Thanks

Art Schools Question

Ok, a little quick background: I'm a Freshman in High School, almost a Sophomore, and I'm looking into a career in the art field.

I wan't to go to art school, and major in traditional/digital media, but I also want to minor in math as a way to (a) provide security in the job market and (b) make myself more marketable in the non-art fields. (Plus I love math)

I'm looking into several art schools, but none seem to offer classes at the caliber that I'm supposed to be on in my current track (I'm two years ahead of my class, and according to the four-year plans we do at school) I should be doing some very high level math classes.

Can anyone offer advice on a school that is a dedicated art school that also offers high-er level math classes.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would suggest a community college to get not only math but the other general education classes outta the way. Make sure ahead of time that the credits are transferrable. Art schools don't focus as much on those classes so a community college will teach you more, plus it's WAY cheaper. That's what I wish I did, anyway. Hope that helps a little.
    stuff

Thanks
    Tarwater has excellent points. Listen to what he says.
    Also...
    Being a resisent of washintong myself, i recomend cornish or WSU if you wanna stay in state. If havent heard anything good about Art institue of Seattle yet so you might wanna stear clear of there. Cali has a ton of awsome schools if you wanna move - I reccomend it, I went to school in southern cali and the weather is always nice there. the top schools down there are Art center (good luck) Ringlings (I think thats in cali) UCLA of long beach has an awsome GD department, it really depends on what type of art you like. Theres lots of different degrees.
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    Thank you both.

I was looking into the San Franscisco Art Institute, actually, and if thats what your reffering too then I'm guessing that I'd better have an extremely good grasp on art before I apply.

Anyways, if I do that, I'd probably try and go to Washington State or University of Oregon first to (minor) in math.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind moving anywhere once I graduate Highschool. I was looking for art-schools that also offered academic classes, but I guess that (the above) will do.

Again, thank you.

Thanks
    I don't think I've ever heard of an art school offering a minor in a non-art field unless it's in conjunction with another school. It's possible that you won't be able to find an art school that allows you to minor in math, so you may want to look into some BFA programs at state schools & private schools.

Also, if you choose to go the community college route, it will only help you with the lower-level credits required for a minor in math. Most colleges require you to complete junior and/or senior level math classes to complete a minor, and no art school I can think of offers these classes. My recommendation is to check out the UC and CSU schools, as well as private schools like USC, Stanford. Check out this link for a complete list of schools in California. Good luck on your college search!

Thanks

art institute

DO NOT GO TO THE ART INSTITUTE!!! hahahahaha.... they do not focus on art as much as you'd think. you still have general courses there such as math and english, etc. the acceptance part is simple.... apply and you are in!! NO portfolio and you don't even need to know how to draw. they rush you through everything and they just pretty much say this is how it's done, go do it and figure it out on your own. you do get a degree and with the math course you are open to any job really. but if you really want to become an artiste then go to art center or move to florida and go to ringling, but first do like the others say and get your general education course out of the way at a community college. make sense? just please steer clear of the art institute... just my humble opinion. thanks for listeneing

Thanks
    Again, thanks for the replies. I get the idea on the SF Art Institute: Don't go there. Besides that, what is the diffrence between the "Art Institute," and the "SF Art Institute?," since it seems to be two diffrent things. And, what, then, is the diffrence between Ringling and the Art Institute? Do they focus on different areas of art.

Also, I'm planning on actually "working" on my art skills all throughout High-School, which I do, and after High School. I've heard talk on this board about how going to an Art School is actually a deterrant when applying for a job in the Art field(s), because it looks like you can't draw/paint and then you go to the Art School and now suddenly you have a degree so you can paint now. Is this true?

Thanks
    From what I understand there are actually three main art schools. "The Art Institute", "SF Art Institute" and the "Academy of Art". I hear nothing but bad things about the Academy, but I heard the SF Art Institute may be decent. But it sounds like stikler999 may know more about that. I just not sure which school he is referring to. I agree about the math and general ed though. I think you want to check out a non art school for that.

The way I see it your skills as an artist are going to be what gets you jobs not your schooling. But a lot of people including myself go to certain art schools to get help in a specific field. I think Art Center is strong in illustration and transportation design. Cal Arts and Ringling have well known animation programs.

I think what direction you want to go with your art will help you decide what schools may interest you. If your not sure I think you have plenty of time to decide and it might be a good time to work on the math part. Hope thats helpfull.

Thanks
    oh yeah, the three schools I mentioned are the art schools in San Fransisco I know of.

Thanks

hey

please don't take my post the wrong way. i had a bad experience with the art institute, and yes when i say that i mean the SF art institute. don't get me wrong, they are a decent school, they just didn't offer everything i wanted. i mean they still give to algerbra and another math class, plus english and i think one more general eduction class. as far as anything artistic they offer life drawing, color theory, painting, airbrush then some random classes on photoshop and illustrator. it all depends on what you go there for really. the difference between that school and the Art Center and Ringling is that those are full on private art schools (at least i know ringling is) that offer all art courses and a couple libral art classes, plus it's a difference of about $40,000 roughly for tuition. the SF Art Institute is waht like $30,000 for two years? Ringling is $20,000+ for one year and it's a four year school. best thing to do is hop on some of these schools websites and ee which one will offer you what you want. get an 800 number and call them, grill the hell out of the admissions office and get all the info you need from them. but i apologize if my original post seemed kinda harsh. good luck and send me a PM if you got any more questions.

here check this websiteThe Art Institute

Thanks
    Ah-ha. I get it now. I was confused about two diffrent places referred to as the Art Institute. Thank you for your help.