Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Ringling Questions

look, i know this should've been put in the art schools section, but it seems like nobody reads those posts... soooo here we are. i'm seriously considering moving my family to florida to attend ringling so i can further my education and learn to push my art abilities so i can get a better job doing what i love to do. now i have questions regarding jobs and work while attending school, and student housing. first of all are the student houses nice? i saw on the website they offer family housing (i'm married, and have a daughter that will be attending kindergarden) how are those houses and is the area easilly accessible? if i need to get my daughter to school or pick her up is the elementary school nearby? what about shopping and grocery stores? anyone who is married will know the importance of these questions. now what about work? is it possible to work part time and attend school? do they offer some night courses? (i want to attend for Illustration) i will be calling them on monday to get the ball rolling. i just wanted to see if some alumni or current students can help me out. feel free to PM me or just put up a post here. thanks a lot!!! i'll post more as i think of them.

ps - one more thing... would career services be able to help me out with finding a job while i am in school?? something that would fit my current level of drawing skill. thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I can help you wiht just abou anything you need to know baout the Ringling area. I live here. Ringling is located on the main road through Sarasota (not counting I-75), which is US-41 or Tamiami Trail. There are plenty of stores in the area, I think a Winn Dixie grocery store would be the closest, but there is a wide selection of stores within a 10 min drive. Its in a pretty good location, although one complaint I have is that in the northern area of Sarasota, its kind of a pain to drive to the freeway. From where I live, Its about 8 miles to get to I-75, and that is on a pretty busy road. The further south you go, the shorter of a distance it is.

Anyways, if you have any more specific questions, just ask away, I am sure I can help you!

Thanks
    What I would like to know: How do you guys finance it?
    I mean, do you find enough work over there to pay these ~8000$ (maybe I'm not informed enough) a year?

I'd also like to study in America sometimes (in three years or so... if I'm good enough then ), but I always worry about the money.

cu

Thanks
    I think the vast majority of finances comes from student loans, rich parents, or a combination of both..

I doubt anyone there pays for it themselves as they go..

Thanks
    How big is the chance to get along with loans and the financial aid by Ringling school? Especially for a foreigner - thats not very easy, isn't it?

How hard is it to get a "scholarship" (sp???)?

Thanks for the answers

cu

Thanks
    I have no idea. I do not attend RSAD. I wish I could tell you. Im ging to go down there today and see if i can get some information, because I might want to attend..

Thanks
    i go to parsons and i pay for it through federal financial aid ( fafsa) scholarships, and private loans---(my parents dont help at all)

btw-stikler------ringling is in a shitty part of sarasota

Thanks
    I'm also planning to attend Ringling. But I heard it was 25,000$ A year. Who would I contact for financial aid. Also, do I need a portfolio? If so, what do I put in it.....and are they super picky about how good of an artist you are? I want to go to Ringling, as I'm sure others do as well, to improve my art skills. X.x Could anyone answer those questions for me?
    It's better to live on your feet than to die on your knees.

Thanks
    hehe its not that much I think.

Have a look a this http://www.rsad.edu/admissions/tuitionnfees.pdf

Actually, I don't understand everything

Anyways, I just sent a request for a catalogue.

Is there any "better" school than Ringling? I mean, it's almost sure that you get a job afterwards.

cu

Thanks

ringling

-Hey

I can answer your career question right now considering im working there as im typing this...

we have a variety of jobs listed for you but the problem will lay in balancing work and school...many students do have part time jobs but never full time.....the community here worships the art students and calls in asking for many jobs to be filled.

as for Ringling being in a shitty part of school this comment is pretty much not valid...we are near a ghetto but comparitivly this ghetto is nothing and i havnt heard of anyone from this school getting into danger

its going to be hard...not everyone gets jobs....there are bad students here and good students like every other school....just gotta work hard

-Shane

ps. ringling is one of the cheapest accredited art schools even though it is costly

Thanks

thanks

thanks for the responses. so how are the apartments in that area?? i do not want to live near a ghetto or in a ghetto for 4 years.... now i have my doubts
    please, i'm about to move there and i don't want my daughter or family to grow up in a bad part of town just to go to school.... anything positive about the area? are there cheaper apartments about maybe 10-15 miles outside of the school?

hexodeci: can i get hooked up with a full time job before i move there from career services or do they only deal with students? i'm in a rut now where i need a job to move down there and the job will get me an apartment....

thanks!!

