The Binding of Loki

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Binding of Loki

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The Binding of Loki

I am SO not doing this scene justice, but what the hell...

Anyways, doing this for my art history final assignment. I'm going to try to render the piece in a baroque style, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track as far as style goes.

Progress pics:
    The Binding of Loki
    The Binding of Loki

Here's where I'm at:
    The Binding of Loki
    The Binding of Loki

Basically looking for thoughts on style; what to change/keep with regards to lighting, pose, and clothing (which aparently has some bearing on the baroque style)

But, as always, any thoughts/tips/insults are apreciated.

I am open to redoing the entire thing, but I want to finish this one nonetheless.

(A few notes:

- Yes, I know loki's face looks terrible (at least to me). I'm trying to fix it.
    - The sketch is larger, my scanner is tiny. So, yes, the other characters will fit.
    - I am trying to study anatomy, so if there are any glaring inconsistencies please give specific examples.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Baroque style ?

If thats all thesepictures of hell etc .. does that mean strong colours & lively lighting ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohgee
    Baroque style ?

If thats all thesepictures of hell etc .. does that mean strong colours & lively lighting ?
    As far as I know, the baroque style trys to create movement and weight through its use of pose and diagonal lines. It also has a strong emphasis on emotion achieved through very dramatic lighting.

Common pieces were religious in nature, focusing mainly on the crucifixion and the emotions associated with it: fear/hate/despair/pain. Other pieces focused on the opulence surrounding political figures, such as the Sun King. Backgrounds were either highly detailed or completely black, with the shadows of foreground figures melting away into the void.

What I'm hoping is that I can create a piece that is removed from the extravagent surroundings of common baroque art while still keeping the baroque style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The metal eyepatch isn't working. Just show his eye collapsed in or shut.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMech
    The metal eyepatch isn't working. Just show his eye collapsed in or shut.
    That was a problem that I was wrestling with for a while. I've looked at a lot of baroque paintings and though they are sometimes brutal in their depiction of raw emotion, they rarely show any outright violence or gore. Having an open socket may take away from the elegance of the style (and indeed from Odin himself, who I'm trying to depict as a wise and gentle man who has been betrayed, instead of the harsh blood-loving god he's normally seen as.)

I was thinking about having an open socket and changing the dead eye to be his left, so that there wouldn't be the question "is he missing an eye or is that just some shadow?" But, again, I want to hit the style home first so that even if I have to redo this I'll have a proper image of 'baroque' in my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start man. What is the technic you'll use later ? Did you paint it ? Or use some digi ? And just a question, I don't remember exactly: To that point of that story, did Loki have is mouth sewn ? Or is it later ? Just asking.
    Cheers.
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alday.J
    Nice start man. What is the technic you'll use later ? Did you paint it ? Or use some digi ? And just a question, I don't remember exactly: To that point of that story, did Loki have is mouth sewn ? Or is it later ? Just asking.
    Cheers.
    J.
    Oh nuts! I think he did... bah, I'll check later. Won't be too hard to change it if I need to. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Anyways, I'm at a point where I should be focusing on value/shading/rendering etc in pencil before I move on to colour. I'm going to try to keep it in pencil (my art history teacher is allowing us to use any medium) and I'm hoping it won't take away from the 'baroqueness.'

Maybe I'll get back to photoshop and play around with colour, it's not due for a while afterall...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some progression... stupid tiny scanner...

The Binding of Loki
    The Binding of Loki

Also, any tips on how to reduce the 'shade' lines in the black areas (most noticably right above Odin's outstretched arm)?

Members who have read this thread: 1