Art: my surrealist vision
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: my surrealist vision

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my surrealist vision

Last edited by surreal prodigy; January 9th, 2006 at 11:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

destructive vanity

just another one of my strange ideas

this is another one of my paintings....my first attempt. it represents to opposites...in a kinda yin yang duality.

"a picture is worth a thousand souls"

its one very pissed off dude..or chair

the masons are in control of everything

just a idea...

i call it the "vibrations of sound"

the guitar palyer

"enaslaved within conformity"

Last edited by surreal prodigy; January 10th, 2006 at 07:51 PM.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've combined your threads. No need to keep making new ones with each image, it just makes things harder to find and dilutes any comments.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nyah... Dali-ness, I'm doing surrealism and futurism for my art project at college, I think they are good but Dali-ness isn't really my thing.

mmm... tastes like chicken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree... Though Dali's stuff is awesome, try to be a bit more original in the background and stuff, ya know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first ones pretty corny. The second one could have been effective if it weren't for the poor rendering of the hand and foot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well....
    i really don`t know why when young artists hear "surreal" they immediately think "dali". i mean - there have been countless amazing surrealists through out the years, who never - not once - painted an arm connected to an eye looking at a watch in the middle of the desert.
    surrealism is not about unrelated objects all laying around in a big messy pile. it`s about the world of dreams, fantazy, the sub-conscious, and the way it takes form when translated to one absolute image.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see dali.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like most, I think it looks like some of Dali's work... and that's the whole point. Dali was innovative, fresh and revolutionary with his work.. but now everybody has seen his work. That's why you get reactions like: "Dali-ness" and "so Dali" Try creating your own style in this.. because I don't think this is what you, from deep within, want to make. Develop your own style, even if people don't like it.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're getting the reaction above because you're so obviously derivative. You seem to be trying very hard to be Dali's little brother... The imagery itself is a bit clichéed and obvious, especially in the second piece.

If I could make a suggestion... simplify or narrow your visual interpretation a bit. Surrealism is not a style, or a mix of disparate images. It's a view of a world/concept/artifact twisted or modified to some degree after going through your mind's "internal eye." It's spontaneous and automatic, not planned. You can not create a surrealist piece. You simply let it happen as pure image and then try to capture it so the viewer can comprehend or view what you yourself see. To avoid repeating clchés you've come across, attempt to depict an emotion/sense of being/concept/random thought/friend in as straight-forward and simple an approach as possible, maybe with a pencil or something limiting. THEN adapt that image result to a painting, refining and re-enforcing as you go.

Attempting to advise or crit a surrealist piece is difficult because it's so personal an image, so my comments here are based on what I see, and what I see is your attempt to talk to me. You don't have to point a gun to my head, or scream at me through a bullhorn. Try winking instead...or just pop your tongue out with an origami frog on it as we sit down to dinner...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good example of surrealistic art that isn't dali is H.R. Gieger...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amen chuck.

'dali_apprentice' is a more probably name for you based on these two pieces. that aside, what i'd like to read is your meaning of both pieces. i won't critique your thoughts as you put them to paint....i'm just curious as to the 'why' behind the work. i think that would be most interesting to read.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well the first piece is based on my observation of many people. those two inner conflicts thats built into people, split personality to put it easier. and the second one just an exaggerated idea of women and beauty. as the title "destructive vanity" their outward apperance just kinda melts away, and they are all the same on the inside...empty souls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Ilaekae]You're getting the reaction above because you're so obviously derivative. You seem to be trying very hard to be Dali's little brother... The imagery itself is a bit clichéed and obvious, especially in the second piece.

If I could make a suggestion... simplify or narrow your visual interpretation a bit. Surrealism is not a style, or a mix of disparate images. It's a view of a world/concept/artifact twisted or modified to some degree after going through your mind's "internal eye." It's spontaneous and automatic, not planned. You can not create a surrealist piece. You simply let it happen as pure image and then try to capture it so the viewer can comprehend or view what you yourself see. To avoid repeating clchés you've come across, attempt to depict an emotion/sense of being/concept/random thought/friend in as straight-forward and simple an approach as possible, maybe with a pencil or something limiting. THEN adapt that image result to a painting, refining and re-enforcing as you go.

Attempting to advise or crit a surrealist piece is difficult because it's so personal an image, so my comments here are based on what I see, and what I see is your attempt to talk to me. You don't have to point a gun to my head, or scream at me through a bullhorn. Try winking instead...or just pop your tongue out with an origami frog on it as we sit down to dinner...[thanks alot...thats really good advice. i am pretty sick of being compared to dali, even though its 100% my idea, people still see dali in it.]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.