Sketchbook: The Sketchbook of 'Wowo- (2/4/07) ~FINAL ART DUMP~, College Paintings, Fanarts, etc.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Sketchbook of 'Wowo- (2/4/07) ~FINAL ART DUMP~, College Paintings, Fanarts, etc.

Hello there, I suppose a brief introduction is in hand. I've been drawing, like everyone here, almost all my life, copying pictures of DBZ and Pokemon in my junior high years. I didn't seriously start to draw until around 10th grade high school, where I started trying to draw pictures without reference. I took several art classes the following two years, which has all led me up to where I am now.

Currently I am enrolled at CSU Long Beach for Illustration. I want to be... well, a concept artist, and I figured what better way than to start here. I kind of always considered sketchbooks to be personal things; I dont generally let friends flip through them, but I've gotten to the point where I would like some feedback as to where I should be taking my art. At first I thought this board would be waaay too out of my league, but looking around more it looks like it's for anybody who is dedicated enough to get better. I hope I'll fit in ok.

Also, as you might be able to tell, I'm looking for a... style to call my own. I started out drawing horrible anime, and then moved onto more traditional art with figure drawing and still lives, but for my sketchbook, I'm really hoping I can find my own style.

So anyway, I hope you all enjoy, and please don't hesitate to respond with comments/opinions/critiques/whatever. Thanks a bunch, CA!

Here's some oldish stuff (by old I mean fall 2005)

The Sketchbook of 'Wowo- (2/4/07) ~FINAL ART DUMP~, College Paintings, Fanarts, etc.

Some style searching-

Sword poses (with ref)-

Female body (w/o ref)-

(with ref)-

More style searching, this is supposed to be Samwell from A Song of Ice and Fire-
    (for some reason I'm terrible at drawing a profile of a face I've drawn and retaining the likeness. This is something I hope to work on.)

These were done while watching LotR: The Two Towers, so they're heavily influenced by that-

Then, these were done while watching The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-

(this one could've came out so much better... the likeness just isn't quite there.)

(this was a quickie, I was too engaged by the end to finish it up more)

Then, the last one for now, and most recent (done yesterday)-
    For some reason I decided to give it the hair of Ed from Cowboy Bebop.

I suppose that's enough for now. I'm hoping this sketchbook will get me to draw more, as I feel like I'm not drawing enough. So, I hope this is a good start, wish me luck!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Joshawowo; February 5th, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yikes, only 9 views. This board sure moves fast. Anyway, I thought I'd post this up. It's something I've been working on recently.

It's supposed to be Jon and Samwell from A Game of Thrones. I haven't viewed much ASoIaF art, so I'm not sure if my characters remotely resemble the general consensus of what they look like. Anyway, here's the digital coloring that I've begun.

This is hugely an experimental piece. I don't have much experience in digital coloring, but would like to learn the trait. I certainly don't have my method down, but it's something I'm trying to develope. I had a background planned, but when I sketched it out, it really didn't look right. And for now, I might as well keep it simple and just learn how to render a character.

Any crits on this piece would be nice. It's not ready for the WIP section yet at all, and I plan on changing Sam's color schemes around quite a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I see some really good sketches here! You do indeed seem influenced by anime and manga, and I think you have developed that style well. At the same time, you draw many realistic looking characters as well, and my favourite is the guy with moustache and cowboyhat. I think that if you like to draw anime like characters, you can do both that and realistic. That's what I do, though I stick most to the realistic ones. Keep experimenting with drawing, and your style will come naturally.
    The only thing I wish to say in adition to this, is that the mouths on some of the characters seem twisted. Be careful how you draw mouths and grins. The two that I am talking about are drawing nr. 2 and nr. 13.
    For the coloured piece, I read that you are still quite new to the digital colouring part. Personally, I never found it a good method to colour the whole character with such a high opacity first, like you did on the one to the right. I sketch up the lines first, and then paint with opacity set to 2 or 4 (very low). Usually I paint the dark areas first, and then the highlight. Afterwards I work with blending the colours more together. When you blend, make sure not to wipe away all contrasts and edges between the separate colour areas, like you did here. Remember that in real life, some shadows on for example clothes doesn't blend into the rest. Ok ok, I am so bad at explaining... If you can read the gist of this, then lucky you.
    Keep drawing, it will get you far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comment! My first one I agree that my style is influenced by anime and manga, however I wouldn't say that "I draw anime." Because when I hear people say this, I believe this means they found an anime style they like, and are copying it, which I don't want to do. I'm very influenced by the style of Kentaro Miura's "Berserk", but I dont want to draw exactly like him. Anyway... I'm still looking for exactly what would define my style.

