A Daily Sketch Entry turned Finished

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is my first post in the FINISHED section of the site. I've been digitally painting for about a month now, and this is one of the few character sketches that I've bothered to finish.

It started as a Daily Sketch Forum entry:
    QUADROPED ALIEN W/ VERY TALL HEAD WEARING FULL SPACE GEAR

So I don't think I captured the whole "tall head" thing, but whatever....it's quadripedal and looks marginally capable of surviving in a vacuum, so....here it is.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The contrast is extreme, way too extreme. You have massively bright whites sitting against very dark greens and a green blue background which feels almost black.

Although the concept is fairly interesting, you excecution is lacking heavily is dynamics. It is facing us with both arms down in fists in a very unnatural position. I do believe this could be redone, but it would have to be from scratch. You have to reconstruct your creature with a more set and comfortable light source in an enviroment suiting to it, in a position natural and not static. At this point, you will need to ease in your shading and try and just forget you ever saw the burn and dodge tools.

My apologies if it seems i am just tearing your picture up, not my intention at all. But i did feel it nessesary to bring this issues up so that you may apply changes in future pieces and one day, hopefully, look back at this as dirt compared to the masterpieces you will be creating. At least, thats what i hope with my current work and my work far down the line.

All the best - LB

Last edited by Blue; January 8th, 2006 at 05:06 AM.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^
    |

Seconded! The contrast is very very harsh... this is a problem I'm working on with my stuff as well, so I'm kinda looking for that kind of thing
    Did you use the burn tool for the highlights? Try painting 'em in instead of burning them out... you lose so much color doing it.

Are you gonna do more on it, or move on?

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll admit, I have a weakness for the burn and dodge tools (though they be the epitome of lazy), but I think a large part of you guy's reaction is due to the harsh contrast. While my image may have been too dark or muddy anyway, I used a curves adjustment layer to give it the look it has now. Since this is supposed to be a thing in a spacesuit, I wanted the only light to be as if it was coming off a distant sun. Of course, I didn't draw any background because I just wanted the character, but I imagined he was standing on the outside of a spaceship.

In reference to the pose, it did just start off as a sketch. I didn't refine the idea at all even after I decided to power through to a finished product. Since I was mainly interested in a just finishing SOMETHING, I was okay with a fully frontal, static pose.

So thanks, guys, for the well-intentioned destruction of my creation. I agree with most everything you had to say, but I just want to reiterate that I have next to no painting experience whatsoever. I have no intention of revisiting this particular creature or image other than to lessen the contrast. For me, it would be far better to move on.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.