it before comeing aout, going throuhg blood vessils on the way.

That said, the art you are doing is difficult and skilled, and i am a big fan of your "filling Vallhala" I showed it to a bunch of friends.
    Visit my Portfolio

My Book Illustrations : A Children's book in progress that follows a young Raptor. Take a look, let me know what you think.

Inkblot Robots daily rampage!

~la bonne nuit ma colombe, Oui?

Thanks
    Looks great, although after reading bwkeough's comment I do notice something odd around that area. The helmet looks like it changes perspective, with the half on the left appearing straight on, and the other half angled more in the direction of the head.

Anyway, awesome rendering.

Thanks

Thanks
    The "two face" look is an interesting take, though her upper torso in myth is supposed to be "living" and the lower half "dead." I'm kinda bothered by her tits hanging out since nudity doesn't seem like a Norse motif (like it would be in southern cultures like Greek and Roman). Ah well.

I like the detailing and the overall texture of the piece.

Thanks
    I like alot of things in this painting but, something about it is not connecting. Im having a hard time trying to figure out whats going on in the BG for one. Is that her cape or mountain type thing? Also, you have alot of great detail going on here but, I think alot of it is getting lost due to the lack of hard edges. I think that mayb certain parts need to be broken up a little bit. Like where the helmet meets the face for example. of evn parts of the helmet, parts of her arm bands and clothing. Like those straps going around her chest. I love all of the lower half. what you did with the skulls, the hand, an whatever it is shes leaning on. Everything that Im telling you may be a personal taste thing. But, i think alot of it can really pop with some hard edges and some nice contratsts. I really love your work BTW and the complexity of your subject matters. I only hope one day I can execute paintings the way you do.. Thanks for sharing
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    wow! nice work Glen. I wish I could say the same about the weak ass crits that are given here and on other threads. 'cmon you guys do you post stuff just to be posting stuff without giving much thought? Sorry Glen for using your thread to vent.

Skin absorbing light through the blood vessels? wtf?

no "tits" in Norse motif? you're kidding right?

Try harder. type less, draw more.
    There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Very well done!
    !darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    mcotie: Show me some bare-breasted babes in ancient Norse art. I'm all eyes for ancient arts.

Why are getting offended at critiques to someone else's work anyway? It's fine if you don't agree, but don't take it personal. If you have that much time to get worked up about it, then you need to take your own advice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast