Sketchbook: Daz's Sketchbook- "Nude women! Clowns welcome! Nude women!"
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Daz's Sketchbook- "Nude women! Clowns welcome! Nude women!"

Howdy all!

I'm "Daz" from Doncaster. I'm currently a Student, but I'm hoping to make a living at this after my course ends this July. I've been lurking for about a month now, and have finally gotten the nerve up to post some of my work (providing I've managed to figure out image hosting )

Although I feel completely in awe of some of the stuff I've seen here, I'm intending to join in with some of the "Daily Sketch Group" and "... Of the week" activities, and hopefully I'll be able to raise my game enough to earn my place here.

Any comments, feedback, advice, tips, help and general supportive nurturing words are all welcome.

Thanks

Daz

Environment sketch and Storyboards for a "Horror Movie" Project (I must admit, I was a little inspired by Bengal's work when I did the Storyboards ;D )

Sketch and Pre-Production Paintings for a "Mech Warrior" style game Project

Last edited by DazWatford; January 20th, 2006 at 04:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start on your SB, storyboard looks really nice, so does the other stuff.
    Maybe the perspective on this "Battle-mechs on bridge" piece is a bit off in the background, and theres a lack of depth, but other than that really cool stuff. Hope to see some more soon.
    Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful digital piantings, Daz! The last two in particular look very impressive. I like the lighting in the last but one painting, and how real the very last picture looks. Did you use a ref.?

The first one, if you don't mind me saying, is the weakest. How about refining those edges and blending the colours a bit more? At the moment, it seems rather sloppy in comparison to your other works and lacks 'feeling'. The mood is [I'm assuming] meant to be dark and suspicious. Think about what kind of environments make you feel this way and why, then convey these elements into your painting.
    Also, is that arrow painted on the floor or is it to show us direction? It's hard to tell. If it's painted on the floor, try shading it as appropriate (i.e. further to the back). The shade of red might be too strong too, with that lighting. If it's not, then ignore what I just said.

I like how you've created the storyboard with limited use of colours. I think you've done well in showing us the jist (I had another word in mind but lost it all of a sudden) of the story. The close-up on the girl's face could do with some working into - it's looking a bit flat around the nose and eyes, imo. Add some more shading and lighting.

As for the Mech Warrior, it looks a bit flat. Although you've drawn lines and shapes onto its body, it doesn't show, or give hints as to, how it actually functions. It doesn't look 'real' enough. Maybe because it's shaded as a whole? Try subtlly shading and lighting the plates as individuals, keeping the light source in mind. Heck, add in a bit of texture here and there - a shiney surface if it's brand new, or scratchy, worn - even dented - areas as if it's been into battle.

Cool sketchbook, show us more!

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words Guys

I know that colour and lighting are a couple of weak spots for me, so I try to use some kind of reference for those wherever possible (One of the reference pics for the last one was of an old World War 2 bomber outside a Hangar, I got most of the lighting from that )

The "Red Arrow" on the first one was supposed to be showing a prospective camera move. I've since had a serious "dressing down" from a friend who actually lectures in Storyboarding, but he was kind enough to lend me a book that explains the "technical aspects" such as framing, how to show various camera moves and so on

The limited colour palette was inspired (stolen? ) from some of Bengal's stuff where he's used only two colours and white on his line work, which looks very cool

http://www.cafesale.net/bengal/gallery_color.php3

I know the Mech Paintings are a little shonky *blushes* To be honest, this was the first time I'd really tried paintings on that scale (I've got a Head Tutor who's trying to coax me off relying on the line art ) but I'm learning things with each one I do, so hopefully they'll get better *knocks on wood*

I come from a traditional background, so when I paint digitally, I tend to scan the line art, and then use a traditional methodology. Starting with colour "washes" and then over painting as if I'm using thick acrylics (if that's any help??)

Thanks again

Daz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well my first few days as a Member of Conceptart.org has consisted of entering the current "Character of the Week"

...and this "Samurai inspired Jedi Knight concept" which took about 2 hours in OpenCanvas 1.1. I worked from scratch (no scanned pencil drawing) as I'm trying to learn not to rely in linework/inks to hold my images together. Not 100% happy with it, but OK for a test a this sorta thing, enjoy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, here's some more for what it's worth

Firstly a cartoonish "Riot Grrrl" type that didn't quite work. Still, maybe it'll give some of you an insight in to my methods(?) and show that we can't get it right all the time

But perseverance pays off, and I finally got a CHOW entry I'm happy with (although the background doesn't work as... *more sighs*

Enjoy

Last edited by DazWatford; February 27th, 2006 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have some nice stuff, im loving the story boards and the mechs.

i noticed you live in doncaster, your not by any chance doing the games art course at doncaster colleger are you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK,

A couple of older pieces, but I figured I'd try the shameless nudity to ramp up my view count tactic

enjoy...

Oh and a Mars Bar for anyone who can identify the quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Daz, I think your Bengal inspired work is your strongest. Infact i think you have a very confident style of shading that you should use to your advantage. If you like Bengal, have a look at Khang Le, i love his work.
    Another reason i see this working is that when you try a more painterly approach you keep in your strong line work. Which means people aren't likely to see your lovely brush work. Where as everything is in balance with the bengal style. See where it takes you.
    Just my humble little opinion.
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, here's some more

Here's me testing some painting techniques on a belated DSG

And this is my entry for this week's CHOW

enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow cool paintings... I loved the storyboard .. could you show it in high res ?...
    cya...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB you got there. I really your coloring of these sketches. That woman on the camel is really sweet. Keep em comin dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ledd: Thenkew! Click the "My Site" link on my sig, there are higher rez versions of those boards in the "College Gallery"

@gmags: Thanks for the kind words

OK, here's a quickie (about 1.5 hours in OpenCanvas) for a DSG this week

And this is the story so far (although I may start a new one) for this weeks CHoW. Every time I think "I really should work on my Enviros" Oreg draws me back in with a tasty topic

Enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, this is a nice start you have going here, I'd like to see some traditional stuff... some pencils. in order to gain skill with digital media you must also work with traditional, in my opinion. Perhaps try some master studies or some life drawing... both are fun, and well worth the effort. rawk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally an update...

Been ground down with Essays and other lame excuses, but I managed to get a wallpaper comission for www.tenchu.de out to deadline at least.

Also trimmed this thread removing some of the more "barky" pieces from my "bad drawing" days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooo love the last one ... great colours and style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome ! i cant wait to learn some techniques =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sweet stuff!

I love your use of color!

my sketch book - http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62448

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just put these two up in the "finished" forum

My latest college project was to produce a couple of "pre-production" paintings for a theoretical film project of William Gibson's "Neuromancer".

I have chosen to illustrate two scenes, the first shows the interior of the "Freeside" space-station, the second is the sanctuary of "Lady 3 Jane Tessier-Ashpool". I'd really appreciate any feed back on these, especially from any of the pros out there, as my course finishes soon and I'll be looking to get work, so any advice to get my work up to professional standards is more than welcome.

Thanks and enjoy

Members who have read this thread: 1