Thanks
    career services is open all summer stop by and talk to phyllis or cyndi about it and tell them i sent you : )

...dont worry about the area....the worst thing ive heard of this year is drugs...

i mean think of the ghetto here compared to anywhere in new york city (ahem parsons)...family housing on campus is awsome...dont worry about it...

Thanks
    stikler - How much would you want to spend on an apartment? Theres a town just north of Sarasota called Bradenton, which can be a nice area to stay at.. Apartment prices are pretty cheap too.. I live in Bradenton, and its a short drive to Ringling (in fact I drove down there today, to get a catalog)

I did notice that the area that Ringling is in is a little ghetto, but you do not have to live right next to the school.. Like I said before there are plenty of nice places to live within a short distance..

They also have on campus houseing for very good prices, although, I dont know if I saw any 2 bedroom apartmentsthat were on campus. I may be wrong though..

Florida is a strange place. It will be a nice area, then right next to that, a not so nice area, and then a nice area again. So just look around, and if you need help jsut ask me, if you need to I can check ou places first hand for you...

Thanks
    Im just trying to decide on what I want to major in. I really want to take Illustration, but there are other things I want to do. I wish Ringling had soem sort of an Industrial Design major..

How good are the career services for finding a job out of school? I would go for Illustration if i had a very very good chance of getting a job, Im jsut afraid I will goto shcool for 4 years and end up where I started, because there arent a ton of places that will hire someone with a degree in illustration..

BTW - for those wondering, tuition is $8,610 per semester for full time. part time it is $850 per credit hour.

Yes that is very very expensive.. over $60,000 for 4 years of school.

Thanks
    *jumps around and falls* Ugh...

DragonGX: What of portfolios? Do you have to submit them? If so, what -should- I put in them? And does it really matter how -good- you draw? I'm going to ringling to improve on my skills, is that acceptable?
    It's better to live on your feet than to die on your knees.

Thanks
    dont get me wrong i think ringling is a good school--i visited 3 friends attending there 2 years ago and i stayed with them for a week. I go to parsons--and studying art in NY was the best thing i could have done for myself---all the museums, culture, music, etc---its the art capital of the world.

sarasota was just really laid back--but ringling is a good school and youll learn ---but the environment is dead
    i need a stimulting environment to keep my motivation and energy level up

but if you have a family then ringling is probably a good choice--i wouldnt worry about the ghetto--just dont move into the heart of it and youll be fine

but im sure the cost of living is cheaper in Fl

wherever you go fill out your FAFSA and apply for all teh scholarships, and grants you can find---make up the rest with private loans GOOD LUCK----ty
    Last edited by tyboogie; April 21st, 2003 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks
    cucaracha- no school can guarantee a job after graduation. that all depends on your portfolio(to the best of my knowledge.) the only scholarship which isnt based on need is the 'presidential'(?) scholarship thats awarded to the most promising incoming freshman in each major, but i believe its only 5 grand and you get it every year as long as you maintain a certain gpa.

tanika-go to the ringling website. all the information your asking about is listed there.

im going to start at ringling this fall so im not trying to be a smart ass or act like i know everything about the school. i only visited for one day, but i wouldnt consider it in a 'ghetto' at all.

Thanks

fall

if all goes well i will be in illustration this fall at ringling as well. just need to submit a portfolio and my transcripts from high school and college.... i may be one of the oldest in this bunch!!! hahahahaha 26.... oh well maybe not? anyway age is just a number. SOoooo i was thinking... we should start a thread and everyone who is going to ringling this fall (2003) or MAY be going there (like me, mostly likely i'll be there) should post. then when we all get there have a group Conceptart meeting or something and have a hugh drawing session... well that sounds kinda lame maybe? i dunno what do you think!?

hexodeci: thanks a bunch for all that info!! got into that site and have applied for a couple of those jobs. thanks a bunch and i'll be seeing you this fall? good talking to you. thanks!

