Sketchbook: Phantom Star's Sketch Book

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Phantom Star's Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Phantom Star's Sketch Book

Hey everyone. My name is Jordan Lopez from Endwell, NY (near Binghamton if you know where that is) and today is my first time posting on concept art. Below are a few hand sketches I have drawn and I'm looking for helpful and insightful tips from people who can help me out a bit. Don't be afraid to hold anything back, if you have something to say, say it. With that, I'll let you guys determine what needs to be done with these. Thanks a million, I hope this is something I'll back on and laugh.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the forums. You'll learn so much here even if you only lurk. The strongest ones are the fist and top left hand on the second page. On the more difficult gestures you're giving too much space between the fingers most noticably at the base. The top left hand has good form around the knuckles but you lose it at the tips of the fingers. I'm hardly a hand expert but those things caught my eye.

Practice is the best thing. Work from reference/your own hands until you can see a gesture in your mind and can put it down on paper. Please post more work when you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start phantom and welcome to CA. Like Mr. Marley said practice, practice and practice some more till your hands fall off. Keep postin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hogarth hands. I always write whether I used ref or not, some people don't though, I'm always curious about that sort of thing. The hand can be split into groups: fingers, palm, thumb ball, pinky ball, carpals, ends of forearm bones. Each finger's got it own distinct look, which I don't see in these drawings, that distinction's not in Hogarth's book though anyway. R.G. Hatton's "Figure Drawing" has a great chapter about the hand.
    I think you should study perspective first, so get Ernest Norling's "Perspective Made Easy". Radu's "Understanding Perspective" is worthwhile too, if you can find it. I assume you want to be able to draw from your head, to do that an understanding of space, form, and movement is neccessary, they're all related, can't have one without the other. Niccolaides "The Natural Way to Draw" is worth a look.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, sorry for not posting in a while, just got back to college and getting myself settled in. As for the comments, thanks a lot, everything you guys said so far have been helpful. I will do my best in the future to post more and hopefully by then you guys can see some kind of improvement. Again, thanks a million!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Hell it's been a while. Just got done with college so hopefully I'll be on a little more. Here are a few quick foreshortning drawings I did a few hours ago.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.