Sketchbook: Lefran's sketchbook: 20th April - Page 19
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kovah- thanks, i did put it in, but it looked terrible, so i took it back off to start again
    Sketchling- Yeah i havent finished the hair coz it went wrong, so i decided to restart it, but yeah your right about the style thing, i could try redoing it again in a vector type way, like the unfinished hair, and thanks

Ive been a little busy with rehersals for music,
    but heres a sketch from tonight- a couple of my friends have been asking me to draw portraits of them, so heres one of my friend Adam, ill get some more done tomorow hopefully

C+C welcomed
    Fran

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apologies for the lack of updates, ive been in work quite a lot, and last week i was in barcelona
    but heres something from tonight and last night.
    Clint Catyalyst and Jeffree Star- I spoken to clint quite a lot recently as he likes my drawings and asked if id draw a portrait

Jeffree star looks a bit dodgy in this pic- the features are skewiff, ill try and correct it

And a single portrait

With a very dodgy hand! Ill try and fix that too

C+C welcomed
    Fran

Last edited by lefran; July 25th, 2007 at 06:16 PM.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Fran... you know, Hurri is not flattering you... he is right... your images make me happy too...it is wonderful mix of light romantic moods, and young faces and attentive eyes and nature and reminiscences and fresh new combination of different styles. I would call your style romantic retro... After looking at your images I think you have a wonderful sense of style and your art is open, lovely and emotional... emotion is light and graceful.. I just looked at the drawings and it is like kaleidoscope of past events... I'm charmed...
    The most wonderful are portraits of your friends... I don't know if you wanted them to be happy with your drawings or you like those people very much... but all of them look very sympathetic and likable and different from each other but combine by one mood... For example the last portrait with a funny retro hat and umbrella in shape of torn leaf... that's a wonderful idea and through those symbols and objects you bring so many pleasant and lyrical associations to me...

Your art is like light rain or someone touching keys on piano with gentle fingers, making a melody, or walk in the park with not very hot sun and fallen leaves.... absolutely charming.

here are my favorites:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/lefran56/236.jpg I like the serious concentrated expression on the face and you didn't add age to her youthfulness and caught the alive person personality in it. I really like kind faces of your friends.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/lefran56/231.jpg Funny and bold.... I don't care about pencils marks... portrait looks confidently done and it matches the personality of your heroine... I like an attitude in the the pose and careless expression of her half closed eyes. Wonderful... I like where you stopped... nothing to add IMO... mouth is not needed,,, I'm telling you... you have a wonderful sense of style and good strict taste....IMO, of course

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ricanwoman.jpg Charming stylizations... again... very strict balancing in borders of harmony.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...n56/boater.jpg Thats retro style again.
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...lisadamata.jpg It is lyrical and shocking a little in the same time and i like these cozy looking fabrics on her dress.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...an56/211-2.jpg Placement on page is very appealing and pose... it is not random in your portrait,,, I like delightful gentle colors and glance... great portrait,,,
    I like funny caricature next to it too..
    So... I think your sketch book is starting to have its own face... it is lyrical young face...
    bye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sve: thanks for the kind words, im glad you like my stuff

This weekend was great- UK meet in Manchester- i got up there on the friday afternoon, and those of us who were there on the friday had some proper Bar/club action going on, we got to bed at about 4:30/5:00am.
    Next day went to the Gallery, and saw some pretty cool paintings, and the Kylie Minogue exhibit.
    I didnt get much drawing done, but heres the two things i did get done

-Fineliner sketch, with a bit of colour addd with watercolour pens
    The lines are a bit dodgy in places coz i was on the train which was a bit bumpy at times ( you can see the kylie influence there hehe)

And a watercolour portrait ( that looks a lot like me unintentionally), no pencil just straight to colour

C+C Welcomed
    Fran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, was good to see you on saturday, even if it was only quite briefly

Your sketchbook looks so much better in person, the inked stuff especially was great, looked printed

Oh yeah, and that last orange one was awesome! I couldnt believe it was markers, ill have to get some of that blender stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, you're improving. I think you should have a play with solid colour-on-colour, without the wisheywashey bits. Maybe have a go on PS or Illustrator, or acrylics without watering them down; draw as you do with brush pen but with bold colours, much like cel-shading. Not saying that what you're doing is bad - just that it might be a nice change and add some edge to what you've got now. I think it could work out well with your style. But like I said, just have a play around, see what you like doing best.

~~Naomi xxx

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fran. Nice to see you updated your work from saturday. I enjoyed meeting you. You seem like a down to earth girl, what ever that means

I really like the portrait, it really has some well studied gradients, maybe deeper range of dark and light, to push it out more. Also gives it Contrast, i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you have been doing quite a bit of portraits lately and that last one looks nice ...

