Newbee at oil, need some pointers on my stilllife painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newbee at oil, need some pointers on my stilllife painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newbee at oil, need some pointers on my stilllife painting

Just trying to get started on oil and doing a stilllife painting and I can use all the help I can get.. Dont have a teacher right now so no one to guide me, just have to figure it out myself and hopefully with the help of you guys.. I really want to get into artschool by autumn and need to get a few atleast semigood oilpaintings together to get me in..

well here is my current painting at a really early stage. The things that I'm aware of that is bad is 1. the bottle is to short, the grapes need alot more work to make them pop out and not look like a lump of paint,really having trouble mixing the right color for the background so thats wy it's just shiet right now.. Well hope I can get some pointers here, cheers!:

set up:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to tell from your photo, but I'll try to give a couple pointers. Try to avoid using white as a highlight (and black as a shadow) it will just flatten out your painting and make it uninteresting. Squint your eyes (so the still life looks a bit blurry): what colors and shapes jump out at you? This can help identify major areas of the painting. You can paint these first, then go back through and do detail work later.

Looks like a good start so far... and it's oil, so you can always go back in and play around as much as you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a good start.
    On your grapes go brighter. Your bottle try and add a bit more colour variation. For the size, unless you show the ref pick in your portfolio, no one will know
    I'm going to disagree with bluefooted on the use of black and white paint, just use them sparingly and with maybe a little bit of the background colours mixed in. Some will agree with me on this point, others will totally disagree.
    One thing about oils having been around a long time is there a lot of opinions mixed in with tequnique. As long as it works though just go with whatever.

Mainly, don't try and oil paint on loose paper like that. Get some cheap canvases or some masonite board, paint it with a couple coats of acrylic gesso (sand in between coats) and go from there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Craig D: hey thanks for the tips man.. Actually The black in the first picture is'nt totaly black but mixed with a little bit of the bottles brown in it, should I use the backgrounds blue? ("with maybe a little bit of the background colours mixed in") or is that what you mean, that I should use the brown?
    It actually is cheap canvas.. Have some gesso actually maybe I should have painted that on?

bluefooted: Thanks for the pointers.. Like I said to Craig D I'm using some of the bottles brown in the black but maybe that does'nt show in the photo.. think I will have to go with some black and white for this one but I will definitly try doing one with no black later on..

Well I started it over with your tips in mind and I think the result so far is much better and more lively.. Squinting my eyes sometimes help alot actually, good tip.. So here it is so far..

Trying to get catch the light going through the grapes.. Dont think I have gotten it down very good so far but I will work alot more on the..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hightlights of the grapes are kinda violet. I think a warm light red color will work better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lillith7: Yeah I think you're right.. gonna try it out..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the bottle looks very good! only the bottom gives it away, maybe just work on that a bit more.

do you normally paint in acrylics or is this your first time painting?

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hpslashluvr: I have done a few paintings before.. a couple of life paintings with nude model and one very unserious still life painting and one painting from a photo.. So it's my 5 or 6th painting at all I think and my 3d serious atempt.. Never tried acrylics, maybe I should get some..
    yeah the bottom looks really of, strange thing is that the shadow really makes it look like that.. Dont really know what to do about it, maybe it will be sorted out once I paint the foldings in the cloth ause I think they're the once making it look like that..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.