By the way, I'm afraid I did "Angel Eyes" (the cowboy) no justice. He looks too nice in my picture, rather than menacing. I appreciate the comment, though

Regarding the photoshop pic: I definitely see what you mean about aplying paint gradually rather than full opacity right at the beginning... something I'll consider for future efforts. The only thing is, for this picture I dont want outlines at all (I'm not sure if thats what you were implying).By the way, I have the line art over it, I just removed it for the sake of this picture. I like line quality well enough, contour lines and all, but for this particular piece I would rather have the characters fully rendered. It's something kinda new for me... so yeah, its an experiment.

My main struggle with getting used to digital painting is brushes, and how the tablet affects them. I get confused when I should be turning down opacity, or flow, or use a soft brush instead of a hard... I haven't even tried any textured brushes yet. Anyway, it's a learning experience, and the help is greatly appreciated. I've been looking through many helpful tutorials on this site and others, and I'm starting to get the gist of things. Thanks again for your comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your pencil work. Some good solid forms appearing here and there. I can only wonder what you'd be able to do with a greater value range.

I applied to Long Beach recently... not sure if I'll get to transfer in though. I've heard their program is awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, welcome to CA and good start on the SB. It's good seeing you do a variety of life studies/imagination/ref'd sketches. And there's no need to be intimidated, everyone's here to learn no matter the skill level. And style will just come in time, a lot of it is just natural progression. So keep it up man, cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't need to show the lines in the finished work, just use them as guidance in the start. I suppose that's what you do, too. What I mean is that when you have added the different colours, blend the outlines into them. Ok ok, never mind. You seem to be experimenting a lot. Keep going. If you have the chance, try Painter! I find that it's better suited for digital painting than Photoshop, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there and welcome. I have to agree with heychief with the value range. It seems that you have your lines pretty well in place. My suggestion is that you should start studying about shading. You are off to a good "start" here. I'll keep following your progres.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyChief- Thanks. Its true, and I didn't realize it until now, but I dont shade enough in my sketchbook. My next update may have a few things, though.

JaneM- I see what you're saying, thanks for the tips. I've never thought of blending in the outlines. Oh, and I'd love to try Painter, but I dont have it. Maybe I could... get it... somehow. I'd love to try it to see which suits me better, I've seen spectacular work with either program.

Placeboast- Hi there, thanks. I'm planning on updating here pretty soon, probably with stuff from my figure drawing class.

My DeviantArt Page

My Sketchbook (Discontinued, please view DeviantArt page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops, sorry Zord, forgot to respond. Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement!

Here's some stuff I did last semester in my Life Drawing class. By the way, I forgot to point out that this is my first year at CSULB, so basically this has been my only college art course so far. I had a thread in the Fine Arts and Studies forum for this, but I figured it'd be ok to post 'em again.

A few still lifes (sorry for the horrid cropping)-

Some portraits-

Hand Studies-

2 hour pose, contour lines-

2 day pose, charcoal pencil and vine charcoal-

2 day pose, pencil-

Master Copy, charcoal pencil-

3 day pose, black and white conte on colored paper-

2, 1 hour poses-

Extra Credit assignment (as recommended by the anime otaku's in my class.) Take the pose and draw it in a different style. So yeah, more style searching basically-

2 day pose, charcoal pencil. I was going to do a background, but the model didn't show up on the third day she was scheduled.-

