Money Problems- HELP!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Money Problems- HELP!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or something.....

Currently I'm HS Senior. I have a tad problem, I don't have money. I can't pay for anything. I can't go to an art school without money. My parents aren't helping me out with the money problem (Long story) for art school.

I'm 100% alone in this.

The point is they don't want me to be an artist. They've refuse to pay for my apps for any art school. =/ I have no support for me going to art school from family. Right now I only have in my pockets is enough is to pay for only one apps for a school. I'm going to buy one of those money order.

I want to go Cleveland school of A+D. OR Columbus.

Currently I want to be a concept artist/ comic book artist. Just about anything that I can just paint or draw.

I have two real options:
    A) Work for a year and self study and pay off debt.
    B) Work in college and pay off debt

C) Staying at home going to the local CC. (isn't going happen after what -will- happen in few month from now. They will disown me. )

I really have no idea what to do as for the money debt. What can I do to lessen my whole zillion dollar college debt? What should I do now?
    I'm sorta looking ....financial aid or scholarships..... resources. Anything will help. P_P

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe there are some others here who are in your boat... but, I mean here's what I think...

Art school does cost a lot of money. And if it's all coming from you, you have to make sure it's the right school (so really, I'd apply to at least a few). Being that you're young, there's the chance that you're not ready for college yet. But maybe you are.
    So say you apply to one school... there's $40 gone, then by April or so they want $500+ deposit for housing and such... then you've got the normal tuition costs/fees in July. Surely you can take out loans and such for the tuition and fees and everything (with a cosigner.. maybe Grandpa). But the application fees, and the deposit are the tough ones.

What I think is that you really need to work out something with your parents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Go to the CC and do two years worth of basic classes. You parents won't disown you if they think you're going to a cheap, diversified school (where you might change your mind about arts). You might even con them into helping you pay (or co-sign a loan) for this. The goal for you is to have little or no debt for those first two years (NOBODY needs to pay thousands of dollars for english and math classes).

- Get a job. Fact of life, everyone has to do it if they want to support themselves.

- Save money for applications and fees. Work your ass off on your portfolio.

- Apply to the art schools you want. Pimp your portfolio for scholarship money.

- If the parents still refuse to help in the money department, you need to fill out a FAFSA for govt money, and look for any other family member that will cosign a loan with you.

Bottom line: Do not jump into the vast money wasteland that is art college just because you're ga-ga over becoming an artist. Use your head and work out the smartest way to get what you want for as little debt as possible. The two years you spend at a "normal" school might even warm your parents up to accepting your choice when you make it as a college student.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, try talking to the school you want to go to, discuss your problems with them and they will usually give you a few options and ideas of how to go about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We can all sympathize with you. Lord knows I was working those 70 hour weeks in the summer to afford my schooling the next semester when I was in school. Sometimes it's not the most deliberate path to get to your goals but keep your goal in mind. Work through these times if you can.

The suggestions of going to a community college is great but make sure with the school you plan on attending accepts the credits you plan on taking at the local college- no use in wasting time & cash if they don't take 'em.

And I know this might sound silly but since I run into it enough times... have you applied for Financial Aid??? As odd as it may be, sometimes people forget or don't know about federal assistance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Free Application for Federal Student Aid
    Fastweb.com: Find college financial aid, search for scholarships, and get money for college.

If the parents won't assist you with an art school, take the Community College advice the other folks here have offered. If you take the general education courses, history, english, chemistry, physics, college calculus, they should easily transfer. Depending on your schooling, you may already be proficient enough in those subjects to get college credit in them already, so feel free to look into the College-Level Examination Program® or CLEP. And as for the fafsa, if you're planning to attend college after the spring of 2006, you're going to want to fill out that form now. Goto the link provided above and get yourself a pin number asap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it's just art schools that your parents won't help you with. Then just go to a university with a great art program. Just don't tell them you are an Art Major.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The real reason why I can't go to the local CC.

I'm probably making a stupid and a childish decision here. My parents have done enough crap for 17 years (I’ll be 18 by May.)… My parent and I don’t have very good relationship. I'm moving out with my bf by the end of May. I have been planning this for sometime. This is going to be out of state too...

