Sketchbook: Sketchbook and random drawings - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Alexson: thanks dude, what kind of weirdness are you seeing, proportions? i can see some faces are a bit wonky there, i think i need to work on that

Velderia: Thanks i appreciate it

Some more sketching at library. This is fun and helps to loosen up my drawing,

a few quick characters

a something...

These are some value practice for heads

I took one of the heads from above and put it on a body i drew before, and put some values on it

thanks for looking!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    heres some more stuff

some figures from imagination.... i dont know why its taking me so long to improve at drawing figures... im getting frustrated but i keep on trying

I havent drawn in a sketchbook for a long time, maybe a year or two so it was fun to get back to it and do this one, hopefully i can do some more

These are 'traced' studies from various sources, in particular mmaphotography.com, which is a fantastic website for studying anatomy i recommend anyone to check it out. I enjoy doing these its definitely helpful

some heads no ref

I took one of the heads, and tried a painting, already see a few mistakes now but i still like it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    i love the pencil face sketches, they have so much character. Your lines always have great ease and fluency. good job dude!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lolbbq: Thanks bud, that is great to hear. I think my linework needs lots of work, but your comments are well appreciated

ArthurTwo Sheds: Yo Brendan! Thanks man. those are really just tracing for study purposes, so i cant take any credit for the drawings hehe

Some more sketchbook stuff. I reffed the black haired guy. kind of sucky but o well

more trace, some of these are from sample images on Buddy Scalera's website http://buddyscalera.com/
    Great reference his books look great

and more figure practice and sketches

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great stuff Matt! Yea i got a couple of Buddy Scalera's books too, they are awesome. Your figure studies looks good! I should be doing more of these..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Bergman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pixie: karen thanks, yea those books look awesome, i would need to order it from amazon i think

ok some more stuff coming up
    some little doodles

traced studies

imagination stuff

and tried some more painting, i like how this one turned out, let me know what you think

thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Beautiful palette for the last painting! Reminds me of this a little
    http://zain7.deviantart.com/#/d25qb80
    You're doing great stuff!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Bergman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Good improvements, man.
    Anatomy is evidently becoming more solid.

I like that centaur creature at the end of the last page, the legs are a bit stiff, but I think it could be a nice one to finish.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like your gesture drawings a lot, you clearly have a good understanding of anatomy now. Just the painting needs some work - but your latest attempt at painting looks a lot better.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wgrace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice studies!

Currently Seeking Freelance Work in::
    • Concept Art (Character Design, Environment)
    • Flash Art & Animation
    • Backgrounds/Layout for Animation
    • Storyboards
    • Illustration/Fine Art

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HumbleEgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    pixiebergman: thanks, yep i see what you mean, but my stuff cant compare to that awesomeness, great paintings thanks for the link

Hunter: Thanks dude, yea i kind of like that one too, i'll try find some time to work on it a bit more, i keep wanting to start new stuff rather than going back and revisiting old drawings, thanks for stopping by

Wgrace: thanks, yep my painting definitely needs work but then again there is lots of stuff i would like to improve.. cheers bud

humble ego: thanks for stopping by!

Well thanks guys, it sounds people are tired of seeing anatomy studies heh, o well there is still parts of anatomy i have really no idea how to draw, i would like to tackle those parts head on before moving on from it while i am in the rhythm, i think i need to start focusing on more natural poses and proportion, foreshortening

Anyways just a few bits and pieces here

I saw this exercise on this guys blog http://geoffwheeleranimation.blogspot.com for practicing character design so i decided to try it,

First i did this value study. Then i drew some faces that were supposed to be based on it...

the study totally looks nothing like the original photo, and the faces totally look nothing like the study i put the study away when i was doing the faces so i kind of forgot what he looked like, shows how much i was paying attention.

So for the stylised faces i kind of just went with a "grumpy, tired dude" theme. Actually this exercise helped, i do like drawing stylised stuff its much more suited to animation and its fun.

I was kind of surprised at how inaccurate my sight drawing was when doing the study, i guess i havent practiced it for ages.. i really gotta keep up or i will get too rusty..

some tracing studies

some sketches

messing around

and also got a chance to do some life sketches

thanks for looking,

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    looking great man, those anatomy studies are killer !

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Yor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    You made a great improvement in anatomy, and i see you´re doing great in color too... prease keep sharing more color stuff!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    yummy yummy anato studies. go go go! loving the character progression too. always have fun with your art.

yeah, i know maya and zbrush are steep curved programs, but if you set your mind to anything you can master it. now that there are so many sources to learn from online, i feel i have an advantage than those who were learning the programs years ago.

do the p90x. it's quite fun, because they switch up the routines every few weeks. it doesn't feel boring to me and it's so rewarding to see results even after the first week. just keep on bringing it!

Last edited by MattGamer; August 10th, 2010 at 08:49 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heads and figure work looks great. And I really like how that painting from post #99 turned out, really nice color work, I love these hue changes in the skin tones.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jskotte For This Useful Post:

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Great pencils, but digi rendering ain't that good. Try to use smoother brushes, do more confident strokes - remember that there's no need for large variety of tones, so try to use just 3 greytones: dark-middle-bright. Try to use textured smudge brush to smooth transition between 2 tones when it's needed.