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crush: thanks nice to have met you too

Quicksilver: thanks, and yup its a plan, will have to dig out some acrylics

Cold: thanks

OldNoobie: yeah a couple, i seem to be able to draw them from imagination more than anything else for some reason,Cheers Lee

update:-Not a sketch, and im not sure if im supposed to put this here but i am so ner ner

Todays project was fashion related, i decided to make something from something old, i took an old shirt i never wore because it was too big, and made it into a vest top, the only thing that remained the same on it was the bottom hem and the button holes, the rest i did , and is handstitched as i dont have a sewing machine

aanyway- finishied garment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hey lookin good! Love the little bow on a chain matchin the buttons Cute touch.

Now ya gotta draw a character wearin it hehe. Keep well la fran!

"Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! That last watercolour portrait is great! Nothing smart to say about it, but... oh well
    Keep having fun and progressing

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fran! It was great to meet you last weekend, and thanks for letting me look at your sketchbook. I love the orange watercolour portrait, and yes she does look a bit like you! Watercolour seems to suit you, and it's be fab to see some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging the Portraits. You have interesting looking friends

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketchling: hehe thanks kim yup i should really should i

windmaker: thanks

Poshspice: Cheers

Ped454: hehe ta

Not much to update unfortunatley
    i got one of my drawings printed on a t shirt

And a fineliner portrait- theres a couple of blobby lookng patches of shading, its a bit harder than biro i think, and it being pen, is a little hard to correct. It also looks like i got really lazy with the brim of the hat. most likely because i did...

C+C Welcomed
    Fran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hei nice update ... i see that you are verry sure of your like ... verry nice ilike the wai that you create the characters, a verry good style of drawng hmmm i dont know in my point of view it haves a urban touch but its verry nice tough

keep on postin hope to se you at my SB ... chears

P.S.like the T-shirt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The top and the t-shirt are cool. My flat-mate is constantly making new clothes. A great way to recycle and save some cash. It must be quite a rush to have your own are on a T too.

The black and white half face in #543 looks really good and I love the demon girl in her undies. Sweet stuff.

S

- - (Updated on 1st August 2007)

My MySpace Space

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i want a shirt!! can you buy them anywhere

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really digging the creativity here, loving the clothes and burtonesque characters. Nice eyes going on aswell and mixed media experimentation. Maybe study some underlying structure to better understand some forms though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your latest one, it's so...

I love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your kicking ass girl. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    m0uS3r- Thanks
    Sleepyhead- Cheers, glad you like =]
    28chelseaslater- hey, thanks , im actually gona start looking into selling them, ill post here if i sort anything out =]
    smartkyle- thanks, yeah i need to do a bit more, i start life drawing in my course this year, so hopefully i can get a bit better via that and some more studies
    shpow.Iain- thanks
    Seth1- hehe ta ^__^

Arf i've not posted in ages!
    I started my foundation art course last week, not done much yet, been having to draw the same stuff over ¬__¬
    anyway, heres some crap from the week- i mostly just got fed up drawing the same things so didnt finish them, and didnt put in as much effort, which shows
    Oh, and i had my first ever life drawing lesson last wednesday- heres what i drew ( i made him look younger without realising, and the face isnt quite right...) Also a wonky picture lol

(bad picture quality as its A2- had to take a pic)
    And some skeleton scribblings- very wonky scan! ( the skeleton was wearing a hat )

In the park

Quick Scribbly oil pastel leaf...it has no form...and i dont like oil pastels much lol

brush pen thumbnail

Inky Flowers

And i realise ive left some other stuff in college, ill scan it some other time (you can really see where i was being lazy and just scribbling lol)

Edit: im not supposed to put this here yet! oops! ill post it later on this week

C+C Welcomed
    Fran

Last edited by lefran; October 8th, 2007 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last drawing is really great. for the composition i think you can move the girl more to the center(but not in the center) and separate more the flamingo head from the girl's head. but a really good draw indeed.

i think you can improve the confidence in the strokes in some of your drawings

anyway good works, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool sb.

I noticed you're into fashion which is cool, I always feel like if you get into something like 2d art you should always show interest in other related forms of it so you're learning things that help each other progressively. Now since you are starting a class, (if you didn't already that is) get a second sketchbook for your drawings from classes and have your original sketchbook for just your own private works. Just so you can separate your studies from your fancy fun work :3.

