Thread: Ilm Internships

Thanks

Ilm Internships

I just wanted to know if anyone else here applied to the Industrial Light and Magic Internship program? If so, have any of you heard from them? I applied, but I am not sure if I got in or not, because it was very difficult to fill out the application form because, as I am from the UK, the marking system is different in art schools here to the marking system in the US. I just told the honest truth and put my grades down on the application form. I knew that this would work against me, so I sent some artwork there aswell, as it is optional to try and help boost my chances. I am confident with the artwork I sent them.

cheers

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I know loads of folks who've gone through the LucasFilm machine (I, myself, have not been absorbed by the Lucas Collective as of yet). Like most other creative companies, it's the work, not your background, that matters. They are considered the best, and as a result are very picky. If your art is top-notch, there's not much more you can do...and if you rock at the core skills (human anatomy, environments, perspective), that is 2,000% more important than submitting drawings of anything sci-fi. Their attitude, like many other studios, is that they can teach people the tools and the workflow, but they will not bother to teach anyone how to be a good animator or a good draftsperson.

Also, internships pay minimally, if at all, and Marin County is an incredibly expensive place to live, so make sure you've got decent savings to dip into if necessary...coming from the UK, though, it may be less of a price shocker! They will work you like a dog.

BUT, of course, those three letters on your resume will never go away and are a fantastic door-opener.

That said, all of LucasFilm is moving to a new San Francisco facility over the next few years, where rents are acutally going down due to the dot-bomb bubble-burst...

I wish you the best of luck,
    -Atomick
    --------------------------------------------
    freelance imagemaker + digital experience designer
    http://www.atomick.net
    --------------------------------------------

Thanks
    very cool, I myself wanted to intern with them but the critieria fucked my: once your done interning you have to return to school fulltime! Im done for onw and i dont plan on going back since i owe over 44,000 dollars in loans. Thats a fucking BMW M3 I could be driving.
    BLAST ON YOU!

Thanks
    Yeah they're pretty late with their internship notifications as far as I can tell. I was lucky enough to land an internship at LucasArts the summer before last. They notified me the last week of April and I didn't get a call from ILM until my first day of the internship, which was May 18th. Most of the guys I knew who were interning there didn't start until early-to-mid June, so as far as the timing goes, you might not know until as late as June. And even if you DO get a call from ILM, that doesn't guarantee you an internship. I guess there's another interview session after the initial call, which acts as yet another layer of the screening process.

check out the old ILM internship post on, like, page nine for more info:

http://209.126.148.88/forums/showthr...&threadid=2648

-Sean

Thanks
    Thanks, guys. That's been reasuring. I am pretty confident with my portfolio because it has a wide range of subjects and use of medium in it. It was also presented immaculatly on glossy cards with a simple layout. I didn't concentrate on sci-fi at all, because sci-fi is beggining to bore me as everyone does it. I did designs for anything from a children's 3D animation sequence to period designs based upon the storylines of different books. I also submitted some life drawings and character designs and expression studies. in the end, I only did 2 or 3 sci-fi / fantasy designs. I am confident with the compositions and perspective in the designs, although I have learnt quite a bit since submitting.

god, i am starting to sound like i have a big head.

I may show them on the internet some time, but i dont know where to put them.

anyway, sorry to hear about your loan problems, i'm not looking forward to paying back mine, and the prospect of seeking work in the US seems daunting and a little scary right now. Things are a little more expensive here than in the states. i was amazed at how cheap the fuel is over there.

take care - DAN