Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 13: Coastal Trading Outpost

E.O.W. - #013: Coastal Trading Outpost

Round #013

Topic:
    Coastal Trading Outpost

You MUST include a description or backstory this round, or your image wont be taken to poll. Good luck!

Deadline:
    Friday, 20th January 2006 6PM GMT

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great! Will get on to it as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the idea, I'm working on it right now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds difficult, but i'm on it. I allready started to do the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Porun Jaad

my first E.O.W.

[story:]
    Porun Jaad is Glaonia's best place to trade goods to gold and wise versa. Long bridge takes travellers to an inn where they can rest if there are free rooms to rent. It's said that Porun Jaad is safe place for sailors and travellers - though the pirates attacked there four months ago. Since that, there have been seven armed men guarding the place at the night time.

yeah, it's bad english

Last edited by Waho; January 15th, 2006 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice theme, if i got the time i'll do one for this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progress 1

Progress 2

Freynor "Hagscow" Harbor

Once the busy and prosperous commercial hub of the Ferreutian island chain, this skyport has since been afflicted with a state of financial and physical ruin in the aftermath of the government upheaval on the main island and the subsequent move of primary trading routes. Its degrading pilings and rusted cargo rails have seen countless efforts at refurbishment, but none such attempts have brought it back to its former glory. It's simply taken longer to completely erode.

Built into the mouth of an intercoastal canyon, the port remains as an interim haven for smugglers and pirates and anyone else brave enough to trust this crumbling anchorage.

Detail:

(Wacom, many hours)

Last edited by Corrick; January 18th, 2006 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The trading centre of Salishnaram is a small outpost of the Randamas empire of Maldishna. The centre, though small, has a busy cloth and food market and is the main market for many small towns and villages of the outer Randamas empire. There is one small temple to the trade god, Groudum, but most prefer to spend their time getting a good price on barrels of wine.

Last edited by Amerasu; January 20th, 2006 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final

"The Mushroom Towers" is a social, bussines and entertainment centre of Our planet. The most famous people are meeting there.
    I was enthusiastic when I was entrusted with becoming a Master of security. However my enthusiasm didnīt last long, till the time...

Last edited by smot; January 20th, 2006 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in! This will be my first activity entry, and really first environment. Should be fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Outpost with No Name...

a favorite spot for tourists in the far reaches of the Salton Sea. Hostles are a commonly built on top of bustling shops for the convienvience of visitors. Everthing is built within the natural rock face to better protect against high tides and the rancorous smell of the seasonal fishkill.

(yeah, i'm pickin on a real place this time...)

Last edited by llothcat; January 18th, 2006 at 10:54 PM.
    I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iím in,

My progress so far

Iíll try and spend more than 5 minutes on my story this time too.

| Myspace | FLICKR The hype is real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hurry kids

nice entries btw

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll try to participate too, this is my WIP, all done in photoshop.

This trading post is mostly frequented by pirates. They come here to get technical assistance for their boats and also to trade the goods obtained in their activities.

EDIT:
    Hi, this is the last day and I won't be able to work more on this, so I guess this will be final . I'll understand if its disqualified since it is final, anyway it was good enough to put me a couple of hour painting in photoshop.

Noche, thanks. I hope thats not sarcastic because I used that filter. I know many people consider it a bad thing and I used it because it was only supposed to be a WIP and I was going to paint more. Anyway I liked it better with that filter than without, because it was looking to artificial/plastic and this filter gave it a rougher edge and darker colour. Now, I was going to keep it that way and paint a little more over it to "correct" the filter look but I won't have neither time nor a computer with photoshop.

There are already some nice works, Corricks's is looking great and the one from Hurricane has a nice style as usual.

Last edited by voraz; January 20th, 2006 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, you got that poster edges feel pretty good

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The third outpost of the Osaldarin is a wealthy one, on the verge of becoming a smaller town.
    This outpost serves as a guiding beacon for the trade routes as well as a marketplace.
    They say that a pitcher of Osaldarin mead will make you invinsible for a hour, or was it drunk?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJ÷RN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Planet Bob is a mining planet and also a water planet with few outcrops of land. The mine worker with little spare time to fly off planet trade there minerals at these small trading posts. The trading posts themselves are crude as they are build from the scrape of the mining rigs. Women beer and gambling can be had there of course, something for the miners to spend there hard earn cash on.

Last edited by Mitze; January 19th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one björn! like the angle, nice water too.

this is my WIP, I'll post the backstory when it's finished:

Last edited by Stahr; January 20th, 2006 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of nice work going on in here.
    My computer is broke so I may not get mine submitted before the deadline

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the waystation
    just of the coast of Alaska this gargantuan facility was built to transport goods between Russia and North America using zero friction locamotives.

