Thanks

resting your arms on a tablet?

I noticed alot of people have their tablet right under their keyboard. Do you rest your arms on your tablet when you are using the keyboard normaly? Wouldn't that damage the tablet?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    sometimes i rest my hands on the lower edge. the plactic is pretty hard so i wouldnt worry.

Thanks
    Yeh its just a hastle to move the tablet everytime. But my elbows are super pointy so I am worried about doing damage to it. I dont want to damage the surface, should I be worried about it? Is it super fragile?

Thanks
    I put my food trays on it when I eat. The 3 year old tablet works just fine.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    The surface of mine starts to be scratched, from the friction with the pen since I don't put my hands on it. The matte finish is coming off and the texture underneath is different, pretty annoying. But they do sell plastic covers as spare parts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    unless your forearms are 300lbs and smell like an urangutang's last deposit (dont ask my why the smell would matter.. but if they do have that smell, see a doctor), i wouldnt worry about damaging your tablet. if im not painting ill move it under my desk, where it survives off of the warmth of my subwoofer. mmm.. so yeah, on a slightly related note, do people find they have wear on their stylus after a while? the tip, i mean. oh, and am i the only one that has the habit of chewing on the eraser end? i rarely use it, just find it easier to switch tools with the pen end.

Thanks
    man, i swiped my hand over my tablet the other day and it went freakin haywire!!! really.. it kept on scrolling when i put the cursor over the page.. very annoying.. i had to shut restart my computer..
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qitsune
    The matte finish is coming off and the texture underneath is different, pretty annoying. But they do sell plastic covers as spare parts.
    You know that bowling ball polish works to keep it in shape. its not the fountain of youth but it will prolong its life

Thanks
    i always rest my arms on the tablet...as i do right now when typing this...i did it since 5 years on 3 different tablets now and no one was scratched or damaged...just be sure not to wear your chain mail when doing this...

And by the way the thing which annoys me most is:

ON THE INTUOS 3 I ALWAYS ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE HOT KEY STRAPS ON THE SIDE AND THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

...and this is why i turned them off in the options...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    And by the way the thing which annoys me most is:

ON THE INTUOS 3 I ALWAYS ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE HOT KEY STRAPS ON THE SIDE AND THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! I got an intuos 3 since a good month and I've got
    exactly the same problem !
    Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    The tablet itself isn't pressure sensitive, the pen is. Mine's covered by a fairly thick layer of plastic.
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    You guys don't like the hotkeys? I use mine all the time. I love not having to use my keyboard and set the thing down.

Thanks
    i like to use hotkeys, but i am used to have my tablet in front of the keyboard, that's the easiest way to switch from typing and drawing...for me the hot key straps are disturbing...

Thanks
    arms Not Good As You Are. Arms Not Important. Ony Intricacies Of The Human Form Important!!!
    Last edited by Fozzybar; January 14th, 2006 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks
    I recently got my wacom tablet and I would like to know, if you put your hands on the tablet while drawing.

I am used to put my drawing-hand slightly on the paper while drawing to get a more accurate line.

I don't do it with my tablet, because I am feared of damaging it with the sweat of my hand(well I do not sweat very much, but I see the stains on the tablet when holding it into the sun.^^).

Have I to learn doing accurate lines with my hands in the air?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    iON THE INTUOS 3 I ALWAYS ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE HOT KEY STRAPS ON THE SIDE AND THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

Yup, turned off it is in my case.....though I don´t get that problem anymore when i activate it by just placing my tablet in 45 degrees ........complicated procedure that involves a piece of wood, some nails and a piece of floam....

Is 100 times better, and you won´t have to worry about resting your arms on top of your tablet, or getting food spilled on it.....or that damn hot key strap.

Thanks
    Sweat will not damage the surface of the tablet, unless you sweat into a glass and then pour it into the hot keys...that would suck.

When using the tablet to draw, I usually rest part of my hand, so I got one of those very thin and light, white cotton photo gloves and cut of the thumb and two fingers, so my hand will glide smothly across the surface of the tablet
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    i rest my drawing hand on a piece of hankerchief, my other hand will be on the keyboard. did that after certain areas started feeling less smooth than others. i assume it's all the dried up sweat and dead skin.

Thanks
    I kick back in my chair, and work with the tablet on my lap. When not in use I set it off to the side, and out of the way.

Thanks
    I have had arm problems over the year due to computer work. I use to have my drawing tablet on my lap as I worked and started to notice a pain moving up my arm to under my armpit, didn't feel good.

I started to see a physical therapist. She said I was in really good shape, this would of happened long ago. My age and profession was catching up to me. I needed to strenghten my arms, shoulder, and upper back. She gave me many new exersises. I also worked with ergonomic people who set to up with biofeedback to see what might work better.

I now work using a arm rest. It's really nice. See : http://www.morencyrest.com

resting your arms on a tablet?

~M