Mmk, that's most of the stuff from my class. I passed it, yay. Hopefully I can get a few more sketches up today.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update, tried to include some ammount of shading. Sorry for the poor scan quality... not sure what happened:

Some random insanity, lots of different "styles"-

Female anatomy studies w/o reference-
    Ouch, this made me realize I'm going to need to do some more studying. I dont know what I was thinking with the hand-stand pose, but it feels way off. I still can't get something as simple as a walking pose (top left) right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

And yeah, critiques on the shading would be nice, too. It doesn't help that the scanner butchered my hatching even further, haha.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have some nice life drawings, i especially like the one on coloured paper done with conte.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great bunch of studies! I think my favourite is the gollum study. Brilliant posing in that one.

Erilaz

Books of love:
    RebeccaK bumskee dirty_c Iconophobian Steph Laberis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments.

Quick update:

Decided to play with foreshortening a bit. A very anime style with very Motoko (GitS) hair (though its not supposed to be her)-

Looking at the concept art of Gollum the Art of The Two Towers made me realize how fun it is to draw gangly creatures, so I decided to do more Gollum-esque things.-

So, I was gonna do more, but then I got a sudden burst of inspiration to color the bikini chick... In a style I've never tried before, but I'm gonna go for it. I'll be back when I'm done (if it doesn't fail miserably).

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, now this was fun.

So, like I said, this is someone else's style of coloring that I wanted to try. I dont actually know his name... the sight was all in Japanese, but the domain was Falcoon so I'm going to call him that. Anyway, I did him absolutely NO justice, but it was fun to try anyway. Let me know what you think, and let me know what anatomy is off/what needs work.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, its interesting how your opinion on a picture can change so much after just a few days. After receiving generally negative comments towards the picture above on another message board, I've come to realize it wasn't quite as nifty as I once thought it was. Many people complained of the thigh being too big, meaning my attempts and foreshortening failed miserably. Another complaint was the face.. meaning my style needs a lot of work.

Anyway, I'm trying to wash the bad taste out of my mouth by getting some more sketches in...

So I was watching the Colbert Report a few days ago, when I realized I'd never done a Caricature before. So I decided to try one of Colbert, it came out like this.

Then it dawned on me, I dont know anything about Caricatures! To me it looks more like a very warped portrait than a caricature. The likeness is a bit there, but he looks a bit too Clark Kent-ish in my opinion.

So... I didn't draw anything yesterday, and today I attempted to do another caricature/portrait, but failed miserably. Then tried to do some regular 'ol sketches, but still couldn't produce anything worthwhile. So unless I have a change of mood, I am officially declaring today an "off day."

Oh well, we all have them, right? Hehe. As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your life studies man, post more if you have. Your Colbert is good but you should play on how one of his ears is flush on his head and the other pokes out. The hair is spot on though. You should be proud, you've come a long way from DBZ.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MrBobMarley- Thanks for the comment. I agree that life studies are my strong side, probably because It's the only thing I've had any formal training in. What bums me out is... I really want to create more things from my head. Oh well, this is what the sketchbook is for i guess, to develop that side.

I don't really have any more life studies (well, a few, but they aren't as good. I posted up basically the only good ones). However, I guess I can post these up. Here is my Self Portrait Progression in the past few years:

Fall 2003 (First drawing of my first high school art class):

Spring 2004 (The last drawing of the same art class):

Early 2005 (I hate this thing, but it was basically my first attempts at a monochromatic piece):

August 2005 (One of the first assignments for my college art class):

October 2005 (Midterm for the same class):

December 2005 (Final for the class):

I have earlier stuff, but really, the first picture there shows how bad I was just a few years ago. Some people hate looking at their old stuff, but I enjoy looking at these as a reminder that I am indeed improving, and that I should continue to do so. Hope you enjoy.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's cool to see some more shading in your sketchs, but I think that was a separate issue from the lack of contrast. However, using shading can easily allow you to kick up the contrast in your sketches. I just meant you needed a greater range of dark to light values to make your sketches pop out. Just some ideas to experiment with.