One last thing I'd say is to be as patient as you can be with art, I know drawing the same things over and over and over can become really tedious but, I mean hell, the masters would spend months on 1 piece of artwork and had to break the law to dissect cadavers and learn about human anatomy, now learning anatomy that way is a pain in the ass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dimagyan- thanks, i'll take your comments into consideration for my next alteration of the sketch

kvick- Hey, thanks, yeah i do have a separate sketchbook, most stuff i post here is from that, some is from school, i spend varied amount of time of stuff, it depends how interested i am in what i'm drawing, and the task ive been set if by a teacher, ill spend more if its something ive thought of myself more often than not. Thanks for stopping by

Quick update with a sketch, not finished as you can see but oh well. Its from my class today, was a bit of a do what you like kinda lesson, in the morning i had life drawing again, where we had to draw with our left hand and with a piece of string ( yes very weird, also hard to control lol), and i ended up finger painting ^__^
    Well they were all on A1, so obv i can't scan, but i'll take some photos or something soon

bit fuzzy rendering really

C+C Welcomed
    Fran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On this portrait, yes, the rendering is a little fuzzy but that's just technique and that'll improve in time. I think you should try to be more subtle with your shading... if that makes sense, what I mean is, in the areas that are light try to keep them generally close to the same tones, it looks like on her left cheek you tried to do this but I think it looks a little too dark and the rendering almost gives the look of aging lines :I (and on women you generally want to try and keep the face looking clean) 'nother thing is that her eyes are different sizes, which I understand is a bitch to get symmetrical but eyes are often the focal point of a face so..... yeah you gotta get it right! /nazi >=O. And by now I feel like I'm being nitpickey (if thats how that's spelled >.> ) but don't be afraid to make the whites of the eyes a little darker or the lips lighter, like how her right eye appears as if it was in light yet it's surrounded by shadow and reflected light.

So those were some of the things that I saw which could be improved, basically the best thing to do is more, just do a lot of portraits. Sounds like crappy advice but most skills are just like that sadly. Besides, portraits are a really good way to work on your patience, but don't let it become boring, I'd say the most important thing to drawing or painting is having fun with it, so even if you're copying a photo always feel free to add in things that you think would make it more interesting and fun like a second light source or funny hats :3.

Last edited by Kvick; September 13th, 2007 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the last image; great expression. The eyes are kind of large, but its not terribly distracting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there sweetie I haven't been in here for a long time and you got some nice updates.

The last update of the portrait, looking good but I got 2 things to nitpick her right eye (our left) is bigger than her left and too close to the bridge of the nose. And the second thing is her neck, the side closest to the back should be out more, almost to where the angle of the jaw is. And the other side should be in more.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kvick- thanks yeah i know what you mean, its ages since ive rendered a sketch with a pencil, and the one i was using was a mechnaical pencil but kind of soft, and doesnt keep a point much, so i ended up just making it fuzzy. need some new pencils. As for the reference and sketch thing, i do mostly do that, change it up, i just wantd to see how i could do with the original.
    LauraD- Thanks yeah i have a habit of drawing them too big!
    OldNoobie- yeah i agree, you tend to notice things once theyre scanned for some reason, that you neglect to see when your drawing it

Some life drawing poo- theyre photos coz theyre A1 in size
    these are particularly rubbish but ill update anyway,
    this one is finger painted, its a bit dodgy really lol ( it looks lik ive put the eye right over in the corner which would be really wrong, but i was just blocking in the socket area, and guess i used too much paint there..

This one i had to stand up and draw with string ( yes string lol) and drag and drip paint on there, which was really hard, and not very productive

Heres some more scribbles.
    Green lady- similar to the orange one, but worse in proportion
    Her neck is very skinny, the jawline especially on the right is wrong, her head on her left looks too skinny- the hair doenst look convincing covering it, her left eye is slightly higher and her right is closer to the bridge of the nose, theres opposing light sources according to the glints in the eye, and um yeah loads more lol, i drew the majority without pencil, i just oulined loosly the shapes, so theres more mistakes this way i think, especially since i didnt use a reference

Her pupils, iriss etc are too big

The sketch from earlier-
    i altered the neck a bit, and a little bit to the eyes,theres some awful lines on her arm, and where her eyelashes are on her right eye is way too dark and thick, and this eye is still too big, but i dont want to keep dwelling on one image, so i'll just take my mistakes into consideration for next time- i could keep correcting forever otherwise

little doodle of myself

Not a particularly good update...
    C+C welcomed
    Fran

Last edited by lefran; September 14th, 2007 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have greatly improved from what I have seen throughout your sketchbook. Keep it up, carry your sketchbook with you everywhere you go. Good job.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work as always. i like the simple and clean feel of this one

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/lefran56/247.jpg

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1