Last edited by Noiram; January 20th, 2006 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just trying to finish mine up. 6 pm GMT is 1 pm EST? I hope..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The outpost x-14 y7 in the Derren coast.

After the conquest of Millin region, the holy emperor Xu ordered to set up trading outposts along the Derren coast of Millin region.

The purpose of the order was to prevent the coastal fishers and merchants from rebelling as well as to build incomes for the rebuilding of Millin region.

The outposts also serve as military buildings, to keep an eye on the locals and find information of the rebels among citizen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great imagintive entries this far

Curious to see the results failoniir, the mood looks great. Also, nice work Hurricane, great mood and colors but the outpost might have a bit too much size

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the final version:

Haven of the Veris Tribe

the last haven for the Veris tribe. The only surviving settlement in the area, and depending on every ship that cross it's way through the archipelago, the beacons leading the ships on the right course through the mist, delivering the one thing, the only thing that Veris tribe strive after, huge batteries of electrical power. A trader could make a fortune, because of the payment, the precious archipelago pearl, in which a mysterious power dwells.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Towers of the Phizios Sea are well know on the planet Bunero 12. Water Towers number 3 thru 7 descend deep into the ocean, giving visitors either a view of the sea life or view of the surface depending on where they are in the towers. Flourishing with merchants who sell, buy, and trade during the day, the outpost is only a 15 minute trolly ride from the metropolis Oniz, or a 20 minute underground train ride from the military compound. As evening approaches, as seen here, merchants have begun to pack their belongings away and lock up the stores. As shoppers and sellers head home, the lights come on and the outpost becomes the center of night entertainment for the locals, the military personel stationed nearby, and visitors from far away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    noice work, time to hustle bizatches if there are any more entries to come in

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the final version:

The Northern poplaskin shipping outpost.

500 years after the war, civilization has rebuilt itself. The republic of Poplaski is the only remaining territory that has yet to surrender to the NWG (new world government). A monk watches over the port from a snow-covered monastery, he keeps watch for pirates or NWG ships and enjoys a beautiful sunset.

| Myspace | FLICKR The hype is real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zulu-08

Build in 2022 on the shores of Western Samoa, this trading outpost has remained one of the few places that hasn't fallen victim to the infamous Jighwa pirates... (what a crap)

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waho: That looks like a place I would love to visit. Wish there were a few boats floating around in that nice looking water. Good job!

Corrick: I love your colors, great airship! Nice rendering, good idea.

Amerasu: Love the Arabian influence in the buildings and the bright colors. This is actually what I thought of the first time I saw the topic. Looks like a fun place.

Smot: Oooh futuristic mushroom sci-fi stuff! Love it, one crit if I may, I think the two mushroom shapes are a little off from each other. I assume they were meant to be the same, maybe a bit better perspective? I dont know. Still like it though.

Llothcat: I like the nightscene a lot. I actually pulled the planet I had in my picture out and replaced it with the mountains cause you had a similar moon / planet in your piece. I'm kinda glad though my moon wasnt working out anyway. Yours looks better.

Voraz: I like your composition. Wish you had more time to work on the piece, I wold like to see how far you could take it. Good job with what you did though.

Hurricane: One of my favorites, love the mood and I absolutely love your water. Not sure I like the actual buildings too much, but that's just me. I have seen other work you have done, and I aspire to get to your level of painting skills.

Mitze: great job capturing the shot and feel of the ship coming in. I also love your water. Women, beer, and gambling- that got my attention! (Dont tell the wife, lol).

Failoniir: The more I look at it the more I like it. That quick looking painterly style is something I need to get better at. You got the idea across and the piece looks like you did it effortlessly. Just thinking out loud here, so to say. Good job.

Noiram: I wish you had included one of those locomotives somehow in the picture. I think more definition of the actual structure near the water would have helped a lot. More detail I think.

Sept13: Damn you! Your rendering is great. I like the whole thing, and I think you have my vote! Excellent job, (insert clapping here).

Artiphats: Hey thats me! OK mine sux, please give me crits guys, I plan to make EOW a part of my life from this point on and really want to improve from week to week.

tagHeuer: Best rendering I think, looks very clean, nice colors and I like the composition. I like yours about as much as Sept13's.

Hideyoshi: What a beautiful view! Reminds me of a battleship / carrier or something. Glad those pirates havent gotten it yet! lol. Loooking at your picture I am jealous of the angle you choose, good job!

Great pieces guys, all are very inspirational in one way or another and I hope next week will be just as fun and challenging for me.

Note: Edited to include a few I missed.
    Did I miss anyone else? Hope not, good luck to everyone, see you next week!

Last edited by artiphats; January 21st, 2006 at 03:01 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.