Sketchbook: The Dancefloor - Boogie sketches (Update: September 18)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Dancefloor - Boogie sketches (Update: September 18)

New stuff in the back
    I actually got a little better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all. Decided I wanted to get a sketchbook of my own and this is it. Everything I do that isn't complete crap if gonna get posted here (the stuff I spend alot of time on will probably be posted on other parts of the site as well) and my hope is that some you guys will be able to give me some advice on how to improve. I'm pretty new in the artgame still and altho I'm progressing I got a long way to go before I can compare to the other artists on here. I work mostly in pencil and gouache (I got oils, but still unused) altho this first batch will be mostly digital seeing as I just purchased my first wacom a few days ago and been playing around with it since.

To start off, a selfportrait and a pic of myself as an introduction. This is me:
    Digital (photoshop)

If you think I look tired that's because it's 3AM over here. And I got a lecture tomorrow Now, this portrait is full of errors that even I can see, but I don't have the energy to fix it. Not right now atleast. Considering it's my first piece with a wacom I think it's decent anyway. Btw, I don't care what people say, painting with a wacom is NOTHING like painting with a brush.

Valuestudy in gouache. Original painting made by William Whitaker and is called Indian Territory. See it here.

Studies of chimpanzees (pencil)

Chimp graphic (photoshop). I'd very much like some tips on how to improve this one. It's for a project I got with my friend and I want it to be good.

Excercises for the Peer Project. This was the very first thing I did with my wacom.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Boogieman; September 18th, 2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Title change
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learning to paint with mine also. Just throw away your mouse and use the tablet all the time. Should get comfy in a couple of days. One thing that will help the sp is to scale the lips about 40% larger. It might motivate you to correct anything else you've noticed.

As for the chimp sketches, they look a bit rushed. Really take your time and analyze the ref. picture as you go. Remember, practice is your best friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice progression man, keep drawing, really nice self-portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got some stuff for you today as well. Gonna try and update this once a day. Will probably last about a week... Today was anatomy studies, one digital and one pencil. Bought this lead holder today, it's like a pencil but made in metal and you can replace the lead. Real nice drawing with.

MrBobMarley - Thanks for the crits. I'm gonna leave the sp as is, will start a new one later and make that one better instead. About the chimp thing you're absolutely right. I get bored after studying the same subject for too long and I get sloppy...

Darktwin - Thanks!

That fat kid - You lolling at my mug? You hurt my feelings . You're right that I need to pay more attention to proportion and details, in general and especially in that sp. I used to pay better attention to that kind of thing but now it seems I'm slacking. Thanks for kicking my ass about it.

Tell me you don't like that . I studied this subject real well... Seriously tho, see any issues with it?

This one made me realize I still got a whole lotta studies to do. Except for the pug-fugly hands I really messed up the abs. I know what the rectus abdominis look like from the front, but I got no clue how to make em look good on a turning figure. Gotta hit Loomis again.

Edit: forgot about this one

It aint all that special, but I wanted you to see the improvement compared to yesterday.

That's it for today. And now it's bedtime . Peace!

Last edited by Boogieman; January 23rd, 2006 at 06:50 PM.
    -hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been reading mentlers sketchbook thread and copying some of his drawings today. It was a real good read. He helped me come to the conclusion that in a drawing your own artistic expression is way more important than realism. I find when I draw figures and try to detail the anatomy as realistically as I can they often come out real stiff and pretty ugly (see yesterday). Altho when I forget about realism and draw my figures the way my mind instinctively knows them they actually come out pretty and even kinda dynamic/rythmic at times. They aint got true to life anatomy, but they look cool. That's gotta be what matters. Mentler said in his thread "You draw what you know. Not what you see", and yeah thats true. So now I guess it's just a matter of getting to know.

Mentler copies

Of course they're nowhere near the originals, but they were fun doing.

Also did one of these 3-views. Taking mentlers advice and gonna try do one of these a day. Don't know how long thats gonna last...

Aaand some loomis stickmen

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That fat kid - I took that piece of advice of yours and went to a figure drawing class with it Or "kroki" as we like to call it. It was my first time at figure drawing evurr, but I think it went ok. Check for yourself they're posted below.

