Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Artist catches thief with his own police sketch

Artist catches thief with his own police sketch

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...466991594.html

By Selma Milovanovic
    January 18, 2006

AFTER a burglar broke into caricaturist Bill "Weg" Green's Heathmont home on Sunday, it took the 82-year-old just seconds to draw his attacker.

Fifteen minutes later, patrolling police caught a suspect — and Mr Green's drawing proved they had the right man.

Mr Green, who has built his career drawing caricatures of football stars, said he rushed outside when he heard the thief swearing loudly as he tore through his backyard about 10am.

"I heard this awful cursing and swearing. It was the foulest language I ever heard," Mr Green said yesterday.

"He tried to brush me aside, him being much bigger than me. I thought if I got into a fight, I'd lose my dressing gown and I'd end up starkers."

After he pushed Mr Green away, the intruder stole his grandson's bicycle, despite its two flat tyres, and fled.

Police soon arrived and were initially reluctant when Mr Green offered to draw the burglar.

"We were mainly concerned with catching the offender who was still in the area," said Senior Constable Aaron Roche of Ringwood police.

"I thought (the drawing) might be a stick figure or something like that."

Seconds later, Mr Green — who still works daily drawing private, AFL and other corporate caricatures, as well as running a gallery — provided a detailed drawing of the burglar's face.

"It was amazing, the likeness was just fantastic," Senior Constable Roche said.

Fifteen minutes later, Croydon police picked up the burglar for an unrelated crime.

"After we had a look at this gentleman in the back of the divvy van, we just couldn't believe how much of a likeness it was to the picture that Weg had drawn," Senior Constable Roche said. "If anyone ever says 'can I draw the offender', I'll be handing them a pencil pretty quickly."

Mr Green said he did not expect police to catch the thief so quickly but that his ability to remember faces in detail helped. "I have an affinity for faces and I can remember faces even hours after," he said.

The burglar, who allegedly committed criminal damage elsewhere before intruding on Mr Green, was arrested at a nearby shop.

He will be charged on summons with burglary, theft, unlawful assault and criminal damage.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We already had this posted somwhere around but its nice to see a Picture of the Carricature so i guess its ok

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I couldn't find the actual picture, so thanks for posting this!

Now I desperately want to see the perp. I'm wondering if he thought it was an amazing likeness...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's Brilliant!

-JtJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by corky13
    We already had this posted somwhere...
    D'oh! Sorry for the double post then. Must have missed it the first time around.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.