Art: difficulties: art, life, and creating.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy difficulties: art, life, and creating.

heya, i wanted to pose a question to the forum... possibly i can get some help with this. i know its kinda odd to say but its been on my mind real bad... lately ive been having a real rough time with my art. ive got alot of insecurites that i just cant seem to beat. maybe im just not focusing 100%, i just dont know... but something is missing in me. art has always been my lifeblood, without drawing i sorta get mental cabin fever, but for this last few months ive hit the hardest wall ive ever had to face. im starting art school here in a few weeks too, and that only adds to my anxiety. i know for a fact that this is what i want to do with my life, but here lately this problem is starting to make me doubt myself really bad. where several months ago i was able to create all kinds of fantastic ideas, today i can hardly imagine something interesting, let alone get it down on paper.

i know that this is kinda weird to just dump out here, but ive gotten to the point where i need to voice my concerns and maybe get some help on this. im not asking for any 'cures' or shortcuts... i think what im looking for is to know that im not alone in this. cause sometimes it really feels like im the only one having this much difficulty.

any feedback is welcome, heck, if youre going through this sorta thing post about it here, maybe we can help eachother.

chris

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if its your lifeblood than it in you, if its inside of you its not going anywhere. you may be nervous an anxoius about starting art school and thats totaly understandable, but its just your nervous and fearfull energy that is supressing your creativity, once you begin school and become more comfortable there your doubts will be set aside and you will begin to create agian stronger than ever with even more focus. I do sugest you take this creative down time before art school starts to start life drawing, figures still lifes. landscapes, whatever you like. this you you can concentrate on your obervational drawing skills, something that will always enhance your imaginative drawings in the future, whatever you do dont start art school rusty, begin your first day with both feet running.

good luck
    and have fun.

sparky Guest
    As a new member to this forum, I hardly feel qualified to respond to such a difficult post. however, I have taught college level art classes, so I guess I am somewhat vindicated.

First and foremost, keep drawing. I cannot stress this enough. it's like compound interest, you cannot make up for lost time. It doesnt matter what you draw-I cant tell you how many sketches I have of my dog!

secondly, art school is stressfull. You are being judged day in and day out. but primarily it is done with the intention of making you a better artist. I tried to tell my students it was art boot camp.-except that it lasts for longer than 12 weeks. I wanted every one of my students to be succesful. I wanted them to be people that I could turn to when I had a job to farm out. I wanted them to be my PEERS when they graduated. To that end I pushed them.

Finally, not to put any undue pressure on you, but it is all up to you what you get out of this. A crisis in confidence is something that each of us has to endure time and again. It is not limited to our work, but to the whole of our life. But I will tell you this little thought that helps me through it all.
    I truly believe that it is what you do when no one is looking, that truly determines your character.
    What does that mean? it means that you can make your own destiny by doing the things that you do, for no other reason than your wanting/needing to. Going to the gym, drawing...anything that has no "immediate" results. You can come through this with more than you think, just hang in there.

f

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your time and for your words. i will take your advise to heart. if anyone else feels the need to contribute here, this could be a good thread for people to look to during those dryspells.

thanks again,
    chris

Lurch Guest
    I'm new here... actually this is my first post, and 2nd time looking at this site, but i know what your going through..

if you are feeling like your art isnt doing very well right now, be sure to ask for honest opinions, remember that even if it looks like crap to you, it probably looks great to most other people. of all the stuff i have created, i can honestly say i've only been "happy" with maybe 3 or 4 of them, mainly because i dont always know when to stop

keep drawing, and you'll have that one insignificant little sketch that clicks and turns out great and your old self will be back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hit those walls hard buddy. hit them head first so hard you almost knock yourself out. then get back up. keep telling yourself you can do it.....over and over and over. fall down, get up....repeat. feed yourself w/positive input whenever those bad thoughts come up!!!!!!!! if you want to do it, you can. remember!!! you can be a bad ass. it might take time. but you can do it. positive, positive, positive. practice being positive like you practice drawing. and go for it. good luck.

ps those walls are there for a reason. and trust me, they get a little softer every time you hit them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i appreciate everyones posts, after a little bit of time im finally over it(pretty much). ultra-special thanks goes to android for the pm.

chris

zak Guest
    thats natural dude, dont worry when i get excited about anything my hands start to shiver vigorously. its really bad. just dont give up. keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey chris i feel exactly the same as you. Ive only just seriously begun my art career and all this worrying is getting me down. I no longer see things and be inspired to draw, like I could a couple of months ago. I only hope itís a phase and i feel safe in knowing im not the only one going through it.

Good luck and I hope all goís well for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah it sucks... im finally sorta coming out of my funk, which is nice... but ive had a bit of insomnia lately thats crushing my creativity. need sleep... uhhngh.

chris

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.