Anything wrong with this?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anything wrong with this?

Ok, i havent posted this in the finished forum yet, cause im not sure if its finished, to me it is.

But if anyone can see anything seriously wrong with it, please let me know. I was trying something new, and its a study i guess you could say, it took me a while though. I used a ref from fem joy, i zoomed in and cropped the original picture to the desired area - pretty much from the waste up. Then i painted it in my own style, i was experimenting seeing if i could paint this with some colour theory knowledge. And using alot of colour, rather then realistic colour. I usually do landscapes with lots of colour and i thought i would try this.

Anyways, tell me what you think. IF i should do anything else, fix something etc.

Justin.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin, I have been staring at this for about 5 minutes and I am not seeing any real problems with it. Anatony? Check. Compostion (positioning)? Check. The colors choices are comfortable, especially relating to the background. The nostrils seems slightly crooked. And I am not sure if the negative space in the upper right is drawing my eye to it too much or not. I'd say you are going to need to a more professional crit that I can give.

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the way your choice of hues and strokes creates the impression of the light source in motion across the figure, definitely an outdoor light effect imo. however, it seems almost too evenly distributed across the body, weakening somewhat the overall sense of form. not a huge crit, just something i perceived.

regarding the anatomy:
    it's pretty solid, but for me it creates some ambiguity about the view angle and pose. her breasts are definitely responding to gravity as if she's standing, leaning against a wall, but the general composition leads me think it's a reclining figure. i can't resolve easily whether this is a low angle of a standing figure or a view from above of the woman laying down, and there are no cues from the BG. i lean toward the lower angle/standing answer, but that's a somewhat unusual approach for a figure painting (though not for figure photography) so i'm not really sure.

her left nostril (viewer's right) is a bit distorted, the highlight & shadow making it appear slightly larger and positioned slightly lower than that on her right.

given the angle of the head, it seems that maybe her ears need to be treated more evenly, right now they appear as if the head is turned more to her right than it actually is (right ear is hidden more).

cheek bone and jaw structures seem a bit asymmetrical (the left are more prominent in my eyes), same is true for the chest area above the breasts, her left looking as if it protrudes more than her right.

the small "crease stroke" at the elbow joint of her left arm cuts unnaturally across the muscle, and is much too dark. may not even be necessary.

the darker stroke above the outside of her right eye seems out of place, and interferes with the smooth contour you'd expect there.

the asymmetry of the size, position and apparent mass of the breasts isn't overly disturbing (there is lots of natural variation in this regard), but her left seems significantly flatter than her right.

these are very picky observations, overall this is a very good study showing some appealing strong points.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors are definitely original but do not work for me. They give me the impression that she is suffering from some unknown contagiour skin disease.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Though I agree that this is a strong, well-done work, my major criticism is that your strokes are a little too broad and prominent. I can tell what you're going for, and I can tell you I like what you're doing. However, this technique you're employing is far more successful upon the face and neck than it is on the rest of the body, especially the torso. The application of blue and orange jumps to far out at me for my eyes to properly interpret as values. Perhaps a more delicate application is needed.

The orange spots on the upper right arm seem to depress what would otherwise be a round form. the dark spot on the left forearm seems to do the same.

hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    really nice.
    i think id like to see some of the brushstrokes look a bit more like brushstrokes though.

this piece really reminds me of the artist:
    lucian freud
    http://pierre33.canalblog.com/images/freud11.jpg

ive seen him do paintings very much like what you are attempting to do here.
    if you are unfamiliar with his work, i highly recommend it.
    i think you will enjoy it a lot.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She looks like she's got implants. My only real problem with the piece is that many of your value choices of certain colours in the skin make her appear mottled. If you'd rather those colours blend into the skin instead of sit on top as they currently are, I would make them more consistent value. If you make your piece greyscale, you'll see she looks spotty. If you were to even things out somewhat, it might help it. However if you like the patchiness, it's just another aesthetic choice.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, i will keep all of your advice in mind.

DSillustration what did you mean by this:

i think id like to see some of the brush strokes look a bit more like brushstrokes though. What do you mean you want to see them look more like brushstrokes? Like whats a brush stroke look like to you? heh, im a bit confused. Thanks for your compliment! And thanks for the link.

Justin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The asymmetrical cheek bones and chest bother me a little. I love the way you did the color on the face and neck. Your approach seems to differ from the face and neck on the torso and arms. Overall, I really like your approach.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry, double post.

Last edited by morningbloom915; January 19th, 2006 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    overall its good, but the colors seem to be too chunky/ broad. so if you could choose a stroke thatis thinner, or blend the brighter contrasting colors in a bit more. and i a gree with morningbloom, her cheek bones look a bit odd. other than that, anatomy is good, value is good. the background color choice was a good one. keep it up. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    overall its good, but the colors seem to be too chunky/ broad. so if you could choose a stroke thatis thinner, or blend the brighter contrasting colors in a bit more. and i a gree with morningbloom, her cheek bones look a bit odd. other than that, anatomy is good, value is good. the background color choice was a good one. keep it up. =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.