Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late?

Thanks

Is it too late?

I was pondering to my self last night, thinking im 24 years old now, but I havent broken into the illustration feild yet. Is it too late for me to start? I havent even had any art training yet in school or any instruction in my life.

The only school i can afford is community college which is a good school were I live but will it teach me anything I need to know, and will it be worth the time and money? Plus will my employers laugh in my face when they see what school I went to. And i hear how easy it is to get an A in art classes there.

So am I fucked or what?

This year I will be working on building myself a quality portfolio.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you are fucked im 10 years more fucked than you

Thanks
    Ha, I have been asking myself that ever since I started to draw again and I ask myself this question several times a week. My answer is.. Keep on treking. Do it until it hurts and you just cant any longer or just do it until you realize that your not going to break into the industry and that your going to do it for the love you have for it.. Thats what im doing and I have 2 years on you!

Fellah-your a machine though!!! you draw like rabbits hump!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    all depends on your current skill level. if youre beyond beginner, and seriously pushing the boundaries of intermediate, then sure i think you could be in it with a chance. i think there was a thread here a while ago talking about how employers didnt really give a stuff about your diploma, just whether you could do the job (unless i got that wrong..?)

Fellah-your a machine though!!! you draw like rabbits hump!
    uhh.. in a back and forth motion?

Thanks
    Fellah: okay I dont feel so bad anymore, but u are way ahead of my level.

hrm well i dont think I'm quite ready to break in there yet. I'm sure if I really pulled off some hard work this year and attack the issues i have with drawing.

I tried putting some links in my sig but take a look

oh okay they are up

sketch book is nothing spectacular, work n progress is coming along I just started using my tablet again

Thanks
    I dont see any reason why even being 65 upwards u cant get work if you have the skill level. Maybe just the amount of younger artists coming up seems slightly intimidating? That might be the cause of your worry. But yeah, I believe if you have the raw talent, age shouldn't matter.

Thanks
    Man, I have just checked quickly your SB. And I can tell you that you got skills, no doubts about that. If only you could more focus on finish stuff, even if it's doodles, sketch... Try to work more with composition, interaction between characters and background. That kind of thing. I think you'll learn more if you try to finish or push stuff closer to a finish render.

You know, I'm 27 (soon) and made "only" two posters for 2 theatre troops. two years ago, I can tell you that I asked myself every single day that: "IS-IT-TOO-LAAAAAATE ?"

Just work at your own rythm. Don't give up now or you'll have regrets, I mean, really good reasons to have regrets.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Good point Alday. A tutor of mine once said "Failure is better than regret". Which I try to remember as much as poss.

Thanks
    Kresimir i hear your concerns loud and clear. I just came back to art school and i'm 31. I'm surrounded by kids just out of high school some of which are extremely talented. Then i come in here and see even more talent. Where i sit as far as whether or not i'm intermediate as 'stoph puts it, i don't know. Depends on who you are asking.
    My advice if you love to do art is work at getting better everyday. If you want to go into a specific field start sending submissions. MAny times the art directors will tell you what you need to improve on and if you want to make money from your art "they" are all that really matter. At least then you will know where you stand from a professional point of view and not some fanboy who says "wow your stuff rocks my socks man!" (God i hate deviantart sometimes)

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresimir
    I was pondering to my self last night, thinking im 24 years old now, but I havent broken into the illustration feild yet. Is it too late for me to start? I havent even had any art training yet in school or any instruction in my life.

The only school i can afford is community college which is a good school were I live but will it teach me anything I need to know, and will it be worth the time and money? Plus will my employers laugh in my face when they see what school I went to. And i hear how easy it is to get an A in art classes there.
    I don't care how old you are. If you are determined to succeed at what you want to do you will move heaven & earth to make it happen.

As far as art education, community college art courses are perhaps a half-level above high school art courses and would most likely not prepare you for a professional career. Another alternative would be to find out if any portrait painters or other professional artists in the Chicago area give private or group lessons. It would be cheaper than a college tuition and you will be studying with someone who is in the trenches, earning their living with their art. Start asking around at open life groups, art stores and other places where artists go. Sooner or later you may find an instructor you would want to work with.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    I decided a year and a half ago that I wanted to change careers from computer programmer (what I currently do) to fantasy illustration. I'll be 32 this year.

Don't sweat it.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alday.J
    Man, I have just checked quickly your SB. And I can tell you that you got skills, no doubts about that. If only you could more focus on finish stuff, even if it's doodles, sketch... Try to work more with composition, interaction between characters and background. That kind of thing. I think you'll learn more if you try to finish or push stuff closer to a finish render.

You know, I'm 27 (soon) and made "only" two posters for 2 theatre troops. two years ago, I can tell you that I asked myself every single day that: "IS-IT-TOO-LAAAAAATE ?"

Just work at your own rythm. Don't give up now or you'll have regrets, I mean, really good reasons to have regrets.
    Thanks for boost! I do agree that making stuff more complete is somewhere i need to work on. Composition is also another thing which im very uneducated in, i guess that will be the hardest thing to learn especially on my own, but I've looked more deeply into pieces in classical and more current periods, especially around here. This place has been an awesome place to learn. Maybe if someone started a composition activity thread, an area i think that I think would be helpful to the community.

Figure2: That is a great idea! why didnt i think of that before.

Thanks
    Remember reading about a guy on www.cardesignnews.com.

He is based in Europe, I beleive in Germany, has no formal training and was working a fairly average office job I beleive. Apparently he used to draw when he was younger and kept on doodling. Then started to get back into the drawing properly, took some advice from websites and then sent out his portfolio. Last I read he was working for a company designing bodywork components. He was 27 at the time, this was about a year ago.

Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.