Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Making your mind work for you; Neuroscience, Drugs and the Occult

I've recently been researching alot of Psychology, neuroscience, the occult and symbolism, and "trying to get inside my own head" so to speak, which as an aspiring artist I believe is very important to me, the better I can understand the way I work, the better I can "gear" myself to what I want to do. Other than that lots of my art is inspired by the idea of "self-control" and like many occultists (though I dont claim to be an occultist myself) I have ways of visuallising and thinking that help "my mind work for me" instead of "me working for my mind".

I'd like to keep this thread as formal as possible, please respond with only well thought-out answers.

Of course everyone has their own methods of making their mind work for them, rather than letting their emotions rule their mind. The occult, Satanists, Freemasons, the Illuminati, Magick, Aliester Crowly fans often use symbols and rituals to help their members gain better insight into themself. (please do not post conspiracy theories here or suggest that any of these groups are "evil" keep those opinions to thyself). Then theres NLP (Neuro-Linguistic-Programming), Self-Hypnosis, general psychology and parapsychology.

I've found with my own personal drug experiments that amphetimines seem to make it very easy to draw because they increase Dopamine, the desire chemical "I've got to finish this drawing/I've got to do a drawing", whilst MDMA/Extacy which increases Seratonin really doesn't do alot me alot of help in the drawing aspect, it makes me very Poetic but doesn't drive that feeling to draw. Its a very very very hard task, but basicly what I'm trying to achieve is a rough ability to recognise my own neurochemical levels and then alter it in ways to help me in my goals. For example 15 minutes ago I felt like I didn't want to draw, I managed to recognise that my Serotonin Levels where slightly to low, the answer was as simple as Sugerwater, and Increasing adrenalin levels can be as simple as a VERY VERY VERY spicy (chilli) water. I may increase my Dopamine levels by drinking coffee. I can alter the frequency of my mind through music. I can stimulate different modes of neurochemical creation by many rituals, playing computer games even helps so to does the power of belief alone.

Drawing for example is an "In-time" exercise, meaning I cant draw and think about what I'm going to do tomorow or draw and think about what I'm going to get a girl for her birthday. Which means I must have a reasonable level of serotonin to help me quite the chattering mind. It takes alot of research to achieve a state where any of this information is usefull and alot of lateral thinking to make use of concepts. But theres alot of very good artists on this forum and without a doubt alot of intelligent souls. I'll post more later, but it appears that now since I have reached a desired state of mind for drawing, thats what I'm going to do.

-Articles

1. http://www.enotalone.com/article/4114.html - Heres a few interesting articles on the main neurotransmitters
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine - Wikipedia - Dopamine
    3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin - wikipedia - Serotonin
    4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occult - Occult
    5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick - Magick
    6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley -Aleister Crowley

Make your mind work for you, you are a machine, tune thyself for desired performance - Daz

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Eliminate Anxiety and Shame, and you're all set.

I find people try to manipulate your anxiety and shame in order to play power trips on you.....if you don't let those emotions rule you, then you're less likely to become reactionary.

Drugs should only be used as needed. Recreational drugs usually highten your anxiety and shame, so use them as little as possible.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Experimenting with drugs in order to see how they affect you is akin to experimenting with drowning to see how it feels to have water filling your lungs. If you're going to do either, it's best to do it in a controlled setting with a professional to rescue you. Having a "recreational drug-user" sister whose children now have no mother, I caution against drug use.

It is terribly important to know how your brain operates, but it's far more relevant to see how it operates in its normal state. The mind is complicated enough without constantly changing the variables (and the constants with any sort of prolonged drug use).

Without getting into a long diatribe, I will only say that drugs are bad (think "lens flare on a pencil sketch").

Thanks
    Yes Eliminate Anxiety and Shame is certainly the main goal, but one needs a decent moral backing.

Dont blame others for you problems, even if they created your problems, you still have to fix your own problems. Wasting time complaining/crying about a weather damaged house does not help you rebuild it. Self-Control means Self-Responsibility.

Thanks
    interesting topic. I'm not to condone the use of any drugs even though I play with them every once in a while but, I think what your doing is what several artists have done is to tap into a conscience state where your mind and body are reacting on more primative self-being. Things like this have been going on for centuries where witch doctors use different types of mind altering drugs to tap into the life support of the earth and themselves. Like the father of LSD said, "there aresome many things that we as humans will never see" because we arenot physically able to in a regular mind state. Certain doors have to be opened and I believe that only those whom have been "enlightened" are able to open those doors without use of chemicals. its interesting when you said about amphetimines and I believe its very true. i had a similar experience very recently. Although I had this sort of want to draw it was extremely difficult for me to do a simple line drawing. My hand eye cooridnation was actually pretty acurate. I was even able to draw with my opposite hand and fee like I was in control. Everything seemed logical, focus was in abundance. I felt like I was able to draw with my eyes closed and see exactly what I was doing. Im going to post my works of my last session. anyways... Like I said Im not condoning these actions Im just stating my piece.

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Seems to me that you aren't really trying to make your mind work for you, you're just trying to ply your mind with drugs in hopes of achieving certain effects.