Keep up good work mate!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph Fawkes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yor: Thanks stopping by, man

Ricardo Robles: Thank you. i think my anatomy has improved from these recent studies, not sure about my colour, i need to force myself to practice it and study more colour theory, i tend to just go with what i am comfortable with... cheers

MattGamer: Thanks mate, yea totally if you believe in it you can achieve it.. Also i agree with the tutorials thing, when i was learning maya a few years ago there wasnt a whole lot of tutes around, and even less video tutes, so you are right there. If you need a hand with anything maya related feel free to send a pm i know the program pretty well, tho im not on the latest, still running 8.5 at the moment. Also yea p90x looks good, i might do it in a few months, im still wanting to put on a bit more weight, rather than getting into a rigorous cutting/toning program, im sure you will be cut by the end of it tho it looks full on

jskotte: Thanks man for the compliments, yep im happy with how it turned out i just need to put more effort into improving the colour stuff.

Seraph Fawkes: Thanks for the tips mate, yep my rendering needs work, i was using opencanvas for about a year or so when i didnt have photoshop so i am still getting used to it, actually i still prefer painting in oc..

I am definitely more focused on developing better draftsmanship/drawing skills rather painting skills, i guess i need to find a balance somewhere..

thanks guys just a small post this time..

these are some quick line studies from photos, about 5 or so minutes each.

and some sketching

for anyone interesting this is how i approached these figures, i like to use a grid for perspective using m@'s perspective brush, pretty standard approach but i find you get a better result going through each stage. I used to see stuff like this in 'how to draw' books and just stupidly skim over it because i thought it was beginner stuff, but really ive found that the more i draw the more i realist going back to basics is the best thing you can do.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wow, some really awesome stuff here - I like your sketchbook pages from the beginning, they are very symbolic. What materials did you use for the life sketches of people in your area?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Saramel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Saramel: Thankyou, i really appreciate it. Actually, just a humble old ballpoint pen, ive got one in front of me now -papermate flexgrip i use them for life sketches, as it keeps me drawing fast and not going back to try and detail things too much, also you can't erase it so its good practice..

Thanks
    more stuff

watching letterman

some more quick sight sketches, feeling more confident with these about 5-10 min each

b &w

I mentioned before i also do 3d. There is a great program available called Sculptris which was originally a one man development but has now been bought by Pixologic (makers of zbrush), and is being further developed there. This is an awesome program! Sort of like a toned down, easy to use version of zbrush. If you ever had any desire whatsoever to try 3d sculpting i highly recommend going and grabbing it now while its free. I never really got into sculpting much, definitely more into general 3d with maya but this program is really enjoyable and straightforward
    This was a few hours testing out the program, really rough and messy but i hope to do some more stuff with it soon.

also trying out some different techniques

39. The Following User Says Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like the life drawings, you should pick a few and post some larger versions of them

"You're already DEAD!"
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    sweet work in Sculptris. and like you said. back to the basics is where it's all at. nothing is for beginners. i constantly forget rules daily on how i should draw. but also know that you don't have to follow the rules once you've perfected them. that's what makes each of us unique. some break them, some follow them to the tee.

keep up the great work and i might take you up on that Maya offer if i get lost. really enjoying the tutorial i'm following through, just need more hours in the day to complete all of the lessons! we are learning animation now, pretty sweet how much that program can do! everything from rigging to animating and even rendering. exciting!

ooh black and whites are my favorite right now. i did a couple and they really help you keep your focus on the lines rather than value, etc etc. those perspective figures are great as well. you're getting it down!

Thanks
    James Simons: Thanks, they are pretty small anyways drawn in an a5 sketchbook, i might post the next ones i do a bit larger, cheers

MattGamer: Duuude! Fundamentals all the way, you can never learn them enough..and i agree, the rules are there to be broken, but you have to learn them to know how to break them properly Dont they say style is in the mistakes you make or something like that.. Yep for sure maya is a huge program to learn, i was lucky to learn it at uni and had a great teacher, so i am happy to pass on what ive learnt as well.. im hoping to keep on discovering, there is alot of potential in the world of 3d. Cheers man thanks, your latest b&w is looking great too btw, i can see yur getting the shapes down nicely. sweet stuff.

Just a few drawings.
    reffy stuffs

random doodles i compiled

a page of fashion thumbnails from various designers on a fashion website.

and some quick kind of lame attempts at some storyboard panels. these were inspired from another artists storyboards i saw over at http://storyboardcentral.blogspot.com/ Saw them and thought i would have a crack. Definitely plan to do a whole heap of these sometime soon

Thanks
    Great stuff as usual! Loving those fashion thumbnails. Those must be quick and fun to do! Keep going seeto!

Thanks
    Hey Matt, long time no visit, you've been busy with them sketches Nice work man, keep it up!

Thanks
    pixie: thanks karen, yep they are quick i just go to the thumbnail view at style.com and its easy to view heaps at once.

Rodimus25: thanks Rod, yep gotta keep busy and try to keep on improving, thanks man!

i went on a bit of a life drawing binge last week, and just did alot from life, cos i was probably getting rusty, so heres some sketches

and some crappy paintings, i found this really old rusty car jack so i tried to paint it, and some hand shape studies and my headphones

Thanks
    huge updates keep up the good work

Thanks
    maeshanne: Thanks bud

small update..

here i grabbed some photos and tried to do one Traced, one Ref, then one Imagination/memory sketch..all pics are from the sartorialist blog i think, it helps show me where i make mistakes when doing ref

some sketches

gestures from videoref

Thanks
    hi heres a couple more drawings

some mapcrunch.com speedies, as recommended on james gurneys blog these were fun about 1-2 min each, wanna do more

studies from photos

Last edited by seetsy; December 1st, 2010 at 08:48 PM.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to seetsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sweet lines on those last ones! keep on the greatness!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.