Your series of portraits is very inspirational. I always like seeing progression in a person's work. I really like that monochromatic piece that you don't seem to care for, though I think it suffers from a similar lack of contrast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyChief- I see what you mean. You know, browsing through a lot of sketchbooks here, I see people whose pages look like they have a certain unity to them. When I do a page of sketches... they tend to look like a bunch of heads or bodies, seperate from eachother. I don't quite know if this is what you meant, but even if I shade them, it doesn't bring much interest to the page... something I want to work on. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll plan on trying to kick up the contrast to make my pages more interesting.

Another day wasted yesterday, but I'm going to try to make up for that today. I'm planning on doing several study pages. I'll post some as soon as I have something to show.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, small update. Smaller than I thought at least.

Thought I'd warm up with some random insanity (no ref):
    It's a bit too sketchy for its own good, in my opinion. Also... I suck at profiles... I don't know why.

Then I was inspired by a fellow CA sketchbooker to do some portraits. Here are some various celebrities.
    I guess... if you recognize them, I did a good job?

Note to self: Stop using a dull pencil

Note to scanner: Stop butchering my pictures more than they already are

Note to self: Don't blame the scanner for poor linework.

C&C as always. I'll try to update every day this week, if possible.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A kind of pathetic update today...

I thought I'd have more to show, but I suppose I've been slacking off. So here it is:

A quick fanart done after playing Panzer Dragoon Orta. I love the character design of Orta, and the whole game for that matter. I didn't completely capture her likeness.

A quick pose/anatomy study. No ref. I think its rather off... and a bit unbalanced.

A quick (quick, that seems to be the word of the week) armor study without ref. I lack creativity in armor design, but I think first I need to establish the concept of armor construction and functionality. I think I'm going to do some reference studying.

I might get something done today, but don't hold your breath. School starts next week, but hopefully that won't slow me down. If anything, I hope it'll get me drawing even more.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I found these in my file, thought I'd post them up here. These were done a few months ago, when I started try to get used to painting in photoshop. Both of them are copies of screenshots of movies, each done in about 15-25 minutes.

I really need to do more of these. That ASoIaF photoshop pic I've been working on is pretty much dead. Partially because I still haven't quite figured out this "digital painting" thing, and partially because the colors turned out all wrong. It's.... really not even worth finishing at this point. Next time I color something, I'm going to think of a more definitive light source, and... just... plan it out better.

Quick question, I've seen a lot of tutorials/walkthroughs showing a painting drawn completely in black and white, and then the color is added later using Hue/Saturation. Is this how most people work? I've never tried this, though I might.

Also, this might be a matter of preference, but how many layers should I be using? Several years ago, when I was horribly coloring pictures on PS, I would put every small detail on a different layer. Not knowing if thats what I should've been doing, I attempted the ASoIaF pic with 3 layers, one for the background, and one for each of the characters. I... dont know if this is right. Anyway, some pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work !

I think you should do some anatomy practice (so you can back up observation with knowledge), other than that I really like the variety you've got in here.

See ya !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick Update:

Haven't done much these past few days. I think being at the end of my vacation has made me just want to relax and not do much, rather than make good use of my free time. I don't entirely regret it though. Once school starts, I expect to get back into the grind of things and fill more pages in my SB. Consider this the calm before the storm... I think.

No ref sketchin':

Ok, here's a picture I know I'm going to hate in a few hours. In fact, I think I hate it already. I had some left over canson paper and conte from my art class, so I doodled this out. (no ref, as you can probably see):

Yeah, I think I don't like it already. Thought I'd post it up anyway.

By the way, thanks NightVision for your comments. I agree that I really need to do more anatomy studies. I think I've been telling myself that... which makes this update kind of embarassing. But... I will start doing some, soon.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not embarrasing at all, those are pretty f***ing good for no reference !

The hair is very nice on the last one, but the proportions are a bit 'elf-like': small nose, big eyes ... some parts also lack definition (like the nose), maybe you could touch up with dark and bring the facial structure a bit more out (mirror or photo can help).