What about self discipline? If you want to make your mind work for you, then control it yourself. If you want to draw, then take control and force yourself to do it. Then you've really accomplished something, instead of cheating your brain into it.

It's like photosourcing. Maybe it looks good, but you've taken something else in order to complete your picture, instead of putting in the work and learning how to do it yourself. And when you need a nice pic, but have no photos, you're fucked. Learn how to do it without external aids though, and you're set no matter what.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I thought you already found The Secret To Drawing?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    dfacto- easier said then done. and unless you can devote your time to meditation, thinking and reading will you ever acheive what mind altering drugs do to you. Im not saying that you cannot be a fantastic artists without them, because obviously there are tons of fantastic artists out there and are not under the influence what Im saying is that theres ways to perceive life in a truely "different view" and im not talking about logic or theology, Im talking about seing it physically, mentally, and spiritually all at once in a way you could never imagine. my GF is reading a book on the Dali Lama and we just finished watching a movie called Kundun which was very interesting. Monks like the dali lama although theres no other like the dali lama (if you believe in that spirituality) are able to think in the purest of ways. They see all the complexies of life in the simplest forms and yet when they speak its like trying to digest a cow all at once. its a completely way of thinking, of being. But monks like that meditate for like 5-8 hours per day. which doesnt leave much time for drawing.

elwell- who was that comment for?

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vigostar
    elwell- who was that comment for?
    It was a question for Daz. Go here.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    ahh, i see.. funny this guy... I think he's "experimenting" waaaay too much these days!

SketchBook

Thanks
    This isn't a "Do you take drugs" and I dont really want to hear peoples opinions on so called "drugs". As mentioned in my post I used suger-water to help my body increase serotonin level and I often use chilli to increase my adrenalin levels and I may use coffee as an amphetamine, these are hardly HARDCORE DRUGS. Yes I do take recreational drugs, but that is not the focus of the thread.

Self-Disciplin is absolutally crutial, but I'm not going to sit here and type that. If you want to increase you self-disciplin then i would advise that you take up some form of martial art as martial arts and other basic exercises help stimulate the cerebellum which plays a very large part in self control and both physical and mental balance.

I do know the secret to drawing. Once you know the secret to drawing you know the secret to drawing. Believe. (do not go over this again). In essance knowing the secret to drawing is the exact opposite to the people who say "I cant draw".

It's like photosourcing. Maybe it looks good, but you've taken something else in order to complete your picture, instead of putting in the work and learning how to do it yourself. And when you need a nice pic, but have no photos, you're fucked. Learn how to do it without external aids though, and you're set no matter what
    If you dont have food you die, I'm hardly suggesting that people go out and try anything that would force them to change their belief system, only strengthen it and utilize it to achieve inner change. Things as simple as chocolate, caffeen, chilli and natural herbs can change your neurochemical levels and you must exersize self-disciplin, motivation ect... We all know that, this is not the Deviantart forum, this is a forum for serious minded individuals, not teenage goths who want to complain about their parents.

We all have times when we dont feel like drawing and no matter what we do the drawings "wont work", what I am proposing is that these moments of "not feeling like drawing" are moments where our brain is not properly stocked with the correct neurochemicals to help us achieve our goals. Many artists go for walks to stimulate the mind and help produce the correct chemicals, but we also need to make sure that our brain has all the vitamins it needs to produce these chemicals. Many artists take amphetimens to help manipulate dopamine (please read article about effects of dopamine) and guess what dopamine largelly deals with? Motivation, Desire, Self-Disciplin.

Once we achieve a knowledge base where we can quite accuratly guess what our mind needs to achieve the state we want, we then can head towards that with the appropriate action. Sometimes we have all the vitamins and nutrients our body/brain needs to create the chemicals that stimulate the correct neurons that we use when we draw, but we simply need to take control of ourselves and get into the correct state. Sometimes I draw a symbol at the bottom right hand corner of the page I am drawing, when I cant think what to draw I run my finger around it in a circular motion, the ritual of this itself keeps my brain "in-time" and focused on that which infront of me and stops me from wondering off into thought, so it usually doesn't take to long before I'm drawing again. Other times if I feel slightly unconfortable drawing at a location (eg. Train Station) so I write at the top of the page "I cant really not draw". Believe. I have magic powers, I am the joker I may play any card, I know the secret to drawing, I think therefore I am.

Thanks
    way to overly complicate something

you should make infomercials.

Thanks
    dfacto- easier said then done. and unless you can devote your time to meditation, thinking and reading
    Thats why I my TV remains unplugged, for what its worth I'm not on drugs at the moment, I've smoked alot of marijuana in my life, it helped me confront many of my inner demons, I've taken MDMA twice, done speed a few times and only ever took 2 LSD trips in one week of my life. Drugs do not make you a better artist, an open wide perspective and an inquisitive nature of the world you live in may make you a better artist. If drugs happen to be part of your wide-open perspective then so be it, but drugs alone without creativity do nothing. Its like saying does becomming a buhdist make you a better artist? No it doesn't, but if becomming a buhdist makes you open your mind and perspective to life, then perhaps becomming a buhdist made you a better artist. Its a personal thing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1