Thanks
    Tanika, I htink about 10 of your best works would be good. Try to vary the subject matter a bit, but stick to the stuff that they would want to see. If you do anime drawings, I would try not to put those in, and try to haev soem good figure/gesture drawings... If you want add a few more, but dont send in overkill, like 50+ peices. As far as quality, I have seen some profolios with... well ill just say, not exactly great work in them get through, so as long as youre not submiting stick figures, you should be alright. Just do you best and hope for the best!

Stikler - Hey maybe we will be classmates. Im trying to decide if I should go to Ringling or stay where I am, but I have a big decision in front of me. If I do go, itll be for illustration.

Thanks
    tanika - i talked to a lady there today in admissions, she said 10-15 of your best stuff half of which MUST be from observayion, life drawing etc. the stuff mr. jason manley and foster and andriod get on everyone's case about. so draw some still life and some other stuff (too tired to think) i'll be submitting my stuff next week or so? maybe later... gotta get slides. anyway. call the 800 number on the website they are very helpful there

Dragon check you PMs... and that would be pretty cool if we were classmates. i think it would be rad to meet some of you guys on here.

Thanks
    Really such a small portfolio?

Studying in Germany is not that expensive, because you get a lot of aid by the government and several institutions.
    Everyone here is able to study, even people without much money

The problem is: Your portfolio for attending at a Design School or University has to be a big folder.
    If possible, every section of art has to be covered - such as fine art, sketches, paintings, drawings, compositions, stills, charakters and on and on.
    And as much media as possible should be used, like pastels, oils, markers, crayons etc.

One big difference: They want to see good things and bad things, to give an idea of your passion and your "development" of art trough the time.
    Thats also because the people here in Germany are very "honest" - and honesty is important here (although some politicans here don't think so ).

I'm afraid I have to design lamps or telephones instead of concepting movie storyboards or cars if I study in Germany, because there's not much opportunity to study a thing like "Art & Design", only Industrial Design (jep, cars, but mostly lamps I think ) and Fine Art.

cu

Thanks
    Ill be attending Ringling this fall =D
    26? Sheesh! Im only 17...

And its actually more than 25000.
    Its 19000 tuition for me but theres another 8-9k for housing.
    I have visited Ringling, and while it is in the "slums" of town... its not that bad. Theres some really nice areas in a very short drive from there.

Thanks
    Toaster - How do you get tuition for only $19,000 a year?

Thanks
    I dont know.
    But thats what it said on the bill sheet it sent me asking how me and my parents were going to pay...

Thanks
    I got the bill the other day and my freshman year is gonna be $22,000. However, next year my sister will be going to college too, and the financial aid will be cutting that in half for the remaining 3 years at ringling, so that rocks.
    Don't interrupt me when I'm doing my art or
    you'll destroy my future

Thanks
    Yes... (has his bill sheet in hand)

Tuition and General fee: 19,060$

Ah... I did forget some other things...

Technology Fee: 1000$
    Matriculation Fee: 275$
    Core Program Fee: 60$

The Health Insurance fee doesnt apply for me since I already have that through my Dad's company.

Residence fees were approximately accurate in my post: 8,869.76$ to 9,778.76$ depending on what you get.

Without Housing it comes to 20,395$
    With the highest Housing price it comes to 30173.6$
    So I was about right in my previous post.

Thanks
    ok, well i need to send my portfolio and my transcripts then i am done and it's just waiting and seeing what they say... oh and thanks toaster for making me feel like an old man!!! hhahahahahaha. um... yeah so i guess i'll be seeing some of you this fall. i may need to go on a grand theft shopping spree just to get some new art supplies. anyone get the art kit and if so how much is it and is it worth it??

Thanks
    stikler- im a 23 year old incoming freshman with over a hundred hours credit. like the other ringling thread says, a lot of the students are older dont sweat it

Thanks
    Can one of you guys talk me into going? I need help with ym decision!

Thanks
    dont go to the win dixie down the road that one guy was talkin about, its pretty ghetto. i remeber one night were a guy got shot in the head near that store. ohh and those apartments on campus for students and familys. they were old run down hotels and crack houses. they dont mention that kind of stuff in the brochure. if anyone has questions about ringling and wants honest answers let me know. i am a ringling grad from 2001. i can tell you the goods and bads if you want to know. i had written alot for this post but erased it cause i was gettin all elaborate with my opinion about certain things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast