E.O.W Round 13: Coastal Trading Outpost - THE BIG VOTE!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite Coastal trading outpost.

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Waho

0 0%
  • Corrick

14 22.95%
  • Amerasu

0 0%
  • smot

0 0%
  • llothcat

0 0%
  • voraz

0 0%
  • hurricane

14 22.95%
  • Mitze

1 1.64%
  • Noiram

0 0%
  • Sept13

5 8.20%
  • Failoniir

5 8.20%
  • artiphats

0 0%
  • tagHeuer

1 1.64%
  • Hideyoshi

21 34.43%

Thread: E.O.W Round 13: Coastal Trading Outpost - THE BIG VOTE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 13: Coastal Trading Outpost - THE BIG VOTE!

E.O.W Round 12: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC: Valhalla

Deadline For Voting: Saturday 21th January

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

posting thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Waho

Porun Jaad is Glaonia's best place to trade goods to gold and wise versa. Long bridge takes travellers to an inn where they can rest if there are free rooms to rent. It's said that Porun Jaad is safe place for sailors and travellers - though the pirates attacked there four months ago. Since that, there have been seven armed men guarding the place at the night time.

Corrick

Once the busy and prosperous commercial hub of the Ferreutian island chain, this skyport has since been afflicted with a state of financial and physical ruin in the aftermath of the government upheaval on the main island and the subsequent move of primary trading routes. Its degrading pilings and rusted cargo rails have seen countless efforts at refurbishment, but none such attempts have brought it back to its former glory. It's simply taken longer to completely erode.

Built into the mouth of an intercoastal canyon, the port remains as an interim haven for smugglers and pirates and anyone else brave enough to trust this crumbling anchorage.

Amerasu

The trading centre of Salishnaram is a small outpost of the Randamas empire of Maldishna. The centre, though small, has a busy cloth and food market and is the main market for many small towns and villages of the outer Randamas empire. There is one small temple to the trade god, Groudum, but most prefer to spend their time getting a good price on barrels of wine.

smot

"The Mushroom Towers" is a social, bussines and entertainment centre of Our planet. The most famous people are meeting there.
    I was enthusiastic when I was entrusted with becoming a Master of security. However my enthusiasm didn┤t last long, till the time...

llothcat

The Outpost with No Name...

a favorite spot for tourists in the far reaches of the Salton Sea. Hostles are a commonly built on top of bustling shops for the convienvience of visitors. Everthing is built within the natural rock face to better protect against high tides and the rancorous smell of the seasonal fishkill.

voraz

This trading post is mostly frequented by pirates. They come here to get technical assistance for their boats and also to trade the goods obtained in their activities.

hurricane

The third outpost of the Osaldarin is a wealthy one, on the verge of becoming a smaller town.
    This outpost serves as a guiding beacon for the trade routes as well as a marketplace.
    They say that a pitcher of Osaldarin mead will make you invinsible for a hour, or was it drunk?

Mitze

Planet Bob is a mining planet and also a water planet with few outcrops of land. The mine worker with little spare time to fly off planet trade there minerals at these small trading posts. The trading posts themselves are crude as they are build from the scrape of the mining rigs. Women beer and gambling can be had there of course, something for the miners to spend there hard earn cash on.

Noiram

the waystation
    just of the coast of Alaska this gargantuan facility was built to transport goods between Russia and North America using zero friction locamotives.

Sept 13

The outpost x-14 y7 in the Derren coast.
    After the conquest of Millin region, the holy emperor Xu ordered to set up trading outposts along the Derren coast of Millin region.
    The purpose of the order was to prevent the coastal fishers and merchants from rebelling as well as to build incomes for the rebuilding of Millin region.
    The outposts also serve as military buildings, to keep an eye on the locals and find information of the rebels among citizen.

Failoniir

Haven of the Veris Tribe
    the last haven for the Veris tribe. The only surviving settlement in the area, and depending on every ship that cross it's way through the archipelago, the beacons leading the ships on the right course through the mist, delivering the one thing, the only thing that Veris tribe strive after, huge batteries of electrical power. A trader could make a fortune, because of the payment, the precious archipelago pearl, in which a mysterious power dwells.

artiphats

The Towers of the Phizios Sea are well know on the planet Bunero 12. Water Towers number 3 thru 7 descend deep into the ocean, giving visitors either a view of the sea life or view of the surface depending on where they are in the towers. Flourishing with merchants who sell, buy, and trade during the day, the outpost is only a 15 minute trolly ride from the metropolis Oniz, or a 20 minute underground train ride from the military compound. As evening approaches, as seen here, merchants have begun to pack their belongings away and lock up the stores. As shoppers and sellers head home, the lights come on and the outpost becomes the center of night entertainment for the locals, the military personel stationed nearby, and visitors from far away.

tagHeuer

500 years after the war, civilization has rebuilt itself. The republic of Poplaski is the only remaining territory that has yet to surrender to the NWG (new world government). A monk watches over the port from a snow-covered monastery, he keeps watch for pirates or NWG ships and enjoys a beautiful sunset.

Hideyoshi

Zulu-08
    Build in 2022 on the shores of Western Samoa, this trading outpost has remained one of the few places that hasn't fallen victim to the infamous Jighwa pirates...

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First!

There are several pieces that I really like here. My vote goes to Sept13. For my critique I will say that while the boat looks nice, I think something more futuristic looking may have made it more believable since the building looks all sci-fi. Thats about it.

Everyone else great job, I actually left comments on everyones pieces in the original thread if any of you care to look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo! Great round. My favorites are Hideyoshi, Corrick, and Sept 13.

