Sketchbook: From the Mind of The Penciler
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Mind of The Penciler

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

From the Mind of The Penciler

Okay i'm really looking foreward to meeting all of you and hearing your comments. I plan to post often, but alas i am back in school getting my animation degree so i can tell you that during finals posts will be slow
    Keep on me about posting. Sometimes i need a little push, i actually work better under pressure!
    So without further ado here we go!

Here is one i did for a coloring book.

This one i did a sketch of quickly for one of my classes. I decided to ink it even though there are some anatomy problems. I just wanted to hone my inking skills.

This next one i did quite a while ago and you may have seen the colored version already.

This next one i did for a character and object design class. As you may be able to tell (i hope!) it is the same character that is fighting the knights above.

Well that's all i have time for now. I'll post more later. Hope you enjoy, and please feel free to comment good or bad.

This is from PAGE 6!! GO CHECK IT OUT!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by -ThePenciler-; October 31st, 2006 at 11:34 AM.
    "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."

SSG #12
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh
    -Boogieman-Oki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are nice. I really like the layout of the wonderwoman pic but just watch the proportions of her legs. Thighs are a little large especially when compared with the feet, which arent quite sitting right in perspective as well. Ur inking is nicely done, keep up the drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff i did today

I did this one in my sociology class

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like ur wonderwoman line and color. Its fun. This ninja dude has got a couple issues tho. the feet a lil too small, and i cant really tell if he's grounded or not, it looks like he's walking down stairs or stumthing. If thats wat u wanted to convey tho, then great. Update more!

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits! I new there were some issues with the last one but i posted it anyway. (We can't just post the new ones if we want to get better, right?) I'll be posting more tonight when i get home!
    p.s. can somebody tell me how i can post my sketchbook down in my signature without actually showing the url? I just want it to say what it does on the thread.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice solid work up there! Good inking, I like Xanthia. Just do your anatomy (that should be CA.org's motto, really..) And keep up the good work - Wonder Woman really rocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well its better to get crits on ur newer work. i guess as long as the stuff u want crits on isnt over a year old. Update! post more!

Um to change the signature eh. umm i think u just go url = http.sketchbooklink] then watever u want it to say [/url

Dont for get the [ ] at the beginning and the end, i left them out

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff, your ink work is the most impressive. The samurai is a little off but i like "his" left shoulder and upper neck, looks good. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay thank you all for your crits and encouraging me to post more!
    Here are some more!
    This one looks like he's grabbing his own ass!

These are some quick sketches i did.

This is the first concept of a character in a book i'm working on. He's from Scotland and fights fantasy creatures and what not, but it takes place in modern times so he still has to look modern. I like it but, he doesn't really look modern at all so it's back to the drawing board. I guess that's why they're called "concepts".

Hope you all enjoy and i'm looking foreward to hearing your comments.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ur hands are pretty good, they have a good structure to them, u just need to hone it and then simplify and stylize them. Looks as if u have pretty decent command over ur pencil too.

Its good to see that u incorperated form into the flanel design of that norse dudes kilt, rather than just stamping it down. You also show a bit of knowledge in how cloth folds and rests. however that hook on his gauntlet on the right arm just seems stick out. It gives me the look that it could be too flimsy, and i mean if the character is this huge badass tough guy ur gonna give him armour and items that enforce that.

Keep up the drawing, and find time to post more fresh stuff.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes you are very right about the blade on the guanlet. It doesn't fit.. I've done some new concepts for him and the cover but there is only 1 scanner here and everytime i want to scan it's busy.
    Thanks for the crits! I'll post ASAP

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow i finally got to scan a few things in!
    This first one was a quick sketch of my cat.

Here is another concept sketch for the main character in the comic. I beefed him up quite a bit. Put some more modern shoes on him and got rid of the blade on his guanlet. I like it but now he's almost to big to be as agile as i imagine him to be.

These are some quick thumbnail sketches for the cover.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first attempt to draw on the tablet with no reference.
    it's very different but if i can do it well i won't need to wait on scanners!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o damn that new shit looks way better. i like that u removed the gauntlet on his right arm. You should seen the first think i did on a tablet. It looked soo crappy. Thats a very nice first attempt actually. Aww that cat looks so cutely, makes me sad, coz mine died a couple months ago. (we were like this *OBX* crosses his index and middle fingers like an X).

Thnx for the post.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i definitely think that you are getting better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff penciler

quite impressed with your ink work

!!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only 1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay i told Master25 i'd try and do some skull studies today so here you go!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some crits on ur fantasy characters...
    you're on the right track, u just need to work on your anatomy a little more, i know that youre going for the exaggerated (dont know if i spelled that right) look but the biceps are way too big. its not that theyre too big, its just that theyre positioned wrong. i would look at some reference and see how the bicep is positioned in the arm. if you take a closer look at anatomy books you will see that there are a lot more muscles to keep in mind than just a huge bicep. once you see these your drawings will look much cleaner and more realistic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A big mistake is that ppl forget that its made of 2 muscles... hence the "bi" in cep. its 2 parallel muscles running the length of the arm, and if u really want to get big looking but realistic looking arms ud have to draw more to the triceps. Most body builders build up thier triceps more than thier biceps for competion becoz its bigger and has greater mass than the bicep.

