Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff keep practicing. the woman's hip on her left seems a bit sharp

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny storyboard. You seem to be strong at sequential illustrations. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the guy's nose and teeth are sticking too far out. Woman's arms too short.
    Here's a skull draw over to help. Good looking sketches though. getting better man.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the hand is ok, its a start. 25 has good points. the girl has some nice rendering imo.

couple pointers to that action scene where the guy is head butting that dude. first of all, show force without force lines, ie in the clothing and wrinkles. second the hand looks to slack, like i mean y would the dude head but wen he could slip out of the full nelson like a baby. show that the dude has tight fists, like he is squeezing toothpaste all over the place. hard lines creasing out of the palm that are being pressed in by the fingers of the closed fist. that alone would make it more believable. and then quickly for a comic effect do some crude shadeing where the heads are meeting to signify an impact. you know mabey ill try and do my own version of that do give u a lil better of an idea. laters and good stuff.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for the women whos arms are too short. General rule i like to go by...the elbow should be right above where your hip bone starts, and the tips of the hands are an inch or 2 above the begining of the knee.

The drawings are coming up a notch!

Oh and for the OC session dont worry I like to do that thing all the time..so maybe me and you can at an earlier time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another thing I forgot is the best moment to illustrate a hit is either before or after the point of impact, not when the hit is connecting.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha thats' why i love you guys, always there with helpful crits!!! The headbutting scene is directly from a how to draw fight scene book. Funny thing is that it pretty much looks just like my drawing which isn't dynamic or convincing. I thought it would be a helpful book but your comments have been WAY more helpful. Maybe i should just post scenes from the book and we can critique how much better they could be, hahaha!
    On the woman's arms there was something i was trying to convey that i obviously didn't. What i visualised was that her elbows were slightly bent and going back as she slid her hands up. As if she was making her way to putting her hands on her ass. i think if i had drawn a line or darker rendering where the bottom of her bicep is it may have shown the foreshortening better. thanks again for the crits

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This morning's warm ups. Damn sketch book is just a tad too big for the scanner so sorry about the edges.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey the guiy drinking something looks good man. The hand placement is pulled off well. Most people just wrap the fingers around the cup but the hand will rarely ever touch a glass fully. Looks like a pringle can though haha.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick sketch this morning. I didn't bother with erasing so i know there are some issues. I just wanted to let creativity flow without thinking too much.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the small figure at the top of your page from May 30. Really good pose. Throw it up a little bigger and make something of it. The minotaurs arms are of different length, and the armband between the right arms delt and biceps looks real tight.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master: thanks, i'll have to make note that i did that one right, haha
    Boogie: Nice to hear from ya. I'm sure at some point i WILL use that pose. I save all these so i can reference them later. and there's no denying it, minotaur's arms are definately screwy, lol.
    Some face studies before i sit down to work.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey penciller, we should see more eyelid when the eye is close/looking down. On your 3/4 views, the eye farther away, we should see less of that since it's covered by the nose and brow. It's also better not to draw the teeth, cus it'll look too...teethy. Just draw the teeth in the corner and not the front ones. also when you darw in teeth, you get too many lines in the mouth area. Pay attention to the corner of the mouth, eyelids, brow, and bottom of the nose since thats where the darkest values are. Your noses are fine in the sketches above.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One word: Proportion. Difficult, but rewarding when you get it right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More fun with faces and a little bit of dragon study.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more faces!!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha love the "rent a ninja" story board. some of that digital stuff is cool to, how long does it take to do? your sketches are cool, but try and push for some darker values- it will really bring them out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice! faces are getting better already.

are you doing these from life or memory? On the face to the right, the line for the nose is continuous with the line for the cheek bone. Gotta be careful with that. There are a lot of smaller things that you gotta keep in mind when you're drawing but eventually you won't even have to think about them.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Head Structure

Look at the shape of the head first <> visualize the bony structure of the skull underneath <> with the skull, hands and feet it is very important to understand the skeletal structure (the bones) because they are so close to the surface and determine the appearance a great deal.