I went with Sept 13. Good job everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hideyoshi got my vote. no particular reason. just the best piece here.

hurricane - great atmosphere and colors. it`s just
    isn`t quite clear what are we looking at, there`s no details and no perspective. elemnts aren`t connecting to one another.
    voraz - is that a photograph of a beach you just manipulated with some filters? if so - you could have done alot better.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hideyoshi got my vote. no particular reason. just the best piece here.

hurricane - great atmosphere and colors. it`s just
    isn`t quite clear what are we looking at, there`s no details and no perspective. elemnts aren`t connecting to one another.
    voraz - is that a photograph of a beach you just manipulated with some filters? if so - you could have done it alot better.

Last edited by Chuck,mate.; January 22nd, 2006 at 04:10 AM.
    -Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    my vote went to Failoniir i like the feeling it gives me but it could neeed some touch ups to get to the next level...
    Sept13 thats one great enviro!

rest of you, stellar work !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the votes artiphats and bRěk3n_sPiRiT

I personally went with Hideyoshi. I especially like the water and background elements. The building seems a bit off-perspective from place to place - but it's still a well build scene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted Failoniir. I love the organic shapes of the foreground.

I also really liked Hurricanes and Sept 13.

Phillip. Designer, web developer and artist.
    Check out my website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Hurricane. Great mood, incredible atmospheric rendering. Could use some more texturing detail in the buildings, but overall, well done.

Other favorites were tagHeuer and Hideyoshi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Hideyoshi, the second I liked most was the one from Corrick.
    Chuck,mate- No, I painted it and then applied the filter to it. As I explained in the other thread it was supposed to be a WIP and not the final look, since i was not happy with it. I am glad it was considered good enough to be takem to the poll (it was maybe because there weren't so many works), but like I said I understood very well if it was not taken. It was good to make me spend some more time in photoshop.
    Anyway i had said all that in the other thread and if you confused it a manipulated photograph I guess that's not so bad! Though, I still don't like that you have suggested that I had done that. Maybe you suggested that because that's the way you do your stuff?

I am posting the image without the filter to show it was not a photograph, i hope that there is no problem with that.

Fil

Last edited by voraz; January 22nd, 2006 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hideyoshi: the perspecive just blew me away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot, guys!
    I voted for Hurri, loved the mood.
    Runner ups: Sept13 and Failoniir

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks hurricane, and yeah, I really needed some more time so i rushed some things that im not really happy with, but I think i might redo some stuff on it just for my own sake.
    thanks to pvpham also, I often try to work a bit with somewhat organic and swirling shapes.
    hurricane and hideyoshi - great pic's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i voted for corrick, great colours and mood. Though i was impressed by Hideyoshi's perspective. My other picks were Failoniir and Sept 13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by voraz
    I voted for Hideyoshi, the second I liked most was the one from Corrick.
    Chuck,mate- No, I painted it and then applied the filter to it. As I explained in the other thread it was supposed to be a WIP and not the final look, since i was not happy with it. I am glad it was considered good enough to be takem to the poll (it was maybe because there weren't so many works), but like I said I understood very well if it was not taken. It was good to make me spend some more time in photoshop.
    Anyway i had said all that in the other thread and if you confused it a manipulated photograph I guess that's not so bad! Though, I still don't like that you have suggested that I had done that. Maybe you suggested that because that's the way you do your stuff?

I am posting the image without the filter to show it was not a photograph, i hope that there is no problem with that.

Fil
    yeah. that`s how i "do MY STUFF".
    because my painting are SOOOOOO realistic.. jesus...
    no need to be so touchy. it seemed like a photo manipulation, because of the cheap filter. it`s not? great.
    good for you. have a nice one.

-Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't need to get touchy too. What do I know about your paintings?
    You were the first suggesting I was cheating by presenting a photo manipulation in this kind of activity. I didn't appreciate that, even though it is not such an important thing nobody likes to be called a cheater.
    That's all.
    Fil

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went with Mitze. For odd reasons

this project seemed to me to be defined as a "small seaport outpost" which implies in my mind a certain ruggedness. and isolation. And mitze's has a pioneer, explorer....new in the place look about it that seemed to fit.

Hurricane's was my Favorite picture but it looked like a major city and seemed to be lacking in the "seaport" part...docks and ships (any ship with any sense would be out to sea in that weather).

and Corricks airship is incredibly cool...

C.Rocks

Thanks for voting for me my first vote ever, from 5 drawoffs. Now to double my votes for the next drawoff then the world. I voted for Sept 13 just a nice pic. Corrick great pic but i did'nt get coastel trading post (i don't read the write ups i know terrible). And Hideyoshi did'nt get my vote as he had too many already won so i wanted to use my vote to highlight other pics i thought deserved more love.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for me it came down to hideyoshi and corrick. both paintings were excellent as paintings: color, composition, brushwork, etc. but i had to go with hideyoshi due to a stronger sense of design.

corrick, you seem to have placed more emphasis on the ship vs the dock, which digresses from the subject. but as a design for a blimp, sailing, cargo ship i would have to say odelay!

k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Voted for Hideyoshi, hurricanes didn't really give me the feeling it was a trading outpost.. lol. More like the ocean god's lair? Both of you had the best images.
    Mitze yours was raw. Just the coloring seemed too spontanious, the ocean could have done with a few improvements; I'm liking your style though. If you see these comments, take this shit to the next level. Lights and the mining structure were exceptional. Concept was tough to crack with the people on the shore and everything, something was missing.

Keep doing you

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.