Figure drawings:

And that's the top10. It was a 2 hour sessions so I got a bunch of other drawings as well, but I think I might've posted to many already.

This will pass for todays Tre Grazie

Edit: Almost fergot, did a mentler copy today as well:

I been neglecting the peer project. Gonna work on those excercises now. Peace!

Last edited by Boogieman; January 25th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
    -hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice william whitaker study, great living master! You seem to be having some problems with proportions. For example the distances between features, like in your sp, notice the distance between the eyes and how the nose relates to the face. everything is geometry, look for the shapes and sizes in everything you study. Then you can really study value and form, only after you have mastered shape.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The second portrait in your first post is your stringest piece to this point. Good studies too. Remember proportions though! Keep on drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo peeps!

TFK - Yeah I tend to steer clear of drawing faces and hands in just about every figure drawing I do, not just the life ones. It's a bad thing but in this case I think it's kinda called for. Altho the session is two hours every pose is on average 2 minutes (40 sec - 10 min), which don't give much time for detailing at all. What I tried to do in these (tried to do, not necessarily did) was see the figure as a whole and draw the important shapes, putting focus on the parts that carried weight by exaggerating their size and putting a lot of lineweight on those shapes. Point taken tho on the line quality thing, I'm thinking bout getting a ballpoint and using that instead of pencil when I sketch. Might help me improve. Btw, thank you very much for your continued support and your critiques, it means alot .

Katsgod - Thanks!

Orozc0 - Thanks for the feedback. I did two more sp's today and I tried to pay better attention to the shape and proportion of my features. You be the judge of how well I did.

Serpian - Thanks. I put alot of time into that Whitaker study, I'm glad someone likes it

Thanks for the feedback all! It's what keeps me motivated. And here's todays batch:

Self portrait photoshop

A bit sketchier than the last one, I figure it's a bit cooler too. Let me know what you think.

Self portrait ink&brush

No underdrawing for this one. Like that woulda helped.

Train sketch

3pose

Still haven't done the Peer Project excercises I planned to. Shame on me.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice book so far. ur ability in grayscale is stellar. esspecially in ur sp's. lets see more.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OBX - Never been called stellar before, thanks alot

TFK - Thanks. I'll keep churning them out I promise.

3pose:

Did this one using a method Mentler displayed in the latest post of his sketchbook. You build the pelvis out of a box and the torso out of an oval and detail on top of that. Before this I've been constructing my figures with Loomis' stickmen but I find this works way better. You get a good sense of volume from the beginning and there is much less struggle in working out the more detailed anatomy. Thanks Mentler!!

Portraits
    Dad:

Mom:

Me:

Quickies in pencil. Mom and dad watching TV and me in front of the computer.

PP4:

PP7:

Finally did these...

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

College application

My initial plan for education was to apply to the architect program at KTH (Royal Institue of Technology in Sweden) altho lately I've been feeling like architecture might not be my gig, and also I've heard bad things about the teachers and the principal on that school. So I decided I'd also apply to the BFA program at an art school in Stockholm (Konstfack). I made this decision last night, I did some looking around at Konstfacks website and discovered that in order to apply I need to put together a portfolio of 5-10 pieces in A3 format and send it to them before March 6th. I have nothing already made that would look good in a portfolio which I feel represents my current skill level. So that gives me roughly 6 weeks to crank out 5-10 large sized high quality works, and I need your help. These are some ideas I have of what the portfolio might consist of. Now, I never put a together a portfolio of any kind ever before, so I need some input.

1. SP compilation in pastel (see below for 1st stage WIP)
    2. Series of figure drawings from life (maybe 2 pages)
    3. Master copy in gouache (I'm thinking of Caravaggios Sick Bacchus)
    4. Landscape painting in gouache or digital
    5. Portrait in oils
    6. Clothed figure (b-boy) in watercolor on top of Notorious B.I.G-stencil in inkwash
    7. Small quick portraits from life in rollerball pen
    8. Pencil composition of cute girls + random

I figured I'd go for many different mediums and many different subjects to demonstrate my range. Is this bad reasoning? What will they most likely be looking for in my portfolio? Should I concentrate on demonstrating my strongest abilities or should I do like the suggestion above and give them a little bit of everything?

