Sketchbook: From the Mind of The Penciler - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: From the Mind of The Penciler

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm well i was a little disoriented today but i still managed to do some drawing. First i did some skull studies.

Then i did some doodles while i watched a movie.

Then i tried to do some coloring on this girl but sitting in front of the computer just made me sleepy. I got some base colors down tho.

Well i'm gonna take a quick peek at some of your threads and then take a nap.
    Cheers

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

From the Mind of The Penciler
    SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good tos ee you studying the skull. All to important. Remember that the bottom of the cranium is flat. The cranium should be bigger too.

the silhouettes look interesting and effective, since I can clearly tell what they are. that's a good way to make illustrations more readable: have a strong silhouette.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Master.
    Due to recent changes i can now post some of the stuff from the graphic novel i've been working on.
    Here is one that was debated on and is now not going to be in the comic anyway. The guy in the first panel with his hand out is telling his buddy about something that happened while he was a beat cop. The panels on the right are part of that flashback.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a rough of the following page.

also this is a rushed sketch of the Creature of the week. I didn't get it done in time ( missed by five minutes)

Last edited by -ThePenciler-; July 3rd, 2006 at 02:19 AM.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Heh, i was looking through your sketchbook while you posted in mine >.>; I really like the rent-a-ninja, the lava enviro, and the dragons. Your anatomy studies are going good, and i would add to the reccomendation that you do more figure drawing, it helps loads! Keep working hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cute creature, you're not going to color it ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey that's a pretty good creature design. too bad you didn't get it done in time.

on the comic page, remember that all objects of the same height should line up on the horizon. The horizon is hitting the right guy's in the eye in the 2nd panel and in the 3rd, it's hitting top of his head. The 2 people in the bg on 2nd panel looks taller than the two guys, especially the one farthest back, the horizon is hitting at the belly there. Going by that rule, the doors are too big also. If the guys stand next to it, their head would be a little bit above the door knob, which should be lower (it's not right in the middle).

here's a link where I learned this: http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/show...3&postcount=64

Perspective is a big part of drawing comics since most of the time you're gonna be drawing people in a surrounding, so it's useful to be aware of the rules. keep up the good work!

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how important perspective is, not only in comics but in any piece of art that you want to add realism to. I drew the perspective on that page freehand because it's just the rough that i send in to the client to make sure everything is going the way they want it to. Good job noticing the problems with the perspective tho! There are quite a few!! I notice that you haven't tackled perspective yet in any of your sketches. if you get the chance check out the Feng Zhu concept design vid from Gnoman. It's chocked full of perspective that you can practice along with. Also, if you want to study the masters. Filippo Brunelleschi developed linear perspective which the great renaissance painters used.
    Here is another rough page. For some reason the writer changed scenes, location and characters in the middle of a page. I tried to tell him that it is confusing to the reader to do that but he was addimate. Oh well.

oh and here is a quick sketch of a fighter ship i did a minute ago

Last edited by -ThePenciler-; July 3rd, 2006 at 06:22 PM.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here you go wim. I didn't spend too much time on it cuz i wanna get started on a new idea.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can't say much about the art quality even though it's good since it's just the rough. Can you post the script for the page too? I think from the first to 2nd panel, it would look better if you change the camera more. In the first panel for example, you could zoom in some more to make the crying woman's face clearer. I like the framing and angle on the 3rd and 4th panel, especially the 4th panel.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol nice one, I think you're on your way in becoming a great cartoon/comic artists. Your eons ahead of me in story telling skills.

Id like to see you push the female with the base colors down a lil more further. Try not to make the colors perfectly rendered either, just go nuts with it! Its a sketchbook afterall. I find out new little ideas on color when working abstractly everyday, it keeps your mind off from worrying about fucking up. Give it a try you might learn something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master: When working for Marvel you just get a plot page and it's left up to the artist to determine layout and camera angles. That is my favorite way to work. Unfortunately it's not like that here. Not only did the writer determine the shots but often times they were bad and he would not listen to any suggestions in change.
    Kresh: Thanks, i'll try that. I know coloring is one of my weakest areas.
    Here is the inked version of the last page. It has a few problems but it was what the writer wanted and he was happy.