Going the local CC here.... is not an option.

Those two are the closest art school from where I'd be heading is. That's why choose them. I'll probably consider looking up the local community colleges over there, however it'll still cost me just as much money for being out of state.

I'm under assumption when I’m in Ohio that I'll be bombarded with "adult" things to do, paying the rent and paying the bills etc... living with my bf. I will have to look for another job. Getting a car. Pretty much my parent will hate me for good amount of time… and will not support me in my studies, or anything… Pretty much I will be hated good amount of time.

Really. I don’t have anyone in my family to turn too… I’m not close that close to anyone. Although, I wished I was. That means like everyone in my family.

About the college thing, It means ANY art school, university not 20 miles radius…. Actually, I can’t go anywhere but the CC here… and since I’m not going be there when the time comes. Since… I’m a minor at the moment… I can’t apply cause my parents won’t sign the “X” on the page. Im screwed. Haha. I don’t really know where to start in my problem. It’s one of my problems in life!

I guess taking a year of and work.... sound like an idea for me and PIMPING MY PORTIFLIO.

@Gavin: The problem is I can’t. I tried going over to their house probably a good number of time to discuss this and going to art school. =/ Enough times just say “NO” if I do open my mouth. They aren’t willing to listen to me. They aren’t willing to support me. When I referring to they… that means mom AND dad.

@Katsgod: Thanks. =]

@Mirana: It’s been four years, already. Even in a high school environment, they still do a large diversity in those subjects. I still don’t see myself changing and going into other subjects other then art. Maybe I didn’t say it… I AM SERIOUS BEING AN ARTIST. I don’t see why I’m wasting my time learning how to draw on my free time. I really don’t see why I’m taking these classes outside of HS art if I’m willing to learn. I enjoy art…. and doing comic working, I’m willing to do it for life. I guess I’m going “ga-ga” but that’s just love. They’re not disowning me for that reason for going to the CC, it’s a whole complete different reason. Blah…. Your advice has been taken.

@Gauge: Good idea. I haven’t thought about that. Thanks!

@Storyboard Dave: Ouch. I’m sorry to hear… No, I haven’t applied for financial aid yet. It’s still on my pile of what I need to do…

@goldenavatar : Thanks for the resources! ^_^ I’m going through those site.

@dguy: I wished I could.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa... while not wanting to side with your parents, I can see where they'd be a little miffed with some of the decisions you're making. You're seventeen and you've already considered moving out of state with your boyfriend as priority one... NOT your schooling or education. I can see where they'd be a little disappointed.

Believe it or not, I'd like to think that your parents do have some consideration for your future. And with the choice that you've made- you've told them that your relationship with this boy comes before your education. Bluntly, what's this guy gonna do for your future? If he's THE ONE (and can you really make that decision at this tender age?), then he'd support you as you paved the road towards your future. Like you said, what are you guys going to do about basic things like food, transportation, rent, etc.?? No offense but you guys barely have enough experience to have a paper route. If this guy is the ONE you're gonna marry forever and ever- you can both wait. If not, quit deluding yourself with this extended fling and take control & responsibility of your life again.

Your parents don't hate you. They HATE the decision you're making. Give us reasons as to why they wouldn't support you lingering around home (I'll assume rent free) and continuing your education there. I think their decision NOT to support you is based upon what you've told them you want to do.

You want to be an adult? Then go be one. They're not obligated to support things they don't believe in. Just because you've turned 18 doesn't mean you're an adult (that's just a legal definition). I teach college age kids- much older than you and they're not ready to be a true adult yet; they're still wrapped up in student loans, school work, parties on weekends, heading home for the holidays and relying on parents for money. Real adults can afford to assume responsibilities like food, rent, insurance, keep a stable job, etc..

Now if you can swallow your pride, admit to your parents that you might be making a lousy decision (not saying it's easy), and want to stay home to continue an education (I'll assume it's not the curriculum or field they have problems with), I think they might be a little more receptive.

But it is your life, it's your relationship with your family that you've got to decide upon, and your future. We can offer as much advice and support as we can here but we don't walk in your shoes. You're still mighty young to be making some hard core decisions- but realize that the steps you make today will affect your future. Plan carefully; make the best decision you can while looking down the road five, ten, fifteen, twenty years from now. Where do you see yourself??

