draws style option: annoying

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

draws style option: annoying

painter question
    not sure where else to post this...so anyway, I just had a simple question about painter. When I switch between, say rotating the page and using the airbrush, the draw style keeps reverting to straight lines, which is quite annoying. Is there a way to set the default to freehand, so it stays set to freehand.

cheers for any help!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I assume it cant be changed.
    Im surprised actually. I found it a real interference to workflow if I wanted to rotate the canvas frequently, but it looks like Im stuck with that little 'gem'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi kananga,

The default is Freehand.

If you had the Draw Style set to Straight Lines, switched to the Rotate Page tool, then switched to the Brush tool and chose one of the Airbrushes' variants, the Draw Style would still be Straight Lines since you didn't set it back to Freehand.

There should be no reason for Painter to arbitrarily switch from the default Freehand to Straight Lines.

To speed up your motions, try using the following keys:

"E" for Rotate Page

"B" for Freehand painting or drawing

"V" for Straight Lines painting or drawing

To end Straight Lines, just hit the "B" key. To initiate Straight Lines, hit the "V" key.

If you're right handed, all of this can be done with your left hand while your right hand keeps busy doing what it does best.

(I'm using Painter 7 and checked to see if I could reproduce the behavior you described.. and couldn't.)

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks that helps.
    Actually, I realised if I just used space/alt to rotate, it wasnt a problem.
    Some thing I was hoping for was an eraser like photoshops. Is there a way of erasing on a layer, without having to select the eraser from a menu? I cant seem to find an eraser shortcut.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by kananga
    thanks that helps.
    Actually, I realised if I just used space/alt to rotate, it wasnt a problem.
    Some thing I was hoping for was an eraser like photoshops. Is there a way of erasing on a layer, without having to select the eraser from a menu? I cant seem to find an eraser shortcut.

cheers
    Unfortunately, in Painter, the eraser is simply another brush variant, as opposed to Photoshop's seperate tool.

However, if you have a Wacom tablet, you could utilise the 'eraser' end of the stylus by first selecting the eraser variant you want from the brushes palette menu with the eraser end of the stylus. This way, you can toggle between eraser and current brush by inverting your stylus.

Perhaps a preferred method though, is to utilise a custom palette to access your eraser and favorite brush variants etc. Details about creating custom paletts are to be found in the Painter manual or online help file.

David

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.