Out of Season

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Out of Season

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Out of Season

Out of Season

Poor little guy, he hung onto that branch with all his might. Too bad no one told him about the winters in Wisconsin.

About 7 hours in Photoshop.

Hi!! I just found this place and decided to join on up. I'm hoping to learn some good stuff about art and how to improve mine by expanding my techniques and work more in painting. I hope you like my latest piece and crit the heck out of it

Thank you!!

-Kara
    (Sorry if this sounds cheesy as an intro, the coffee is eating my brain =))

"You get more out of a kind word and a two by four, than a kind word." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cute, and I think the execution perfectly fits the concept - Really soft and cute.

My only crit is, is this an apple? The top of it looks more like a cherry, and it's very wide.

Also, you might want to make his eyes look sadder or something.. the eyebrows are kind of ambivalent right now.

And welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adorable! A chilly cherry! Or an arctic apple, one of the two...

Coupla observations. That lower little branch there ends right on the edge of the earmuff band. Kinda awkward. But an easy fix. The dangling portion of the scarf, below the knot, looks a little unfinished. I'd add some of that purply red to it's shadows. The hard edges of your snowflakes are inconsistant with the treatment of the rest of the piece; they are obviously just PS brushes, and would look much more whimsical if tweaked by hand! And lastly...watch your light source. It's very unclear, or rather, coming from everywhere at once.

It's a really creative concept, though, and charming as all get-out! A few thoughtful adjustments, and this would make a great holiday card image!

Cris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice concept, but I have to agree with glikster. The shape doesn't scream apple. Also the shape of the stem and the branch it's hanging from don't look very natural.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a christmas card series in the making, one down, 976 to go.

nice concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster: I was going for a cherry, since cherry season is so short around here. thanks for the mention of the eyebrows, I see where you are comming from on that.

dream_sear: WOW! Thank you so much for your suggestions and really in depth feedback, I'm going to make some adjustments and repost soon.

inspector Lee: The branch and the stem were referenced actually and the reason for the stiff stem is to show a bit of cold , when you're cold you tend to stiffen up just a bit, much like this poor little guy's stem =) I drew him a little more rounded plump cherry, which I thought the little roudness to him made him just a slight cuter, after all you see so much thinness in art and advertising I thought something cute and plump needed some time =)

Dstudio: Well if it gets made as a christmas card, I'll send you one =)

Thank you all!!

"You get more out of a kind word and a two by four, than a kind word." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Okay so it took me a little longer to post a fixed up version.

Changes:

Worked on the light source.
    Repainted the snowflakes.
    Changed the eyebrow expression.
    Added some depth on the scarf.
    Repainted parts of the branch.

Keep those crits comming

Out of Season

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The edit's you've made are great! It's good that's you're taking the advice!

My 2 cents...

The stem of the cherry is very, very straight. If you look at pictures of cherries, their stems have a bit of curve to them, even when they're still hanging from the branch.
    I also think the end of the scarf needs to be wider. It looks awfully small compared to the width of the scarf around the cherry. Maybe add some more folds so it looks like it has more bulk?

Cherries also grow in pairs. But that's opening a whole new can of worms. Maybe add a half of a broken stem next to it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job!
    It's also great to see someone who takes crits well and uses the advice they get from others.
    When you repainted the branch, it looks like you lost a little bit of reflect light. In other words, the bottom of the branch looks a bit too dark. I would lighten it up a bit but keep the sharpness of the line. If that makes any sense.
    Everything else looks awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.