Finding Art Directors
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Finding Art Directors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finding Art Directors

I've been doing freelance illustration in a somewhat haphazard way for almost two years now, and I'm trying to get more organized about it. I'm wondering if someone can help me with some tips on locating art directors. I'm thinking of trying to find as many ADs as I can to write to, and assuming I won't be hearing back but trying anyway. How would that work I wonder? Do ADs work with projects of particular styles, and go to artists they know in those styles? Do they work within particular industries? What should I send them at first? I don't really know how the whole AD thing works at all, honestly.
    I may be mistaken in the basic premise that locating and contacting art directors is a good way of hunting gigs, if this is the case please enlighten me. If not, I'd like to know where they can be found and what they're about.

Anything will help here.

Peter Diamond
    Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

anywhere / everywhere...artistic mercenary
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello...I am no longer an Art Director but was 2 years ago. I did receive a pile of portfolios and demo reels every week...sometimes people were sneaky enough to get my actual phone number while I was working....I've been on both sides of the fence as I am now seeking work in 3D......

About: "what they're about"...usually the agenda and style of a project is decided in a meeting, there's a deadline, a target audience, and the budget.....( art direction is management ).so to put it in perspective, for the art director it's like searching for a place to eat with little time and little money. If things can be done inhouse that's best.....if not find someone who's good that's really close by that's within budget.....a lot of really good work gets passed over because of a projects' time constraints.....often an art director is frustrated because he has seen some work that he would like to use but hasn't had the appropriate opportunity to use it......best bet just send to as many places as you can and if you can get to know some art directors with regular follow-ups that would be best. Try not to send the same stuff in twice though.

hope this helps

Mitch
    www.akhuamedia.com

also in Canada

SPILL MASTER

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds like a bit of a misconception, yousir.

What you seem to be looking for is an agent, someone who forwards work to you.

Art Directors are usually veteran Artists, working as full time employees at a company, leading the Art department of a specific project.
    They can be found in almost any business that has to do with art and requires large teams, most prominently movies, TV and games.

Last edited by Sonnenkind; January 22nd, 2006 at 04:04 PM.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    1. Find company you are interested in working for. (Google, Bookstore, Newsstand, industry directory, etc.)
    2. Find and call main phone #.
    3. Ask for the art department.
    4. When transferred, say, "hi, I'm an illustrator and I'm interested in showing you my work. How would I go about that?"
    5. Write down everything. Make sure you get names and titles of contacts. Make sure you get correct spellings.
    6. Repeat 500-1000 times.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's also a book that comes out every year called the Artists and Graphic Designers Market that is just listings of 1000's of magazines, publishers, greeting card companies, etc. with info on what they look for, who to send your portfolio to, sometimes what they pay, and other related stuff

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everybody, I can tell this is all going to be helpful.

Mitch, particularly glad to hear from a former AD. Knowing a little more about what it is they do, I guess ADs aren't exactly who I'm looking for. I suppose it's just who ever I can get at whichever company.

As for agents, I've thought about that too. Do they charge simply by percentage of work they get you, or is there a fee to retain their services?

Thanks Tristan, that's exactly what I'll do.

I'll look for that Dave, do you know how much it sells for?

Peter Diamond
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This might help you. It is an annual listing of art directors, galleries, and such in various fields and what they are looking for in submissions. A useful little tool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...Fencoding=UTF8

I am matty.

www.mattyryan.com

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone should also have a copy of The Business of Illustration by Steven Heller and Teresa Fernandes. A lot has changed in the eleven years since it came out, but it's still the best overall guide to the field.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This might help you. It is an annual listing of art directors, galleries, and such in various fields and what they are looking for in submissions. A useful little tool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...Fencoding=UTF8
    that be the one. I'd say you can get a copy for, oh, $17 or so...

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'm going to have to invest in one or both of those. Once I get some work again, that is....

Peter Diamond
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder, do Agents normally charge as a percentage of work they get for you? Is there usually a fee for their time other than that?

Peter Diamond
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the agent and the deal you strike with the agent. But usually that is how it works.

I am matty.

www.mattyryan.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Illustration agents are usually referred to as artist's representatives, or reps. Reps typically get a 25% comission on work that they bring in. Promotional expenses (mailers, directory ads, web fees) are typically split by the same percentage (25% rep, 75% artist).

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I eventually want to compile a list a illustrator guilds and associations for this section, but until then here's the list compiled by the aoi:http://www.theaoi.com/Mambo/index.ph...mid=4&catid=41

They also have articles about agents:
    http://www.theaoi.com/Mambo/index.ph...d=12&Itemid=26

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.