Character concept

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character concept

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hey there,
    My favorite part of this image is the face. I really get a feel for the character by the expression; good job on that. The pose has a mood of contemplation about it, which also adds to the character, but I still wish it were more dynamic somehow.

The cast shadow at the feet bothers me because you've got nice lighting and reflected lighting but a muddy shadow, and for me it's throwing off the rendering of the boots and legs.

Good stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

gaijin had some good points already. I really like the expressions on his face too, very realistic. I think the gun looks kind of plastic though, maybe desaturating the blue might help..? Also, the torso seems to have more highlights than the legs, and maybe it needssome more shadowcast from the gun on the jacket. I'm not so sure of this point though.

Looking good already....8)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The others are right, you need to fix that gun a little. desaturate it, and try to push the values on it some more. I'd also recommend reworking that hand holding the gun a bit, its very vague at the moment. The upperarms looks a tiny bit too short too, but that might just be me.

I love the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys,

Will keep working on it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are cops allowed to have goatees? He has one because he's obviously a badass who take no guff from his supervisor!

I'll add the crits - you have a good handle on painting mass and the details of his outfit, while not as sharp as the might be, feel real. His face, and suspicous/pensive expression work well. What is holding the peice back, is the stiffness of the pose. His feet are parallel, which is odd, and his has no counter balance to his posture at all, his hips are parallel to the ground, his shoulders are parallel to his hips, and everything except his head (and a little bit of his hands) are pointing straight ahead. Not to tease you, but he looks like you used a little GI Joe doll as reference for the pose (especially because of the feet)

I do like the way he is holding the little cross. I can't tell if he whipped it out because he is following the trail of a vampire, or because he is picking up little bits left behind at a crime scene... most likely he is a touch supersticious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only thing that i noticed that the other people have not already said is the neck. if u look at neck closely, those two tendons that connect from behind ur jaw bone to the collar bones go way to our right side which hints to the veiwer that his body should be at a more severe angle. or probably he as a really thick neck...it looks great overall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the character is too flat tonally. Everything is roughly the same color. You might try making his flack vest darker to add visual interest. Also his holster is on the wrong leg if he is indeed left handed. You might also add some other "cop" doo-dads around his belt (cuffs, extra clips,...that sort of thing.)

Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel this just simply needs some attention to contrast and making distinctions of what is what. Bring out some of the nice detail you have started and carry over the attention you have given the face to your characters outfit. Nice start. Keep us updated.

' Visions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat, i would advise looking over the gun some more. Take a look at guns on a google search or something. Cause the tip of the gun seems to pinch off and bend a weird way. Also the forearm that's holding the gun doesnt need the mega huge dark stripe at the bottom of it, explore more of the form there. Other then that if you want to make a background that'd be cool; helps ground the character nicely. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Excuse the playing around - painting added to.

I like the concept except it is pushing cliche -- kneepads, kevlar, I know are practical but they don't have a lot of power in design because everyone does that. I suppose the nice rendering of the face pulls it off. His nose looks a bit flat -- small seems ok, but flat into the head maybe not so good. I worked over it, but for my own fun rather than to really try to improve it.
    Oh yeah - as I was changing the arm, to see what it could look like, I noticed those pockets on his chest are really vague and maybe need delineation.

Character concept

Tom Mooney
    www.livejournal.com/users/tomacmuni

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I can't say how much I appreciate the comments!

Wetterschneider - Yeah, his pose does look stiff now that you mention it, will try to give him some movement. You were right about the vamp too!

Lambchop - Looking at his neck I can now see its off! Will change it!

Crow – Man, I cant believe I didn't put some cuffs on his belt!

Mr Visions – Will give his outfit some more work!

Rainblade - Will hunt around for some reference for the gun!

Custodian - Thanks for the paint over man! makes it look a lot more effective! Did you make him slimmer?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ads
    Hi guys,

Just after some feed back on this character concept image. He's going to be a central character in a horror/action game.

Thanks!

Ads.

Character concept
    your guy has a resident evil vib to him......maybe not what your going for? but thats just what i got from him

The World Is Yours....SO! Get off your ass and take it!

"insert future link"

It's a long way down to get to the top

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.