I'll probably post this somewhere else as well for maximum feedback.

Anyway, heres a pencil sketch of the first point on my list above. The original size is A3. The line through the middle comes from having to scan the thing in pieces and is not there in the original. My plan is to render this one i a earth tone pasel (monochrome). Sepia maybe. Now please CRIT!

I looked pretty pissed off in every one of these sp's so I decided to call it anger.

I also did one of these Three Graces things today. The portfolio thing was filling up my head tho and I was totally uninspired to do it. I did anyway since I promised myself, but it don't look too pretty...

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those last faces rock! But on the topmost face, the nose is kinda weird I think. Difficult angle...
    I haven't done any portfolios either, but my guess is that it's good with a little bit of everything. Maybe a stronger focus on what you're really good at, but not just that, it may become redundant. But what do I know.
    6 weeks is a tight schedule, work hard man, work hard!
    Good luck and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mentler - Thanks.

Serpian - Thanks. Yeah that top portrait was the last one I drew and I feel the weakest of the bunch. Part cause I was tired and part cause it was a real hard pose. I reworked that nose a couple of times but never got it right, hopefully it'll come out better in the render.

I said I'd render the SP compilation in pastel, but I didn't have any pastels at home and it's sunday today so the artstore was closed. So, instead of contuing to work on that I started work on the master copy I said I'd do. It's gonna end up as a gouache painting, this is just the first step where I figure out the values. I know about the problems around the elbow and on the leg, if you see anything else please point it out.

(Skipping Three Graces today. Tomorrow is life drawing day, so hopefully I'll be able to do two then)

(Sorry for the glare from the flash. Didn't wanna take it off the easel to scan.)

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet progress and commitment dude! Looking good!
    I like the figure studies and portraits, good form and value.
    Caravaggio study looks good so far, cant wait to see some gouache on top. Only mistake I see now is the eye closest to the viewer should be a bit lower to match the tilt of his head.
    SP compilation are best sp's so far, got the best likeness.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Master study looks really good, keep it up

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SirGreenSock - Good catch Sock! There was something bugging me about that eye but I couldn't figure out what. I moved the outer edge of that eye down a few millimeters and it looks better now. Thanks.

fooxoo - Thanks.

I went to a lifedrawing session today. Didn't do too well tho. This was an other place than last time and their lighting sucked. They had ten different spotlights in the ceiling directed at the girl making it very hard to draw her. That's just excuses tho, it was a bad day for drawing today and no matter how good the lighting was it probably would've made no difference...

I did about 20 drawings today but I'm only posting these two. They were the only ones who came out not horrible .

Did the three graces today as well, two of them actually to make up for yesterday.

Got home a couple hours ago and continued work on the Caravaggio. Nothing fancy, just fixed the problem with the eye and some problems with the back and then I layed on some washes in gouache. Hopefully I'll get in some serious painting hours tomorrow.

I think the camera screwed with the colors a little. Looks different in life. There's not much to crit on right now I guess, but if you see something retarded I'm doing don't be afraid to let me know.

Gotta get to bed now. Slept three hours last night and my alarm clock goes off again in 6 . Peace.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good start on Bacchus, nice values. Go get some sleep, even if you have to work hard to get this thing done, don't burn out yourself. If your too tired your work will suffer, and we don't want that now do we? Keep up the good work though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Serp - Amen to that. I've been drawing retarded all day today and I chalk it up to lack of sleep. It's just that time aint enough sometimes...

Todays upload. Pretty effed up all of it but as I said, I blame it on no sleep. School is fucking with my mode...

mentler copy

half assed mentler copy and a random effed up head.

three graces

Didn't get as much painting done today as I had hoped either, only 45 minutes at the easel. Laid in some more washes, drew the outline and landmarks of the body in burnt umber and started to block in major forms. Still keeping the paint pretty wet going thin to thick. And still got a looong way to go before it's anywhere near done but it's looking up. Gonna get a new pic for you tomorrow. Hopefully I've done some real progress by then.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    boogieman. good stuff, guy. When doing value studies, I suggest breaking up the values into 4-5 or maybe even 3-4 values then blend where there is a transition. Sometimes you don't even have to blend , you can just put a medium value between two values of great contrast. Try not to overblend so you wont' lose the structure. If you get this part right, when you step back, your picture will look convincing.

serpian is right, you should get some sleep. You're a handsome man. You need that beauty sleep!

