IDW006: Alien Habitation Suit

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Topic: Alien Habitation Suit.

Description: In the year 2007, an alien biped(2 legged) species will venture to earth to expand communication with other civilizations. The aliens trade vast amounts resources and knowledge in trade for labor and production of suits that will protect them for the diseases and corrupt humanity has left on earth.

NASA, CNSA and NATO took responsiblity for manufactoring the suits for the aliens in thousands.

Your Job: Design a suit that would aid the alien's. The design should use earth's materials, aswell as ALIEN UNIQUE materials.

Deadline: Jan 27th Midnightish, Polls & New topics will only be given if there are at LEAST 10 entries.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think im going to do this
    Im surprised that this ID thread isnt as active as the others
    Its too awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It'll take time. I guess most people aren't warmed up enough to ID yet but yea it'll come around as more people get confident and interested. I'll see if I can motivate some of the lurkers into this one.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New IDW!! Woohoo!

But 10 entries? Don't you think that's a little overly optimistic? After all, you only got ONE last time (and EOW didn't even reach ten this week). Maybe you could drop the bar down to 5 or something? And just give the IDW time to catch on...?

Honestly, I think stating that there will be no vote or new topic unless there are ten entries acts as a deterrent to participation. A 'competition' that may or may not have a conclusion naturally gets a marked as a low priority.

No vote is fine, but if a topic doesn't stir up the collective imagination punishing us by not giving us a different topic isn't going to help increase participation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second Panagos' thought on this.
    Sure, it's sad to see that this section doesn't have lots of action, but forcing things isn't the best to do, better let it go by itself. Gotta say that the last ones were not really attractive.. at least to me. Some seemed very interesting though, but I wasn't aware that this section existed when you posted them.

Anyway, I'm in. Haven't drawn for way too much time.. and this one caught my eyes. Damn, 2 weeks.. I should be enough to do something interesting, well, at least with a good rendering.

So, the alien can be anything? Or the usual green guy the size of a kid with a big head and big eyes (I'm going with this one anyway)?
    Just to know what kind of thing we might use/see.
    It could be a bit more challenging/interesting to create a suit based on a specific creature other than, simply, a biped one. No ?

Last question, what is CNSA and NATO ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hopefully I will have time to do this one.

I have an opinion on the limited success of this thread. its just an opinion mind you, and I was thankful the thread even existed, and surely hope it continues.

If you look at the first couple, there was actually a decent qty of peeps working stuff. But I think a couple things happened.

one is, the polls came in much later than the deadlines, so some folks were like, where is the poll? if that was what was driving them , then it was what it was. You can see there is only a poll for the first one, after that things started to die out. After its starts to die out, less people visit and try cause there is less to see.

Then came that a couple where more enviroments, then it got almost dead, as seen by the last IDW.

I know Davi doesn't care for the poll, I dont know if that is what is driving the lack of interest or not, but the lack of participants, has led me to be around less. I think this next one is a good topic and most likely will have success, IF folk realize its here and going on.

Personally, i havent done to many, not only because I'm not really that good, I didnt care about that. I was hoping not only to simply practice, but get some good feedback on how to be better. There are a few that did spend the time doing that, but not many. so as the group got smaller, I didnt really get any feedback, so it wasnt helping me either. So I slackened. Hopefully I can use this one to climb back into it.

I really do hope this thread succeeds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's not be too bothered by the poll or whatever and just post up work.

@Althael- NATO means North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, but I believe Davi might have been referring to ESA - European Space Agency rather than NATO. CNSA I'm guessing would be China's National Space Administration. Check both out on Google.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Let's not be too bothered by the poll or whatever and just post up work.