I had to make adjustments to almost evry panel for the enormous amount of dialog. If you'll notice many of the characters were moved down.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dang that kinda sucks to be working for a dude like that, but hey and gig is a gig, and ur working ur way up pal. gotta start somewhere.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's pretty bad having someone who won't listen, but I guess it'll give you some experience with these kind of people later. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the guy you're working for sounds pretty wack. Few things I notice.

The pole on panel one should be move over either directions. It's right in the middle and it's nearly tangent with the theatre. I would move it to the right so it overlaps the theatre. The way the boobs are stretching out the shirt looks awkward too. I think you could lose the nipples to make it mroe serious and there should be less lines there as well. My eyes are drawn too much to her chest and not on her face.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OBX: lol yeah i'm slowly wedging my foot in the door but it's not open quite yet!
    Oki: i learned a valuable lesson. Never take a job without reading the WHOLE script first!
    This is another rough comic page.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty good start. when you raise one of your eyebrow, there should be wrinkles on that side of the forehead and the other eyebrow should dip lower.Left eye on the guy in the middle in the last panel should be lower. I want to comment on the panelling but I'll leave that up to someone who has any experiments with pencilling comics.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow it's unlike you to actually NOT comment on something.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I'm just trying to help. Would you rather I just leave one-line comments? It'll be much easier for me. It's not like I'm critiquing to put anyone down.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just playing around
    I wonder how long this post will stay up before photobucket removes it for content.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hot man. Smooth and sexy. I like the anatomy in this since I can spot the skeleton underneath (since thats what I'm studying atm). I like the black bg for the mood but the other bg's bring out the silhouette more. She looks thinner with the black bg because of that. Only a few things that could use some work:

-Nose should point down more since it's a top view

-the upper lip should be concealed since it's a top view once again.

- shadow on her left breast should extend to the left more since the light is coming from the right(judging from the shadow on her right arm and torso)

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The nude you did is looking very good, but I get the impression that her head is rather small compared to her body.
    Anyone else noticed this or is it just me ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master 25: thanks for the tips!!
    wim: you are quite right about her head i think.
    I kinda like this one so i'll probably go into ps and make some of the corrections you guys have mentioned.
    In the mean time here are some drawing i did in todays life drawing session.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job on the life drawings, Penciller. Shading on the last one is the best to me of these three. ON the first one, the guy's forearms look a little long. you handled the lighting on the last one pretty good, although I think if you had more time, you could define the structures a little bit more.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work !!
    Don't forget to work on your lines also!! Make as less lines as possible.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay i've got a 2d animation class so i'm working on making my scottish character "Magnus" more stylized so it will be easier to animate. I looked at some korean made cartoons as well as others for different styles. I drew with a pen and put down everything from fat ones to skinny ones to just plain weird ones. I still think i can push it quite alot further tho.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work. of these, I think the head on first page at the top to the right of the screaming one has the most character and I like the wider jaw and smaller nose/eyes. If you put that head on the body you have now, it should be solid.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice range of expressions in the faces, some of these are hilarious I noticed slight anatomy problems here and there, but considering the cartoonish style that's probably intentional (e.g. the positioning of the eyes).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Master:thanks!! i think i agree with you about that one. I went with that bigger jaw on these next drawings.
    More drawings of this guy.
    This first one i did on the back of someones mail hence the text showing through. lol

This one is more realistic. it's cool but i can't use it.

And this one i did in a challenge with some friends. The challenge was to draw an exreme pose in a cartoony style. About five minutes or so.

hope you enjoy!!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, not bad for 5 min.

Remember what OBX posted about offsetting curves. I see some areas where you have adjacent curves. Even if it's suppose to be cartoony, I think it'll still be good to follow that rule.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.