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ace stuff boogieman, puts me to sham, no really ><

Loving your paint study alot

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only 1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    25 days - Thanks man, you coming on to me? I got that advice about value before but never applied it.. I believe it's valid tho, I feel I smooth my values out to much when I render and the images end up pretty dull. Gonna try your approach next time.

Flynn - Thanks.

I'm saying screw it to the three graces now. I'm not really in the anatomy mood (plenty other stuff on my head) and it seems when I force myself to do something it turns out shit. Hopefully I'll get motivated to start again sometimes soon, probably after the portfolio hustle is over. I did do some painting tho. Got maybe 2 hours easel time, wish I'd had more but needed to do some school shit too.

Heres where I am on Sick Bacchus. This is proving to be a real challenge. Not that I ever thought copying a Caravaggio would be easy, but It's more a struggle than I thought it'd be.

Started this today as well. The white/red makeup is inspired by Kanye West's performance at Abbey Road studios. Used the photo below as ref. It's just a sketch so far, spent maybe 20 mins on it. I know there are a ton of proportion problems and I'll be fixing them. Now tho it's bedtime...
    (Photoshop)

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painting is on the right track, watch the tones, some are getting a bit too on the dull side, might wanna brighten up some areas of the face. Pay attention to the gradation, too, to keep the form.
    Girl painting looks good so far, watch some of the curves, such as the lips, they should end concave not convex. Also, her jaw is a bit too strong, its more subtle in the ref (if youre trying to stick to it).
    Last of all, watch the line quality, its too jittery, "hairy". If youre having trouble with drawing precise curves, try drawing using straight lines first, then smooth them out.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing good mate. Keep up the good work. About your work, I find the way you draw the muscles and the way you shade pretty harsh. Try to be more subtle. Shading something is not just dividing a area into smaller ones and then giving them a color(unless you're going for a cellshade look). If you what to keep it rich of color and interesting looking several colors will have to overlap.

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Zhengpeng-Wim-Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually, shading is just the application of dark tones to make an object looks 3d. You can do it however you like it but the simpler the shapes are the more powerful your painting will look. And you can achieve that by having a strong dark tone and don't overblend it into the medium tone. Only blend it to get rid of the edge between the two tones. After establishing a good dark, and blending, squint your eyes to make sure the shape of the dark tone hasn't change. You can do this easier in photoshop by making another view of your image while you're working and set it to zoom out.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progress on Bacchus, but watch the eye size and remember both eyes are paralel! ALso in the original, the shadows on his back are far more subtle than the ones on his arm, but I'm guessing your working on that.
    The makeup idea is nice, but as has been said, you need to give her a smoother chin. If it's a her, are you just using the ref for the pose?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SirGreenSock - Thanks for the crits. I know there are some serious issues with the Caravaggio right now but I'll hopefully I'll be able to work them out...

Zhengpeng - Thanks.

25days - Did a value study in photoshop today and used that technique. Works fine. Check it out below

Serpian - Thanks. I'm using the ref for the face as well as the pose. Take a peek below.

Been working digital all day on that girl I started yesterday. Haven't done a thing on the Caravaggio copy. I work insanely slow with this wacom, even slower than with traditional media. Taking it this far took me 4-5 hours. Face is considered done, now it's "just" the matter of her hair, body and the color. Anyone got a good technique for coloring over a value painting in photoshop?

EDIT: I know the likeness aint really there, but I prefer here this way. She looks grownup and I like it.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman
    Anyone got a good technique for coloring over a value painting in photoshop?
    I believe it is explained in this tut. http://www.sofos.com/adi/tutorial.htm

My sketchbook:
    Page-1-2-3

25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Zhengpeng-Wim-Boogieman-Oki

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.