@Althael- NATO means North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, but I believe Davi might have been referring to ESA - European Space Agency rather than NATO. CNSA I'm guessing would be China's National Space Administration. Check both out on Google.
    I agree, I just think it did make a difference as it was a little confusing. didnt bother me any. I just got busy over the hoidays.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nato's got the cash and power of the world, as well as military technologies to make the production happen, the others have the space technologies and research.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Notes: The IASRA(International Association of Alien & Space Research Alliance), came up with a form-fitting suit with replaceable substance-batteries, that will fuel the alien suit with everything needed to allow the alien's to surviving for extended peroids on earth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Rookie's Submission

Hey guys,

So I'm still pretty much a newbie to this site, but I had a little time to brush up on the skills again. I haven't busted out the markers in almost 6 months, and I figured I was long since due for a tune up. I appreciate any feedback, and look forward to posting more soon!

_ Coming from a smaller world than our own, the alien species needed help adjusting the immense gravity of Earth. The suit was designed to decrease the effects of gravitational pull, both for walking and for using their "arms". With a built-in nitrogen regulator and a universal translation device, the aliens were finally prepared to safely the newly discovered planet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick 20min sketch as a placeholder... final piece will come before dateline hopefully.

sketch
    w.i.p.

rough notes...

- the original planet of the E.T.s was a high gravity environment resulting in the squat powerfully built body structures.

- eyes like humans, frontal facing, and capable of viewing the normal spectrum. Lot's of glass incorporated into the upper suit, allowing good visibility since the suit is for long term use. Russian functional philosophy toned down by "teddy bear" silhoutte encouraged by the Americans to give the E.T.s a friendlier look.

- immune to earth pathogens which were not evolved to infect them, all they required was an oxygen "enhancer" of alien origin, housed in a back carried "life support" pod. Incredibly higher UV radiation on earth requires a complete suit though.

- long since adapted to an upright stance, with their front limbs atrophying due to centuries of their high tech society, two manipulators were designed into the suit. Extendable "stilts" were also incorporated into the design, allowing the shorter E.T.s to see their human counterparts "eye to eye".

- chinese agency still trying to incorporate an undetectable remotely detonated microton nuke. E.T.s already comfortable with "Big Brother", the remote "health" monitoring system developed by the americans.

Last edited by machzero; January 21st, 2006 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IDW #006: Alien Habitation Suit.

"The Tam-Tak-oog-nam, from planet Umar 3-446 needed
    a suit that would protect it from earth`s unsuitable harsh environment while providing it with proper "oxygen" (the Yan-sak gas..).
    we were able to produce this gas out of earth`s well common CO2 through a special Umarian device we ultimately located in the suit`s mid section.
    the suit itslef on all its parts is made out of a uniqe alloy concocted from several earth and Umar metals.
    because of the devastating effect of earth`s gravitation pull on the TTON muscle structure we had to build the suit with strong biomechanical limbs which
    worked out preety well for the little guys."

-Dr. mike ulrich , NASA.

Last edited by Chuck,mate.; February 9th, 2006 at 05:39 AM.
    We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work so far everyone!
    id also add, like someone said around, that having a gallery with the past winners (or at least some!) could attract more artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chuck.. I think thats the best I have seen you do.. Man you are really banging them out now... although the suit is very simple, its painted extremely well.. althought the background kinda takes away from the main character..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick throw-together. Apologies in advance for the quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vigostar
    chuck.. I think thats the best I have seen you do.. Man you are really banging them out now... although the suit is very simple, its painted extremely well.. althought the background kinda takes away from the main character..
    thanks man.
    unfortunately i`m not much of an industrial designer...
    (or an environment designer or a creature/character designer..)
    so i compensate with good artwork.
    the BG is too much, i agree. i just can`t find the time to fix it.. hope no one`ll notice..

-Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like doing some of these weeklies... So here's some thumbnails, I figure I should figure out what the alien looks like first.

My plan is to have it be an animal with Plant cells, a Living plant. It absorbs CO2, and emits oxygen (Which is one reason We were so willing to build suits for them). It runs on Solar power. The creature inside gets part of the sunlight for It's Photosynthetic processes. This suit will probably designed for underwater use as well. I want to maximize mobility, nothing clunky or decorative. Something that would really be built in these circumstances.

