Art: Development of a concept artist/illustrator--WARNING--long!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Development of a concept artist/illustrator--WARNING--long!

Hello all,

I'll give you some background info first off. I use to draw a lot as a kid, mainly from comics. I was pretty much stuck in Marvel comics mode. In HS I slowed down in my art and took more interest in social interaction. Years past and in college I made a brief but uninspired return to the arts.

You see, I was floating aimlessly w/o direction and I had no idea what I wanted to do. I spoke with someone was a graphic design major and that sparked the brilliant idea that I'd churn out websites and design cd covers for a living. I entered the foundation art program which is required first year. Then you have to submit a portfolio to get into the art major of choice.

It was nice getting back into drawing again. I had a lot of fun in my classes. Unfortunately I just wasn't motivated enough to actually WORK on my portfolio. The deadline came and I was not ready for it. Suffice to say, I didn't make it in. I ended up leaving school and have been working in IT for a few years now.

Looking back, in a lot of ways I'm glad I didn't end up going into GD. I wouldn't have been happy. Fantasy art/Sci-fi illustration and concept art are what excites me. I'm not happy working in IT, though the money is good. I'm ready to make a serious commitment to becoming an illustrator/concept designer. I've been drawing more lately, mainly from anatomy books. I'm going to start attending figure drawing classes. I am serious about this, and I will do whatever it takes to get there. Just reading many of the posts on here has been inspiring.

I would like some advice on the build up of skills necessary. Right now I have decent life drawing skills, not great but passable. I can work in ink pen. In painting I am pretty much a virgin, so I know I will need to delve into colors soon. But right now I really could use some direction on what skills to learn, and to build upon.

Right now I am just working on trying to pose my figures in more dynamic poses. I understand perspective, but I am trying to put it into more use. Any other advice would be great.

Thanks to all that have read the long drawn out post. I look forward to any responses =)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds great shinji, getting back to your drawing roots

Life Drawing classes, or even from life, train, park, maill would definately be benefitial. I'm planning on taking one next semester.

Do you have any drawings you could post? That may allow some of the more seasoned artists to guide you in terms of what you may need to work on in that respect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shinji-eva01 - join us in the Middle Class!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Phait Guest

Exclamation Oh My God

I just have to say.. and I haven't read this entire thread but the first post yet.. that you (Shinji) and I are very alike. I drew often as a kid, loved comic books.. didnt do alot during high school, and I'm a web designer (not employed as, but a general web designer).. the relation I found w/ your post was.. I don't know - but a good feeling. I also want to go the concept art (and 3d modelling-texture artist-level design) direction as well.

I'm definitely paying attention this thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 rules to live by...considering I am in exactly your place...I am working as an administrative assistant...and I HATE it...I actually didn't draw at all as a kid though...I just started 7 months ago hehe...so here are the five things that really helped me so far at least...take them or leave them:

1. ) Draw from life...as much as possible. Draw everything from life if you can at this point...at least in the beginning.

2.) Join us in the middle class hehe

3.) Read about and study the masters...read everything you can get about them and their techniques.

4.) Unplug your tv and remove your video games (until you are an accomplished artist)

5.) Draw 4- 6 hours a day even if it means staying up till 12:30...this is a daily battle but will prove meaningful and rewarding when your skills increase.

We are behind you here. Now lets see some work.
    :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've found that this site has inspired me to get back to the type of art that I have always loved as well. I got a job out of college with an ad agency that was bought out and closed. Head designer of a glass etching company that was great but I couldn't live off of what the boss could afford to pay me. Since then I've bounced around jobs from Chimney Sweep (Yea ... Chim chim cheroo) to my present jobs in sales, security and swim instructor. I have kept an active client list of freelance work but have realized, since I found this site, that my work has been flat and unprovoking. I have been warming up in my new sketchbook by visiting everyday and drawing the DSG topics, The Middle Class topics or whatever grabs me from the other artists I see here. I thank everyone on this site for igniting the creative fire that I have neglected for too long. The passion on this site from all of the artists is infectious. If you ever feel down or get in a rut just stroll through the pages and I'm sure it will get you motivated again. If not, drink heavily and draw the hallucinations. :beer:

To be nobody but yourself -- in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human can fight; and never stop fighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit off topic but, what is the middle class?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The middle class is a forum here where all the really big drawing geeks hang out, make exercises and study masterworks.

wish I had time to join them...

www.robertomarchesi.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehehe...yeah pretty much hehe...basically just trying to learn the way the masters learned. Doing cast drawings and still life drawings/paintings...etc..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.