O and wen ur doing elipses do them the feng zhu style but not entirely, he says to plant ur elbow and then ghost an ellipse or circle with ur hand swirving it round and round, but just loosen up the elbow and tad, lift it off the table a bit and it will give and easier motion and flow. Wen u think u have it drop. Also another thing wen doing circular musclular organic shapes is to hold the pencil by the end, not all cramped up at the front. let the pencil to the swinging and work for u. Stay loose and light then over time build up and tighten the lines u want. just some tips, ur circles and eliptical shapes look a lil chocked and put together with too many lines. The more lines the more the error will pop out.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea listen to OBX, he knows what he's talking about. Smaller biceps or bigger triceps, and easy with the veins they're starting to look like aortas. You have alot of anatomy study to do. WonderWoman's legs look very funky. Sketching everyday should take care of that tho. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pay more attention to were the ribs and the muscles over them end. The latt muscles dont seem to be there. Most of the time u shouldn't even see the lat muscles when the arms are down. My brother was actually just as big as your scottland fighter character, and his arms never were that far apart like that. He said guys who do that are faking it and its bad posture. So now when u see guys walking around like that u can laugh at them.

So what im trying to tell you is don't be afraid to hide some body parts in poses, they will look more accurate and more comfortable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for your helpfull comments and crits!
    Thanatos: Thank you for the bicep info. I'm currently working on the cover pencils so i'll be sure to reference the muscles more!
    OBX: I'll pracice with the elipses on my tablet that way.
    Orozc0: Yes wonder woman's legs look funky. To me even the legs on Xanthia look a little funky to me. I'm trying to bring back full looking women into the comic book world. It seems that comic women just seem to be getting skinnier and skinnier to me. These were my attemps at starting to try that. I have a long way to go in my anatomy but i do draw everyday.
    Kresh: At first i didn't know what u were talking about but i must assume you were refering to the first version. I'm glad you bruoght it to my attention cuz i didn't notice it. Like i said to Thanatos, i will continue to hit the books.

Speaking of, do any of you suggest a good book for that. I have Dynamic figures by Hogarth, and drawing the head and figure by Jack Hamm.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ppl say loomis, but ive never seen it so i cant speak for myself. personally hogarth is my saving grace. However, he draws a lil to dynamic for my taste, but its good to understand the muscles. flex muscle fintess magazines are the most underated anatomy source ever. just go to the nearest seven elven. But first just practice the basics... i mean the other b word that also means basics... bones. Owell if it has realistic anatomy layouts it should work fine... hell even a bio text book has good diagrams. post some more drawings!

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OBX: great tips for drawing elipses. Nice name for SSG 12 also haha.

I've skim through a few loomis books and they seem pretty solid. You can check them out for free here.

Good start on the skull, penciler. What reference are you using btw? The skull from the slight bottom view with the mouth open has some issues but its a tough angle to draw it from w/o reference. I used ref from the atlas of human anatomy book by stephen peck. The superciliary arch (brow) and nasal bone should be more angular.

CCAD FRESHMEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't using reference for the skulls.
    Thanks for the tip on the nasal bone, i tend to draw it flat cuz in my mind i think that the cartilage is missing so therefor it must jsut be a hole. Obviously that is incorrect. I have to go to life drawing right now so i will post some stuff after that.

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cant wait.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some very cool stuff..... you're obviously highly skilled. Couldn't possibly find anything to criticise myself. Work all seems very clean and good sense of depth.

./|.......................
    .\.||||.___............
    ..|..|...|__.\....../...
    |/...|...|__...\/\/...!! ...Sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay here is a quick post. I didn't have life drawing today so instead of jumping back into my projects i took a little time to free draw. This first one was from a Met-Art pic. I was looking at my monitor and found it very difficult to really see dimension as i would in real life.

These are some drawing i did using a crowquill and india ink. I was referencing Frazetta, as if you couldn't tell. However i was pleased that i did these with no pencils first.

Then i decided to do some tablet drawing. I'm ashamed to show this one but i'm doing it anyway. This was from a photo reference of my friend Ming. It is so terrible! My first tablet drawing looks way better. This is supposed to be an Asian girl and it looks like a MAN!

I know i haven't posted much lately. I've been working on a couple of major projects that involve alot of planning before any real artwork is done. A group of friends are making a direct to DVD animation and have hired me on to do some background work. I also have a background design class so i was able to combine both into one project. It will take a little planning but i think the payoff will be worth it. I will submit more about that project soon as now it's still very much in the planning stage.

Don't bother to critique that last pick cuz i know it's craptastic!

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay this background project is going to be fun! Basically i have four different backgrounds. Each one stands alone but when you put them together there is one central character that overlaps onto all four scenes.
    This is the upper left corner of the piece. In the bottom right you will see there is a big open space. That is where the central character will be. In this shot you will only see his left shoulder, the left side of his face, and maybe part of his left hand. Each one is penciled first and i should finish drawing all of them befor ei start coloring but i just couldn't help myself. This is still the early stages of coloring so i'll post more on it soon.
    Enjoy

SSG #12
    -Boogieman-Oki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lookin good, dont forget that the light will fade off as u go further into the hall. and some core shadows on those pillars might look nice. but if ur going for a more dynamic comic like feel id leave out a fair bit of the reflected light and use heavy cast shadows to hide some of the mistakes that might be apparent in the line work. just some ideas. id love to see more progress pics. keep it up.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.