Good luck with it all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyLing
    I'm probably making a stupid and a childish decision here.
    Just hearing this line of doubt has me questioning how secure you are in your line of thinking. Stop for a second and think seriously about how you're going to become an artist.

Art is more than just about drawing pretty pictures for a living and practicing drawing. It's about immersion into learning. It's going to be a lifelong process. Even at my age (not that I'm some frickin' fossil), I'm still the student of art and a huge proponent of experiencing life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Storyboard Dave said -- DITTO.

Why are you moving out of the state (is it THAT small)? If you're going to move, why does it have to be so far (because the boyfriend has/is moving? Baaaaaaaad idea)? I moved to the city an hr away from my parents to support my fiancee and be closer to school/work. Though my parents were miffed about me paying bills when I could be living for free, because it wasn't so far away, they still supported me by co-signing my loan and giving me occational personal loans. When my little sis turned 18 she moved to the other side of the US with her boyfriend (her idea) and got nothing in the way of financal support other than a plane ticket back. She came back in less than two months because it was too expensive, she missed her family and she hated the people. I'm not saying it'll be the same for you, but it WILL be tough.

Sounds like you're making this tough move to either be away from your parents, or for the sake of your boyfriend. As Dave said, this shows that those things are more important to you than your art education. As such, you'll have to work out the consequences of those and put the education on hold.

Also, I wasn't saying you SHOULDN'T go to art school, I was saying that you could fool your parents into thinking that you were trying it their way by going to a diversified school and being around other majors. I did the same thing myself. My father wanted me to be a Computer Science major (GAH. Cubicles=NO!), but after two years of the local university and a portfolio that got me a huge scholarship, he admitted he was wrong. Sometimes you have to show your parents that it's not that you're being bullheaded--you know what is best for your life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't live my parents. I live with my grandmom. I moved out 5 months ago and haven't looked back since. I don't talk to my parents often..... It's more of a strained realationship between the three of us. Things really hasn't changed much.... past few years. Probably from bad to worse. Nowadays these things come up.... it's the sort of things when my parent and I have to clash and conflict arises. Pretty much we can't talk to each other. Pretty much putting it, they hate me.

Even though I do live with grandmom. I don't see -anything- changing. They live next door.

The problem is about the money. Where am I going to get the money? Pretty much the first post. That's the barrier for them wantting me to go to art school. How am I going to pay for it?

=/ I pretty much got the answers that I needed.

Even if I do go to the local CC, my friends and I are talking about renting an apt and pitching in.

I'm planning to stay with my bf just for the summer. Three months. longer stay is pending.... However I am worried that three months is going to strain the relationship between my parents and me more... I can imagine the worst possible worst situration- Getting kicked out. How am I gonna study art then? But this thread isn't about my personal life.

@dave: I'll see that in a couple of years from now if he is the ONE.
    @Mirana:They're convinced that I will become smart in math. Maybe I'll be a famous engineer! (sarcasm) Seriously... something that won't happen in a million year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyLing
    But this thread isn't about my personal life.
    But it is!

Don't you see how the choice YOU'VE made in regards to your personal life have put you in this financial bind? You can't separate your personal life and how you plan on paying for school in one easy breath. That'd be like me separating my girlfriend from my work schedule- it can't be done; each is linked through me. I have to accomodate each and consequences from one obviously affect the other.

Like Mirana said, what have you really done to show your parents that you're capable other than making bullheaded decisions? Admit it- you've hurt them greatly and vice versa but to say that they hate you? Them's some strong words! We all have disagreements with our parents (I defy anyone to tell me they haven't) but to say they hate you is another matter. That implication that they hate you is you putting up one helluva wall to distance yourself from them.

What's going to happen one of these days when you become a parent? Is this the way you'd want your daughter to react? Can't you patch things up or at least swallow some pride to get through the next few years in order to go to school?

Or if you don't want to do that and just want advice on getting money, then go get a job- several jobs and pray you can get some time between to do your art. Your art career's going to be a longer ways off than you think now... so good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.