Later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, back again.

First week of college has come and gone. Back for the weekend, so I've scanned a few things. Actually, to be honest, these are only things I've done this weekend. Starting off a new sketchbook too. Haven't gotten around to do anymore reference anatomy studies, hopefully next week. So here we go.

Quick fanart done after watching the ending of Samurai Champloo (great stuff):

Inspired by MGS's Yoji Shinkawa, it's not supposed to be Snake per say, and I never quick decided whether he's wearing clothes or not:

Some random faces, mostly cartoony. With director's commentary!:

Wanted to try drawing a young person, not something I usually try. I think somethings a bit off, but I can't tell quite what:

Next week I may bring a digital camera or a scanner, but otherwise I'll have to wait until Friday to scan anything else, assuming I have something by then.

My art classes seem interesting enough, so I'll probably be able to post some things from school once we get started.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agh, I'm so mad...

I forgot my sketchbook back at the dorms. Which means A. I can't scan what I drew this week. B. I won't be able to doodle anything this weekend. and C. I won't be able to work on my art projects that I was planning on doing. I'm planning on bringing a digital camera back with me to the dorm on sunday, so perhaps I'll be able to snap a few pictures next week to keep this page updated. I refuse to let this sketchbook die, ever.

What I CAN show you however is something I did last night with my tablet. Here's a few progress shots of a Band of Brothers poster I copied.

Keep in mind, I looked over the "killing.lesson (photoshop)" tutorial in the Fine Arts, Studies, and Discovery forum, but well... I'll talk about it later. This was about 25 minutes in

Then I went over it with a textured brush, something I haven't tried before. This is about 45 minutes in

Then here's as far as it is, doubt I'll work on it anymore. I'd rather get some advice on this one, and give another picture a shot. This was done in a little over an hour.

So, I'll be honest here. I'm not quite sure I "get it" yet. The whole painting digitally thing. I'm looking at several tutorials, paying attention to them closely, but I can't quite catch on. What am I doing wrong?

The killing.lesson tutorial suggested lowering just your opacity level, and basically not using your pressure options. I did just this in the top picture, but it looks... wrong. Very unlike the examples that he gave, which had more of a smoothness to them. I must be missing something, or just flat out am not doing something right.

Secondly, was the textured brush a good way to go? I just picked out one of the random brushes that was already in there, rather than make my own one, but I guess it worked. Often I'll be looking at peoples artwork being critiqued on this forum, and people will point out if the texture of the piece is too apparent, or looks obvious. Basically, I'm gathering that too much texture can be gimmicky. What the general consensus about this?

I would really like some feedback on this piece, since I really do want to learn to paint digitally. I may have to head into some other forums and threads here, but any feedback here would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, finally an update. I've got a digital camera here at the dorms now, and though that means my pictures won't be as high of quality as if they were scanned, I'll be able to update more frequently now. Heres a few sketches, but mostly school stuff (which I suppose is still ok to post here).

A few gestures/sketches while waiting for class to start (and a few in class):

Some work done for my Foundation Two-Dimensional Class:

My first project for Foundation Three-Dimensional. Assignment was to build a fantastical structure with two decks of cards and tape:

I don't really like it, but I got an A-, so I can't complain

Then I tried to do some Photoshop sketching last night, something I've literally never done. I enjoy it, and didn't think it was as hard as I thought it was going to be.

I had an idea for an illustration. I started sketching it, but then it turned into this which was totally different.

But then I had a better idea, and changed it to this, a quick fun Shadow of the Colossus fanart. I might want to work with this and go further.

So yeah, thats it for now. Comments and Critiques are always appreciated. Any advice about the photoshop stuff would be great, too.

My DeviantArt Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update today. Did some sketches last night.

Creepy middle aged men in blue ink:

I think this is... Kevin Spacey meets The Joker, done in charcoal pencil (which is a pain, since you can't erase.)

This is a thumbnail for something I'm going to try to paint in Photoshop. Sorry for the bad pic:

Hopefully I'll be updating this thing more often now.

My DeviantArt Page

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1