Is it too late?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is it too late?

I was pondering to my self last night, thinking im 24 years old now, but I havent broken into the illustration feild yet. Is it too late for me to start? I havent even had any art training yet in school or any instruction in my life.

The only school i can afford is community college which is a good school were I live but will it teach me anything I need to know, and will it be worth the time and money? Plus will my employers laugh in my face when they see what school I went to. And i hear how easy it is to get an A in art classes there.

So am I fucked or what?

This year I will be working on building myself a quality portfolio.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are fucked im 10 years more fucked than you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, I have been asking myself that ever since I started to draw again and I ask myself this question several times a week. My answer is.. Keep on treking. Do it until it hurts and you just cant any longer or just do it until you realize that your not going to break into the industry and that your going to do it for the love you have for it.. Thats what im doing and I have 2 years on you!

Fellah-your a machine though!!! you draw like rabbits hump!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    all depends on your current skill level. if youre beyond beginner, and seriously pushing the boundaries of intermediate, then sure i think you could be in it with a chance. i think there was a thread here a while ago talking about how employers didnt really give a stuff about your diploma, just whether you could do the job (unless i got that wrong..?)

Fellah-your a machine though!!! you draw like rabbits hump!
    uhh.. in a back and forth motion?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fellah: okay I dont feel so bad anymore, but u are way ahead of my level.

hrm well i dont think I'm quite ready to break in there yet. I'm sure if I really pulled off some hard work this year and attack the issues i have with drawing.

I tried putting some links in my sig but take a look

oh okay they are up

sketch book is nothing spectacular, work n progress is coming along I just started using my tablet again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont see any reason why even being 65 upwards u cant get work if you have the skill level. Maybe just the amount of younger artists coming up seems slightly intimidating? That might be the cause of your worry. But yeah, I believe if you have the raw talent, age shouldn't matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I have just checked quickly your SB. And I can tell you that you got skills, no doubts about that. If only you could more focus on finish stuff, even if it's doodles, sketch... Try to work more with composition, interaction between characters and background. That kind of thing. I think you'll learn more if you try to finish or push stuff closer to a finish render.

You know, I'm 27 (soon) and made "only" two posters for 2 theatre troops. two years ago, I can tell you that I asked myself every single day that: "IS-IT-TOO-LAAAAAATE ?"

Just work at your own rythm. Don't give up now or you'll have regrets, I mean, really good reasons to have regrets.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point Alday. A tutor of mine once said "Failure is better than regret". Which I try to remember as much as poss.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kresimir i hear your concerns loud and clear. I just came back to art school and i'm 31. I'm surrounded by kids just out of high school some of which are extremely talented. Then i come in here and see even more talent. Where i sit as far as whether or not i'm intermediate as 'stoph puts it, i don't know. Depends on who you are asking.
    My advice if you love to do art is work at getting better everyday. If you want to go into a specific field start sending submissions. MAny times the art directors will tell you what you need to improve on and if you want to make money from your art "they" are all that really matter. At least then you will know where you stand from a professional point of view and not some fanboy who says "wow your stuff rocks my socks man!" (God i hate deviantart sometimes)

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kresimir
    I was pondering to my self last night, thinking im 24 years old now, but I havent broken into the illustration feild yet. Is it too late for me to start? I havent even had any art training yet in school or any instruction in my life.

The only school i can afford is community college which is a good school were I live but will it teach me anything I need to know, and will it be worth the time and money? Plus will my employers laugh in my face when they see what school I went to. And i hear how easy it is to get an A in art classes there.
    I don't care how old you are. If you are determined to succeed at what you want to do you will move heaven & earth to make it happen.

As far as art education, community college art courses are perhaps a half-level above high school art courses and would most likely not prepare you for a professional career. Another alternative would be to find out if any portrait painters or other professional artists in the Chicago area give private or group lessons. It would be cheaper than a college tuition and you will be studying with someone who is in the trenches, earning their living with their art. Start asking around at open life groups, art stores and other places where artists go. Sooner or later you may find an instructor you would want to work with.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided a year and a half ago that I wanted to change careers from computer programmer (what I currently do) to fantasy illustration. I'll be 32 this year.

Don't sweat it.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alday.J
    Man, I have just checked quickly your SB. And I can tell you that you got skills, no doubts about that. If only you could more focus on finish stuff, even if it's doodles, sketch... Try to work more with composition, interaction between characters and background. That kind of thing. I think you'll learn more if you try to finish or push stuff closer to a finish render.

You know, I'm 27 (soon) and made "only" two posters for 2 theatre troops. two years ago, I can tell you that I asked myself every single day that: "IS-IT-TOO-LAAAAAATE ?"

