Feryal Character WIP - help needed..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Feryal Character WIP - help needed..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feryal Character WIP - help needed..

I'm just experimenting with this trying to just completely compose a piece from scratch in photoshop, and this is how far i got this evening. I'm new to this so I thought posting it up here, would give me a little insight in how i should continue this. Any comments, critique would be most welcome.

She is a character i've been concepting for a while but this is a step farther than anything previously.

Most Recent Update

Last edited by Aci; January 20th, 2006 at 09:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad, great skin tone. Her nose looks a bit off in relation to her mouth. Any details on the witch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. Ah I see what you mean now that you highlight it..

The witch features in some short stories i plan to write. The marking which i still need to develop on her eye manifested itself over time but revealed itself entirely around puberty, and it's an omen of sorts. The witch herself, was orphaned and raised by a coven of witches known as the Feryal, i'll tell you more as the pic develops.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting story there. The mark made me think of Domino from xmen at first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She is looking pretty good, but her nose is like a nose from someone looking straight at us, just turn it to our right a bit. Also the top half of her head is looking kind of long and manly, but I can see it's still very much undevelopped. It also looks like her left "neck tendon" (excuse my incapacitated anatomical vocabulary) is crossing her right one. Can't wait to see after the eyes are done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update.. I attempted to fix the nose a little.. and have framed the face with the hair. Tried this eye, but not sure if it works so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NIce work, got the facial shadows down pretty well. Hair's always a lot harder to get looking perfect though, look forward to seeing it all when it comes together in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks interesting so far.. I think the eye you have done looks fine, but I think I'd get rid of the black line on the fold above it, it looks a little strong. Also, I think her nose looks a little flattened still on the side nearest the purple.

I like it, though, I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

My Sketchbook
    It's when you can't hear the bats, that's when the bats are coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the starting point you've got for her hair, looks like its going to be very stylized.
    I love the skintones of this picture!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, i've taken them all into consideration.. I've added another eye =d I'm going to see if I can finish this hair..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More updatage..

It's shaping up, starting to think now what would be suitable in the background.. while now moving on to the clothing and shoulders.

C&C as always are most welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anyone know of a suitable method for showing fabric, or cloth of some kind which I can incorporate in this image?

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    texture can be a handy thing to make convincing fabric. heres a blown-up detail of some fabric i did a while back, it better illustrates what im getting at..

not the greatest render as you can see, but it serves its purposes. first i establish the lightsource, and have highlights in the areas affected by it. accordingly, darkest areas are deep in the folds and beyond the lights reach. even tho the fabric is supposed to be black, i added some slight reds and blues to add a bit more realism and to break up the flatness of the black. the texture here is a simple paper pattern, i think i made it myself i cant quite remember.. anyways, it sort of simulates a linty, cotton-like weave of a hoody.

looking forward to updates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Stoph, it highlights what I need to consider and has helped me a great deal. I'll try and emulate the basic principles and see where it takes me. I'm actually enjoying the paintery feel this piece has and I'm quite inclined not to make it too realistic but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good!be careful whith white!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeez, apologies for the space between updates. I see I already made it onto page 2.. Uni started up again and I found myself spending more time away from the comp than I usually do. Which meant I only got back to it today..

I attempted creating a brush and tried to texture the fabric and i think it looks better than it would have done without it, but is it there yet?

I'm also laying down some colours for a possibly background but I never intended on putting one in so it's pretty inprovised..

I posted this in the first post as well so new viewers can see what stage I'm at quickly and then see the development.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm adding a background, but since i've never done this before.. some help with the composition and perspective is essential. It's a ornate tower in the back, which draws water vapour from the air and provides a water supply to a sky haven of witches. With clouds. The water could be difficult when i come to it.

Please any comments would be most welcomed, and here is a higher res for anyone wishing to see anything clearer.

Higher Res

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't quite tell what the right side is supposed to be.... She is looking good, although... her left shoulder should pop out about 3 inches more. The area right above her sternum should be more defined (this is where the clavicles meet right under the neck, also where the sternocloidomastoids meet- if you have your textbooks handy). Her face seems a little puffy to me, but its also giving her some character so I don't mind it personally. Also, there should be some indication of her right shoulder. Hair could use some hints of color or more dynamics in terms of light and dark. Like I said I can't tell what the right side will be so I can only really comment on the girl. And take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm no pro. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers, I'm definitely going to take all you've said into consideration and see if I can tighten up this piece.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.