online art classes?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

online art classes?

hey everyone,

i'm looking into taking some of the online illustration classes at the Academy of Art. do any of you have any experience or feedback about these classes, or any other similar ones?

i'm kind of wary about the whole idea, but it seems to work at some non-art schools.

thanks in advance,
    ~ l

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I just applied to the Art Institute Online, so I guess I'll have some feedback in about 7 weeks - (classes start in 2 weeks, and last 5.5 weeks). I'm either starting in a perspective class or a color theory class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can get some online instruction from Glen Vilppu as well.

http://www.vilppustudio.com/

Also check out his books and DvD's. His classes helped me see drawing in a whole new way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi all.. just wanna ask.. how do u study art classes online? I did have the thought of taking the online classes.. but i feel that the need to interact, the need to feel, the need to see, the need to be there to learn...

Please give me your feedback cos if i were to take up the online classes... it would definatley save a bomb..

thanks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi all.. just wanna ask.. how do u study art classes online? I did have the thought of taking the online classes.. but i feel that the need to interact, the need to feel, the need to see, the need to be there to learn...

Please give me your feedback cos if i were to take up the online classes... it would definatley save a bomb..
    No I dont think you would save a bomb, actually. My Perspective class is running me about 1700 bux. The clases are over 300 dollars per unit. So far it's cool, finishing up the first week of assignments, nothing difficult so far but I know that will change. I think if I have time, I'm gonna end up taking some night classes at Art Center just to be around other artists.

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question guys , are there any online classes for comic book drawing?
    And what all do I need to tighten up to make good comic book art other than the usual anatomy and perspective and life drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AAU Online

I've been lurking for the last couple months and this is my first post.

In answer to your question about AAU online, I'm currently in my second term with them online. To be honest I didn't have high expectations going in, and I probably had the same reservations about an online art education as you do now.

I was surprised to discover the online program is pretty complex. Each class has a web page. each web page contains a syllabus and an asynchronous discussion board like the one were' on now.

The syllabus is broken down Modules for each week that contains the weeks lessons and reference links and materials. This format is great, because most of the time you don't have to take notes. You can just go back to the module.

The discussion board, again is like this one. You post your assignments, as well as discussion topics there. You can also exchange posts with your class mates and intsructor in both a Student and Instructor lounge.

The final structural element to the class, are the multimedia discs they send you prior to the class start date. They typically contain streaming video files, that would be too much of a hassle to download. For example, in my "Analysis of Form" class last year, the discs contained realplayer and quicktime videos, of the instructor performing projects which illustrated the priciples of light and shadow. Or in my current "Figure Drawing" class, the discs contained videos of my instructors illustrating the principles of gesture and form. Because were not in a studio setting., you can't really draw from life. No model... To compensate, the disc has a a rotating, 360, quicktime, male and female nude model. I've found it adequate so far in both comprehension and articualtion of the lessons. I'm learning. Another example would be my "History of Animation" Course. The discs contain all the animation studies/cartoons were going over this term. I wish I didn't have to take that class, but its been very informative. Its a history class after all.

Again, I think the AAU Online Program is pretty complex. The most important thing is that you learn. That said there are some drawbacks. The most obvious is that your not in the studio. You don't get the same attention from your instructors and fellow student as you would on campus. There's less of an immersion factor. The program attempts to compensate with a public discussion board format, but its not the same.

It all comes down to how motivated and interested you and your classmates are in the subject. Luckily, I've had some pretty cool classmates and instructors who, like this website keep me inspired. You get what you put into it.

Another drawback has to do with relationships. You can't network like you could on campus. I'm going for BFA in Computer Animation and Visual Effects, so at some point I'm going to start looking for internships. Also, like any industry, the more people you know, the more links to potential jobs you have. Its one of many reasons I'm not performing the entire BFA program online. I'm taking summer classes on campus this year, and I plan on finishing my final 2 years on campus too. My student advisor thinks this is the best strategy.

Someone posted that the cost per credit is $300. I'm paying $550 per credit hour without financial aid. I dont think they distinguish state residence online. $550 per credit hour for everyone. It's cost prohibitive, but if you can afford it knock yourself out. Again I think the program is awesome, but just like any academic endeavor you need the right attitude. You get what you put in.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. I'll post again if I think of anything else.

Last edited by Path Of Flowers; March 24th, 2006 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really need help with my artwork but due to limitations being able to make it into a College/University on time everytime would be a larger problem than completing the actual workload (I had to be homeschooled throughout High School because of that).

I'm seriously considering some type of instruction online or by correspondence but I'd like to hear some more feedback (opinions, firsthand experiences) so I can make an informed decision on it. What I really need is to start from the basics and work up from that. I can draw right now but only if I have a reference for everything involved, literally. I didn't learn to draw by using basic shapes as a guide, and I'd like to start from the very bottom rung and work my way up from there to get these art foundations.

I'm not worried so much about getting a degree as I am just learning how to draw the right way, like Glenn Vilppu's lessons Verannis mentioned. If anyone can give some additional feedback on the topic I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 1