Just work at your own rythm. Don't give up now or you'll have regrets, I mean, really good reasons to have regrets.
    Thanks for boost! I do agree that making stuff more complete is somewhere i need to work on. Composition is also another thing which im very uneducated in, i guess that will be the hardest thing to learn especially on my own, but I've looked more deeply into pieces in classical and more current periods, especially around here. This place has been an awesome place to learn. Maybe if someone started a composition activity thread, an area i think that I think would be helpful to the community.

Figure2: That is a great idea! why didnt i think of that before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember reading about a guy on www.cardesignnews.com.

He is based in Europe, I beleive in Germany, has no formal training and was working a fairly average office job I beleive. Apparently he used to draw when he was younger and kept on doodling. Then started to get back into the drawing properly, took some advice from websites and then sent out his portfolio. Last I read he was working for a company designing bodywork components. He was 27 at the time, this was about a year ago.

Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,671 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of the great things about illustration is that it's all about the portfolio. When you're freelancing there's almost never any in-person contact, so it doesn't matter if you're old, young, male, female, tall, short, etc.

Rather than community college, I'd see what's available from your local art schools on a class by class basis. Most art schools have a continuing ed department outside of any degree program, and not-for-credit classes are much cheaper.

SVA used to have a subway poster that said, "at age 34, Paul Gauguin worked at a bank. It's never too late."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am constantly made grateful...lol!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    24 isn't old dude. Don't think too much about not having enough time to grow. Simply enjoy what you wish to do and make a wholehearted attempt to have fun and improve.

If you're concerned about not being able to attain the level of skills some of the artists here exhibit, I can only say there are superstars in every industry while the vast majority will be doing "normal" stuff to get by. It'll all work out when you find the groove you fit into.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah man. Go for it...if you really really want it - do it
    I think Jon Foster just posted something in his recent thread that he really didn't get started until 33. I don't know if when he started his education though.

I'm 28 with a kid, so look who's crazy now!?!??

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, Im 28 this year and just getting my life sorted.
    It has also cost me a coupla thousand pounds, blood, sweat and tears to realise and work out finally what direction I need to go in.
    I am now in no hurry for my pursuits. They will come to me if I am patient and work very hard. Many pros will tell you that their professional career didnt pick up until they were in there 30's. Some sooner, but I guess thats just life.

Learn to draw, work hard on it, and have fun on the way...
    Goodluck fella...

Mollyx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    37, 3 pre-teen children and just starting to build for a career. Yeah, I'd say you have time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its never to late.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I saw a news bit awhile back about some guy who lived in New York that decided to become a painter when he was in his 60s, and I assume that he did ok being as they were running a news story on him. So by those standards you've got, like, 40 years.

I remember some people I went to school with who were well over 50, retired doctors and such. If you will it, dude, it is no dream

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you really want to get into illustration it shouldn't matter how old you are. As for getting education: the only person who's really going to teach you is yourself. Maybe you could get into some classes to get you pointing in the right direction, but i believe you'll learn the majority of what you need to know through your own research. And hanging around this place'll probably help out a lot too. It sure is helping me nowadays.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't believe at what an uplift this was just reading everyones thoughts. It's so true that you are never too old; sometimes it's good to have that reinforcement, though.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my position is similar to yours, im 24 as well. i dont think you have to worry too much about it being too late, if you think about it we still have about 40 years of working life left.

myself i came by this path by chance really. i went to university aged 18 and did a degree in biomedical science. after the first year i realised it wasnt what i wanted to do, i didn't quit just because i couldnt come up with anything better to do. after i graduated i didnt want to apply for jobs in the science industry and i had a lot of time on my hands. i started drawing just for fun, only an hour a day or so. after a while i found ca, and realised it isn't beyond whats possible. ive been taking art seriously for about 2 years now. im applying to go back to university starting september doing illustration.

of course i could end up graduating again and becoming a overqualified shopworker, but at least i tried.

theres plenty of artist who sttarted late. one of britains most successful painters - jack vettriano didnt start his career till his thirties and his paintings sell for hundereds of thousands of pounds - link http://www.chelmerfineart.com/biography.asp?a=2938

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    24? Lol, you're my age, don't sweat it, just bust your ass and you'll be in there no time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Not Have Time To Read Posts But Can Say Work Hard And You Can Fly!!!! Listen To Magic Man!!! Amazing Art!!!! Art!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if you think about it we still have about 40 years of working life left
    didn't you get the memo? artists don't retire at 65, we go until our bodies fail (ie. die) on us. Hopefully you've got plenty more than 40 years. Especially what with modern medicine and all.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my god I don't even know who to thank first. Thank you all for your replies and encouragement, i feel the fuzziness growing inside

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too right kresimir. Now its time to start some serious drawing ;P Good luck man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kian3001
    Too right kresimir. Now its time to start some serious drawing ;P Good luck man
    Like Kian 3001 said ! All I want see from you now is STUFF !
    Keep posting massively, dude !
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.