Here are some thumb sketches of what different aliens could look like... Gotta go to bed now, hope I can finish this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it's about time I did a weekly activity. I might work on this a bit more but I doubt it.

The Bluebacks are the first non-hostile aliens to have contacted the humans. In the interest of both gaining new allies and sharing technology to repair the damaged Earth the Bluebacks and humans have started diplomatic talks. Unfortunately for the Bluebacks, the oxygen and pollutants of the Earth irritate their skin and mucus membranes. Because of this most meetings are held in climate controlled buildings filled with inert nitrogen. The humans attending these meetings bring their own oxygen in breathing tanks.

The Bluebacks do not take well to confinement though, and to please the newcomers NASA, CNSA, and NATO were commissioned to create a suit for them to travel outside. Based mostly on human spacesuits the Blueback suit is a positively pressurized envelope that contains dampened nitrogen, similar to the Blueback homeworld. The suit also contains heating and cooling equipment, though they generally do not need it. The Bluebacks also helped create a translation device that measures the bioluminescent pulses they use to communicate and translates it into human speech. Also influenced by Blueback technology is the massive H.U.D. (the black canopy) that converts human speech into pulses of light.

EDIT: Ahhh! I can't believe I forgot it was 2006! Please ignore the year, I did do it last week but forgot to change my signature.

Last edited by staylor; February 2nd, 2006 at 09:37 PM.
    FASTIDIOUS SKETCHFIENDS of the FANTASTIC FOURTEENTH ESCHELON
    staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nasa's first attempt at creating a suit for our visitors was a bit uncomfortable, and apparently too large. The aliens were far too excited about exploring our planet to bother requesting any changes made. The fingertips on the gloves had special receivers implanted on them so the aliens can "feel" their surroundings as if they were touching things with their bare hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if this will work or not... I haven't posted picturs on forums before this. I will fix it if not. I can use a bigger image too, I wasn't sure how small to make it to fit. This makes 10 I hope.

Austonian Kneebok Hazard Suit

Manufactured on Earth as it has one of the few factories able to test the suits limits underwater. The Kneebok are an amphibious race that need to be around water. Earth is one of the few habitable planets capable of supporting their unique physiology, and manufacturing their hazard suits.

Their wings rather than carrying them through the air for travel, are for underwater travel. Their suits requiring a force shield to protect uncovered areas, also allow the diversion of energy through the gauntlets for energy bursts and act as weapons, and cutting tools.

Grappling claws allow easier land travel, and a secondary defense against enemies as well.

Last edited by ToxicDustbunny; January 28th, 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alien Habitation Suit

Sorry for the lateness, got stuck out of town.
    Anyway, I stuck with your basic run-of-the-mill big eyed alien.
    The idea being that due to the fact that we had to build so many suits we would use off the shelf tech and upgrade them with new alien power cores for extended life support and mobility augmentation.
    This is a wip but it will have to do for now. I am trying to get away from coloring in the lines and instead actually paint something.
    Thanks!
    -kuda

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...iensuit_4b.jpgIDW006: Alien Habitation Suit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1hour idea sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving your sketch rawwad! really fun fresh and original - plus it looks like hes got a smiley face on, which cheered me up no end!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this activity seems to have no one to take care of it.
    the deadline is way past due, there are more than
    10 entries (sort of..), and yet there`s no change, no poll, no new round, no nothing.
    if there are some sort of problems or technical difficulties i understand.
    if not- and i don`t want to sound niggling-
    but: what gives?

Last edited by Chuck,mate.; February 5th, 2006 at 04:25 AM.
    -Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree... is this getting taken to poll? Or could we get another new topic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    machzero, your design is very original although i think it should have two arms. Good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    change the modera- COUGHH!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1