We all what to learn to draw eyes, mouths, noses and ears but real important features are determined by the larger masses <> (we can recognize someone we know from a distance long before we can see their eyes etc).

The shape of the head including the hair ( which must follow the skull) the frontal bones, eye sockets, cheekbones and jawbone determine the general look of the head <> the muscles determine expression and for the most part the minor features are along for the ride.

Always remember the form that the features are resting on and the order or importance <> usual eyes first (closest eye should be focal point) <> mouth is usually second because it works in concert with the eyes in expression <>
    The nose is third and the ears last.

Hope this is helpful. If you always visualize the head as an upside down egg with latitude and longitude lines on it like a globe it will help you visualize structure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spade: thanks, it usually takes about a day for me to draw an entire comic page.
    Master: thanks! i'm practicing as much as i can in the morning then i draw for the comic. I just hope the stuff at the end of the comic doesn't look so much better that i have to go back and redo stuff, hahaha. I drew those last three faces from memory.
    mentler: i'm honored to have your input. your work inspires me! Your advice is most helpfull and i will put it into practice.
    Here's a little sketch i did last night while watchng Underworld 2.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hotness. The muscles on the wolf looks really good. ANd the legs are done well. His feet don't look properly grounded. I think you could have gave him longer hair in some area and a tail!

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a comic book page rough fro the story i'm working on. The script got changed so this page isn't going to get used. The guy on the left with his hand out is telling his partner this story of when he was a beat cop. It's rather lengthy dialog and the original script called for three panels of the two officers talking. I told the writer that the action of the story he is tellng is much more visually interesting than looking at two guys walking down a hall. The writer said he wanted to show everyday life and so he thought it was important to show them just walking. The thing is the "walk" that these two characters have takes place over seven pages. I think the readers will get the point that it is everyday life. I've learned a lesson here. Working with writers is not always easy or fun, sometimes it's just a job.

Also i drew this while i was in class.
    Do you ever find yourself drawing something then say, "what the hell did i draw that for?"

Last edited by -ThePenciler-; June 9th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you got a fetish for cowboys with huge moustaches and hats that couldn't possible fit on their heads

sorry...

On a (slightly) more serious note tho, have you ever done figure drawing from life? I see a lot of little issues with the anatomy of your figures that could be fixed with a little dedicated study. It's like, you know what every muscle group looks like and can draw them well separately, but you have problems wedging them together and making the body look believable as a whole. Maybe think less about detailing biceps, lats and quads and think more of intersecting masses to form a figure that looks believable.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really have no idea what you're refering to. I appreciate critiques but that last post came across a little arrogant. Please be mindful of your own skill level when critiqueing someone elses work.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what boogie was saying is to pay attention to proportions more and how muscles connect together. Life drawing can really help that since you can see muscles from all angles in all kinds of poses. I don't think one should ever be mindful of one's own skill level when critiqueing either. Critiques are to help not to show that you have more knowledge than the person whose art you're critiqueing. I can see why boogie's crit can came off as a little arrogant, though.

On another note. the comic panel reads really well. At first I thought the whole page took place at the same time but after reading that it was a flashback I can totally see it. Just a few things I noticed: the guy's neck in the bottom right panel is too small and the thumb of the guy telling the story is too stiff. it should be more natural if he's making hand gestures as he's telling a story.

Last edited by Master 25 Days; June 11th, 2006 at 04:30 AM.
    CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis Proportion studies

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arrogant? Why? Because you didn't understand my crit? Or because I made a joke? Whatever. What I was trying to say was that there are flaws in your anatomy skills that show up every time you draw a figure and if you want to get rid of these flaws you will need to study real world figures and draw from observation. I think a figure drawing class would be good for that. If you got something to say about my art please post a crit in my SB.

-hal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff here man, keep it up!
    Boogieman and Master 25 Days speak the truth though, I think you misinterpreted their post a litte, they are only trying to help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see you studying proportions.
    Pay attention to anatomy as well (bones, muscles, ...) and you'll do just fine. Hell, some of the things I've seen here are already better now than anything I'll ever do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    proportion study looks solid.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.